Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Game 61: Pistons @ Rockets

I assume he has a plan. I do not assume he has the correct plan.

You give him the benefit of the doubt that he has a plan, not that he's necessarily made a good call or not. Again, DJ and Singler were not pieces of the puzzle to bringing us to the promised land. Will Jackson do so or not, who knows, but Stan has a plan and RJ's style of play is part of that plan. He didn't bring him in hoping he'd become a lights out 3 pt shooter

We acquired a guard under duress with a very short time window. Under those circumstances why would we assume SVG was able to get his ideal candidate? I'd assume he would take the best guard that was available given what he had to trade (which wasn't much!) and try to make it work. You always want to take talent when you can get it. If you can't make it work, they you decide how to restructure - he doesn't have a long term contract. And after all, if Monroe walks, then RJ may be playing with one less big immobile body clogging up the paint and he might suddenly be a better fit.

You don't need 'a' plan as a GM, you need layers of plans....

EDIT: Foster with a column about Piston guards needing to make more 3s and Reggie being the future. Hmm, something there doesn't parse big guy. Jackson's numbers over 10 ft are bad and have always been bad, certainly problematic.

Foster: Pistons ailing, but future is bright

Edited by Gehringer_2

Getting back to bishop's point, i wonder if this move was made because he knew monroe is leaving and that he is going to replace him with a stretch 4 to play with drummond and a small forward who can actually shoot?

Maybe svg is playing the long game by getting another lottery pick and then making moves to set the team up his way for the future?

Thats one way to look at it.

Getting back to bishop's point, i wonder if this move was made because he knew monroe is leaving and that he is going to replace him with a stretch 4 to play with drummond and a small forward who can actually shoot?

Maybe svg is playing the long game by getting another lottery pick and then making moves to set the team up his way for the future?

You have to wonder this. I've been saying we can't keep Monroe and Jackson both due to the spacing issues. Well, unless you deal Drummond instead which I don't want.

I think it is pretty apparent that Monroe is planning on leaving this summer. I highly doubt he took the QO to turn around an re-sign this summer. Assuming the money is pretty equal I don't see him returning.

It'll suck, but we need shooting. Bad. Kyle Singler was not the answer. He's a solid bench guy but as a starter he's abysmal. We need to add a good small forward and likely a stretch 4 this summer... In addition to solidifying the bench with another wing that can score. I like the Winslow kid from Duke.

Carroll will likely be available in UFA and Middleton is a RFA. Gotta imagine SVG will target them. I don't see much in the way of a stretch 4 available but they may be able to get someone from a team looking to clear cap space in the form of a trade for Butler's non-guranteed 4.5 million dollar deal.

What a terrible idea. Hopefully that isn't the case.

What a terrible idea. Hopefully that isn't the case.

would you max monroe and deal drummond for wiggins?

Why would anyone give SVG the benefit of the doubt as a GM?

Coach? Yes. GM? He's done nothing to show he knows what he's doing as a GM. All his moves have made the Pistons worse except cutting Smith, which is costing us a lot of cap space because he couldn't trade him.

Why do you hate GMs so much? Even when they do well you say they are awful.

Why do you hate GMs so much? Even when they do well you say they are awful.

I say they do well when i think they do well.

i dont take a position and then keep trying to back it up despite all evidence to the contrary like some people. Cough.

would you max monroe and deal drummond for wiggins?

I don't think Monroe will get the max, but I would pay him.

And I would deal Drummond for Wiggins in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even think about it.

Talk about keeping or not keeping Jackson is immaterial at this point. Until we know what his contract will look like we have no clue if he has value to the team or not.

$8M a year - I keep him, no doubt about it.

$10M a year - Coin flip, probably leaning towards a yes because of the difficulty Detroit will have attracting talent.

$12M a year and up - Nope.

They can negotiate a sign and trade then couldn't they?

They can, but I wouldn't count on it happening.

Talk about keeping or not keeping Jackson is immaterial at this point. Until we know what his contract will look like we have no clue if he has value to the team or not.

$8M a year - I keep him, no doubt about it.

$10M a year - Coin flip, probably leaning towards a yes because of the difficulty Detroit will have attracting talent.

$12M a year and up - Nope.

were signing him for 4 and 48. Whatever he turned down (or wanted) from okc.

were signing him for 4 and 48. Whatever he turned down (or wanted) from okc.

Depends if he gets an offer like that to put pressure on the Pistons. I would let him walk if he did.

Depends if he gets an offer like that to put pressure on the Pistons. I would let him walk if he did.

So would i. But i bet we dont.

When it comes to power forwards I think a trade would likely be the best route to go if Monroe leaves.

Marvin Williams would have 1 year left for 7 M and we could likely get him cheap in a trade... Maybe for Butler to help Charlotte clear cap space to add some needed scoring.

Taj Gibson appears to be the odd man out in Chicago. Mirotic has really stepped up as a stretch 4 behind Gasol and of course they have Noah in the middle. Doesn't make much sense to keep Gibson around when he can't play center for 8.5 M per year.

Millsap is unrestricted, as is Jonas!

Mirza Teletovic is a restricted free agent and Thad Young will likely be unrestricted as I doubt Brooklyn brings him back at 10 M