Sydney_Fife

Game 57: Cavs @ Pistons

Yeah it's like all the improvement KCP has seemed to make has been negated by the regression Meeks has had. He was especially brutal today. Did the loss of Jennings have anything to do with it?

Meeks just hasn't been able to make shots... Really a shot of late it seems... Everything from the perimeter seems to be short with him... He had a back issue before and missed a lot of time so I don't know if that has flared up again or what.... But it's been a big, big hit to this team's offense.

Meeks only had 1 game over 20pts iirc. I just don't think he's that good. I'd like to agree with SVG that he will be fine (I think that's what SVG said) but I just don't think he's all that and a bag of chips.

Jackson had a nice game. 22, 8, and 9 is a nice line for a PG. He would have double digit assists if some knuckleheads could hit a few shots.

You can really see how unfamiliar he is with the offense and teammates though. More than a few times he ran the PnR into the same side of the floor where another Pistons player was instead of the other open side, and that brings a third defender into the equation. That stuff will work itself out over time though. He also did a really nice job on Irving.

Meeks isn't a star but he was a shooter off the bench at the beginning and was a nice boost for the team... He shot very well last year with the Lakers.

Monroe and our backup PG play really killed us tonight.

In your mind you understand that the D and the matchups on the other side matter, but even so the degree to which Monroe can go back and forth from world beater to invisible night by night is kinda mind boggling to watch.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Stan is doing two sets at the Comedy Castle this weekend.

https://twitter.com/David_Mayo/status/570431323019411459

Drummond needs to start hitting free throws. It is the most fundamental shot in basketball besides a layup/putback.

Or somehow cause a distraction and get Meeks to the line to shoot for Drummond and hope nobody notices.

Drummond needs to start hitting free throws. It is the most fundamental shot in basketball besides a layup/putback.............

I agree as it is always baffling when pro basketball players can't shoot over at least 50% from the free throw line uncontested. IMHO, all pro players should shoot at least 60% from the free throw line.

(Kind of off the subject, but why is whitesox.com selling tickets on this site? There was an ad on the left side of this page for whitesox.com.)

Edited by nd1377

we miss 12 they miss 4...that's a big discrepency. Had high hopes when I saw the half time score. Bummed to wake up to this loss. Particularly by such a margin. Scored more in the 2nd quarter then we did in the 2nd half....that's embarrassing

I agree as it is always baffling when pro basketball players can't shoot over at least 50% from the free throw line uncontested. IMHO, all pro players should shoot at least 60% from the free throw line.

(Kind of off the subject, but why is whitesox.com selling tickets on this site? There was an ad on the left side of this page for whitesox.com.)

Apparently the Clippers played a high profile game this/last week and the opposition Hack-a -Shaq'd DeAndre Jordan and they had their panties all in a bunch on ESPN about how the NBA has to change the rules. I say BS, I'd go the other way, I'd make it more difficult for guys with negative shooting skills to stay in the league. Guys that can't shoot make the game painful to watch - including the one of our own. The two minute rule has already been a big enough mistake in the wrong direction.

What's next in sport? My left tackle can't block so I get a 3 count before the defensive end is allowed to rush? We get to stop pitchers from throwing curves to Alex Avila? The Wings get to skip shoot-outs when Howard is in goal? [/rant]

Edited by Gehringer_2

Meeks just hasn't been able to make shots... Really a shot of late it seems... Everything from the perimeter seems to be short with him... He had a back issue before and missed a lot of time so I don't know if that has flared up again or what.... But it's been a big, big hit to this team's offense.

Meeks has been my biggest disappointment this season--I have to chalk it up to the back issue because I know he is the best shooter on the team when all things are equal.

Apparently the Clippers played a high profile game this/last week and the opposition Hack-a -Shaq'd DeAndre Jordan and they had their panties all in a bunch on ESPN about how the NBA has to change the rules. I say BS, I'd go the other way, I'd make it more difficult for guys with negative shooting skills to stay in the league. Guys that can't shoot make the game painful to watch - including the one of our own. The two minute rule has already been a big enough mistake in the wrong direction.

What's next in sport? My left tackle can't block so I get a 3 count before the defensive end is allowed to rush? We get to stop pitchers from throwing curves to Alex Avila? The Wings get to skip shoot-outs when Howard is in goal? [/rant]

I'll argue it the other way.

Basketball is the only sport I can think of off the top of my head where it is often advantageous to foul late in the game when losing.

Or, alternatively, fouling late often (usually?) increases the losing team's chance of winning. I'm not sure that makes much sense.

Looking good

We were up 12, I think, when I posted this and it all went downhill after this post. I think I will stay off the forum during Pistons games the rest of the year! lol

We were up 12, I think, when I posted this and it all went downhill after this post. I think I will stay off the forum during Pistons games the rest of the year! lol

Unless you were the one who insisted on having Greg Monroe guard Kevin Love, I don't think you're to blame here.

I actually wasn't that discouraged by the result. They outplayed Cleveland for 2+ quarters, they just couldn't keep up the pace and the Jackson led offense seemed out of sync in nthe second half.

The positive is that once Jackson gets used to the system and his teammates, the team could really take off. I was a little skeptical about Jackson being much of an upgrade on Augustin because I hadn't seen much of him outside of the playoffs but you can see how big his upside is. Flashes of utter brilliance and a tremendous ballhandler so once he gets comfortable here, it's going to be a treat to watch.

Games like last night are why I'm a bit lukewarm on giving Monroe the max contract. Offensively, he just can't elevate over true big men and defensively, he can't cover stretch 4's of which there are many in the league nowadays. I'm going to give my boy Draymond Green another plug. If you put him on Love, I guarantee that he doesn't go off like that. That's the beauty of a player like Green, the versatiliy to cover several positions and the ability to create matchup nightmares for slower bigs like Monroe on the other end. Monroe just doesn't have that ability to cover multiple positions and it hurts them in games like this.

In any event, the #7 or #8 playoff spot is the Pistons to lose. I think they are clearly better than all the other "contenders" for those spots. I just hope that Cleveland stays at the 3 spot, that's the one team I'm confident that the Pistons can't beat in a playoff series.

Edited by NYLion

Unless you were the one who insisted on having Greg Monroe guard Kevin Love, I don't think you're to blame here.

Monroe guarding Love is fine. Monroe hedging on the ball handler isn't. Nobody in the NBA can offer help defense on LeBron and cover Love at the same time.

Monroe guarding Love is fine. Monroe hedging on the ball handler isn't. Nobody in the NBA can offer help defense on LeBron and cover Love at the same time.

True. Giving up 102 to the Cav is not a horrible defensive effort overall. This game was winnable if they can make some shots and some FTs. They could have had a much bigger cushion at the half if they had knocked down some of several wide open looks they had managed to get themselves that they didn't hit.

Monroe guarding Love is fine.

That's nonsense; the Monroe-Love matchup cost the Pistons the game last night. The problem wasn't strictly hedging the ball-handler last night. It was two-fold of hedging picks inproperly (either way too long, which happened twice, or, hedging out too high, which happened about 30 ft. from the basket on a LeBron PnP in the 3rd q.) and getting too far into the lane when playing helpside. Monroe doesn't have the quickness to cover the necessary ground to close out on good shooters. Same thing happened in Bosh's 20 point quarter a few weeks back. Go watch all of Love's threes from last night and tell me how many Monroe defended properly and then tell me why you insist on coming to the guy's defense.

That's nonsense; the Monroe-Love matchup cost the Pistons the game last night. The problem wasn't strictly hedging the ball-handler last night. It was two-fold of hedging picks inproperly (either way too long, which happened twice, or, hedging out too high, which happened about 30 ft. from the basket on a LeBron PnP in the 3rd q.) and getting too far into the lane when playing helpside. Monroe doesn't have the quickness to cover the necessary ground to close out on good shooters. Same thing happened in Bosh's 20 point quarter a few weeks back. Go watch all of Love's threes from last night and tell me how many Monroe defended properly and then tell me why you insist on coming to the guy's defense.

You lose any credibility when you blame his inability to guard Love for the loss. I think scoring 31 points in a half might have a little to do with the loss.

True. Giving up 102 to the Cav is not a horrible defensive effort overall. This game was winnable if they can make some shots and some FTs. They could have had a much bigger cushion at the half if they had knocked down some of several wide open looks they had managed to get themselves that they didn't hit.

The Cavs ORtg last night was 107 and their season average is 110 so the Pistons defense was fine. Like you said, the Pistons lost this game on offense.

The way I look at Monroe's free agency is this- If they sign him, great. If they don't, they'll have plenty of space to sign his replacement.