Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Game 62: Hornets @ Pistons

I've been questioning Drummond for a while now.

He's a slightly better Tyson Chandler without the killer instinct. Still young though so who knows but you can't teach drive and determination and he lacks consistency in that area.

If he played during the Bad Boys era on any team, would he play at all or would he just be a nice bench warmer?

Davis scored 43 points on the #2 defense in the league last night. He shot 73% from the field. Greg Monroe sucks.

Oh, and the thing nobody wants to talk about. The Pistons held the Pelicans to an Ortg of 93.5 and their season average is 108.4.

So even though Davis went off in this game, overall their defense was pretty good against the Pelicans.

I don't think people understand how good Tyson Chandler is

he is good now. He was terrible in chicago when he was drummond's age.

he is good now. He was terrible in chicago when he was drummond's age.

but he made 2/3 of his FTs even in Chicago and was always a ~35% shooter out to 16'. Andre has a much bigger mountain to climb wrt shooting than Chandler did.

Edited by Gehringer_2

dude, Chandler has almost no offensive game. If he was the offensive stud you're making him out to be he'd average more than 9 ppg for his career. They're not keeping the ball out of his hands despite his fg% being almost 60% for his career because he's an offensive monster.

dude, Chandler has almost no offensive game. If he was the offensive stud you're making him out to be he'd average more than 9 ppg for his career. They're not keeping the ball out of his hands despite his fg% being almost 60% for his career because he's an offensive monster.

I didn't say he was any kind of stud, just that he wasn't a better than 50% chance to brick a free throw or an 8 footer if he's caught with the ball in his hands and the clock is winding down, so even if Andre matches other parts of his game, this is one where he is not likely to grow into Chandlers capabilities set, he has to make up for it somewhere else. Since Andre is already a beast at rebounding and putbacks, there isn't much room for him to grow there, so where is the improvement in his game going to come? That is the larger question. It seems it will have to be on D, and so maybe it all comes back to that motor/motivation question....

Once again we played to a wash (at best) in the frontcourt with the edge going to Charlotte because they got anything they wanted. Jefferson and Zeller go 14 for 19 (74%!) for 35 points. Our bigs go 14 of 24 for 34 points. I will continue to question investing our future and a significant amount of our cap in this froncourt combo until I can see that they dominate the opposing frontcourt the majority of nights. Put up all the stats you want, but if your counterparts on the opposition are putting up the same (or better on most night) then that's the definition of average. I'm not paying two players max salary for an "average" frontcourt. That's just bad ROI.

I didn't watch the game. But a month ago it wasn't about scoring, it was about defense to win games. Sounded like we couldn't score tonight.

Shooting was an issue, but the bigger problem was still our defense. When we're playing defense we get easy buckets which is essential when you struggle to score in the halfcourt like we do. Stan's post-game comment was basically, "Neither team played defense in the first half. Our guys came out and felt that was acceptable for the second half as well, but the Hornets didn't and they decided to play some defense." They shot 52% against us as a team and you just aren't winning very many games like that.

mostly when we question Drummond the answer is he is still too young to evaluate ultimate value. I just wish he would give us more evidence that he is moving in a positive direction fast enough to get somewhere before he loses his physical advantages.
The good news is he is still just 21 years old. I realize we give him more leeway than Monroe or others we criticize but that is because he is still our best chance to find somebody to build around.

I'm struggling with this excuse lately. Yes, he's 21...but he's also been in the league for 3 years now. This isn't a 21 year old draft pick, it's a 21 year old starter averaging 28 minutes/game for his 3 year career. I think we can start saying that his ceiling isn't that far out of sight anymore. Not that he's there yet, just that we can see it a lot more clearly than we could before. And I think the clarity I have is that he's not Dwight Howard nor will he ever be. More like Tyson Chandler if he could find Chandler's motor, which is part of the problem.

Interesting side note: SVG took some of the blame by saying that he was out-coached because he didn't come up with an answer for the MKC on Jackson switch.

Edited by Betrayer

I don't think people understand how good Tyson Chandler is

Or how far he has come since he came into the league straight out of high school . . .

Oh, and the thing nobody wants to talk about. The Pistons held the Pelicans to an Ortg of 93.5 and their season average is 108.4.

So even though Davis went off in this game, overall their defense was pretty good against the Pelicans.

No Anderson for the Pelicans that game, IIRC.

No Anderson for the Pelicans that game, IIRC.

Of course not. He is missing his annual 2 months of the season. We should totally trade for him.

If you believe Drummonds ceiling is Tyson Chandler, he should be traded now.

Drummond could very well not "figure it out" for four or five more years. I'm not opposed to trading Drummond for a starting SF, draft picks and a rotation big.

Of course not. He is missing his annual 2 months of the season. We should totally trade for him.

We can get Ryan Kelly on the cheap, would rather do that.

If you believe Drummonds ceiling is Tyson Chandler, he should be traded now.

I'd be ok with that.

Drummond to the Knicks for their first round picks in 2015 (unprotected), 2017 (protected), and Hardaway.

We'd have a top 3 pick, a top 8 pick, all kinds of flexibility with our contracts, and cash to spend.