Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Game 60: Pistons @ Pelicans

Davis has played 2 more games than Westbrook, so it isn't the injury problem keeping him from MVP consideration.

My guess is the fact NO wont make the playoffs. Everyone agrees the NBA is a game that can be dominated by a single player. People will hesitate to vote him as the leagues best player if his team wont make the playoffs.

Not a big deal. He will be in the MVP discussion for the next decade.

No doubt. Davis is going to win MVPs and titles. His time is coming.

Are you guys seeing Davis on the level of a young Kareem or at the time, Lew Alcindor?

Are you guys seeing Davis on the level of a young Kareem or at the time, Lew Alcindor?

Never watched either of those two guys play besides highlights and such.

My comparison is a freakishly athletic Dirk. 6'11 with handles and touch. Not to mention he is already fantastic defensively. That's the guy I would want to build my team around.

When I watched Anthony Davis in college, I never thought he would be as good as he is right now in the NBA. Did you guys think he would be this good?

Where do you think Drummond's ceiling is? Has he hit his ceiling? He is somewhere around a 13 ppg, 12-13 rpg type of player or can he still get better?

Yes

He won't change a ton offensively, but I think he'll grow to understand defesive rotations and positioning better, incrementally each year with SVG.

Reminds me more of young KG, but a better shot blocker. Maybe better offensively too

Davis has played 2 more games than Westbrook, so it isn't the injury problem keeping him from MVP consideration.

My guess is the fact NO wont make the playoffs. Everyone agrees the NBA is a game that can be dominated by a single player. People will hesitate to vote him as the leagues best player if his team wont make the playoffs.

Not a big deal. He will be in the MVP discussion for the next decade.

Yah, its not really fair, but his injuries came midseason where as people have put Westbrook's injuries out of their mind by now.

The bottom line is that Curry,Lebron,Westbrook,Davis and Curry have been the 5 most valuable players this year and its not close. Its one of the few times I've seen the eye test types and the analytic types agree so strongly. Whoever wins out of that group I can't have a huge problem with. Curry will probably snag it if I had to guess. Him and Harden have't missed as many games as the others.

Never watched either of those two guys play besides highlights and such.

1969-lew-alcindor-signed-yearbook-3.jpg

Is it me, or does that Lew Alcindor look an awful lot like a young Kareem?

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Why did he change his name?

I had absolutely no idea they were the same person. Converted to islam while at UCLA says wiki. Wow.

Edited by T&P_Fan

Why did he change his name?

I had absolutely no idea they were the same person. Converted to islam while at UCLA says wiki. Wow.

Just better this happened among friends....

:laugh:

Just better this happened among friends....

:laugh:

Ha! I could have truly embarrassed myself.

His mama called him Clay, I'm calling him Clay

A man has the right to change his name to vatever he vants to change it to. And if a man vants to be called Muhammad Ali, g******t this is a free country, you should respect his vishes, and call the man Muhammad Ali!

Good to see Meeks have a good game. With how horrible Butler has looked they should probably give either Williams or Miller some time there.

DeMarre Carroll would be a cheaper target this summer. He would be a solid upgrade since he's good defensively and can shoot the 3

Why? Westbrook should be the MVP. He is doing things no one has done since MJ.

Let's compare Jordan's stat line from '89, when he strung together 7 TDs to Westbrooks to current.

Jordan: 32.5 PTS, .538 FG, .850 FG, 8.0 REB, 8.0 AST, 2.9 STL, 0.7 BLK, 3.0 TO, 40.2 MIN

Wstbk: 27.0 PTS, .434 FG, .839 FG, 7.0 REB, 8.2 AST, 2.1 STL, 0.2 BLK, 3.9 TO, 33.2 MIN

While Westbrook has put up some big numbers, let's not jump the gun here. Jordan was a more efficient scorer and a superior defender that year, guiding his team to a 47-win season in the toughest division in basketball (Pistons, Cavs, Bucks Hawks all very tough back then) en route to making the ECF. I applaud Westbook's effort for holding down the fort against the expansion-caliber Sixers last night and everything, but my biggest issue with Westbrook is that he doesn't understand that he isn't the best player on his own team when Durant is in the lineup . . . his brand of hero ball has cost OKC in the past late in games with Durant on the floor and unless that changes somehow, I don't see MVP in his future.

I would go 3/24 for Carroll. He will be 29 on opening night next year. Good size and a very good defender. 36 % from 3 last year and 39 % this year.

They'll likely use their lottery pick on a good young wing as well.

Let's compare Jordan's stat line from '89, when he strung together 7 TDs to Westbrooks to current.

Jordan: 32.5 PTS, .538 FG, .850 FG, 8.0 REB, 8.0 AST, 2.9 STL, 0.7 BLK, 3.0 TO, 40.2 MIN

Wstbk: 27.0 PTS, .434 FG, .839 FG, 7.0 REB, 8.2 AST, 2.1 STL, 0.2 BLK, 3.9 TO, 33.2 MIN

While Westbrook has put up some big numbers, let's not jump the gun here. Jordan was a more efficient scorer and a superior defender that year, guiding his team to a 47-win season in the toughest division in basketball (Pistons, Cavs, Bucks Hawks all very tough back then) en route to making the ECF. I applaud Westbook's effort for holding down the fort against the expansion-caliber Sixers last night and everything, but my biggest issue with Westbrook is that he doesn't understand that he isn't the best player on his own team when Durant is in the lineup . . . his brand of hero ball has cost OKC in the past late in games with Durant on the floor and unless that changes somehow, I don't see MVP in his future.

So has Durant's "non hero ball". They're two of the best 5-10 players in the world and their games compliment each other perfectly. Everyone needs to stop trying to find a problem with it

Westbrook has been holding down the fort ever since he came back from injury. He has literally willed that entire team to a playoff spot.

He's the league MVP and I don't think it's all that close.

And TP, I'm disappointed that you didn't know that Lew Alcindor was Kareem Abdul Jabbar's original name. For Shame

It is so hard to measure Kareem against Davis because Kareem pretty much played against more physical bigs in a more physical league. Davis, unfortunately, only has an aging Duncan as a living measuring stick, as the current crop of bigs are pretty weak in comparison to the eras in which Kareem's career spanned. Kareem is 3rd all-time in blocks, and that is without his first four seasons being accounted for due to it being a "new" stat. If we can extrapolate those numbers based on his amazingly consistent and excellent production based off his other stats we can see he would have probably averaged 3.5 to 3.7 blocks per game over that period. But with the evolution and proliferation of the 3pt shot, do Davis' shot blocking numbers become more impressive than the monster shot blockers--like Kareem--of old? Maybe, maybe not. It is so hard to compare eras, but . . . Kareem played against Wilt, Walton (in-prime), Laneir, Reed, Hayes, Unseld, Hayes, McAdoo, ATrain, (H)Akeem, Ewing, Parrish, Laimbeer, Moses, Thurmond, Nater--mostly guys who would knock your teeth in before surrendering their position in the paint with the exception of McAdoo who was more finesse like today's crop.

I think Kareem is one of the few NBA centers of yesterday who would be great in any era due to his elite athleticism and tools at 7'2". Further, it is one of the reasons Kareem is absolutely in the conversation for best NBA player of all-time. With continued development, Davis can also be in that conversation .

People overlook Kareem's passing ability, but this is a guy who once averaged 5 AST per game and 3.6 over his career--he's 40th in league history in that category as a center and the top scorer ever. Davis has improved to 1.7 dimes per game this year, but the good news is that he turns the ball over even less. Davis also hasn't developed into an elite scorer as of yet, but I am confident he will get there with health and more work. Kareem's skyhook prolonged his career and kept him valuable on offense for several years after his athletic skills diminished greatly.

Davis, as the best big in the league, needs to have many more games like he did last night against Detroit. He is such a high percentage bet to score, and he should be averaging a good bit better than 6.6 trips to the line per game considering his high FT percentage. If he conditions the way Kareem did (working out and training with Bruce Lee isn't an option for Davis, but there are a ton of great trainers in the country) Davis will help himself greatly as well. His team needs him on the floor way more than 35.4 minutes per night--he should be pushing 40 at his age.

The Davis vs Kareem comparison is a good one from an athletic, raw tools standpoint. Davis just need more work, refining and experience to reach that level. This reminds me of the Karl Malone vs Chris Webber comparisons back in the late 90s. Similar bodies, similar gifts, similar potential but Webber just didn't have the longevity or IMO the desire to be great like Malone. It will be fun watching Davis write his own chapter in NBA history.

Westbrook has been holding down the fort ever since he came back from injury. He has literally willed that entire team to a playoff spot.

He's the league MVP and I don't think it's all that close.

That's the thing, OKC has enough horses where he doesn't have to "will" his team to earn it the win. Whether or not that is Brooks' doing is relevant, though.

So has Durant's "non hero ball". They're two of the best 5-10 players in the world and their games compliment each other perfectly. Everyone needs to stop trying to find a problem with it

Durant is the best player in the world, IMO. Westbrook may be the 10th.

Durant is the best player in the world, IMO. Westbrook may be the 10th.

No bro. Just no. Westbrook is over taking Durant right before our eyes. And in no way shape or form is any other human better at basketball than Lebron James, Durant included.

That's the thing, OKC has enough horses where he doesn't have to "will" his team to earn it the win. Whether or not that is Brooks' doing is relevant, though.

What horses do you speak of? With Durant and Westbrook out of the lineup the Thunder couldn't win a game.