Sydney_Fife

Game 57: Cavs @ Pistons

Game is tomorrow at 7:30 P.M on FSD. Figured I would make this now with the off-day today.

Should be a pretty good game. We played them tough the last time we played them but Irving and LBJ killed us for 72 combined points... Hopefully with RJ and Tayshaun we can contain them better than Augustin and Singler attempted to.

Can't wait. I've gotten to a point where I know the Pistons aren't better than quite a few teams, but at the same time I now wholeheartedly believe they have a pretty reasonable chance to beat just about any team in the NBA.

Can't wait. I've gotten to a point where I know the Pistons aren't better than anybody, but at the same time I now wholeheartedly believe they have a pretty reasonable chance to beat just about any team in the NBA.
I have to think you mean something else, but I disagree...I think they are better then lots of teams out there. Frankly I think they're probably better then 2/3rds of the league....edit:okay maybe overstating it, but certainly half the league...and match up well against some of the teams that are 'better' overall Edited by DaBishop

Yeah, I tried to change the post quickly, but it just kept doing that waiting to post circle thing. Just came to change it again right now, now that I had some time.

I think we are actually about in the same boat. I think there's probably about five teams in the conference that deserve to be considered better than the Pistons. The Cavs are one of those teams. But that said, I don't sit down watching a Pistons game against the Cavs thinking the Pistons have a 10% chance of winning the game. I think the Cavs are the favorite, but a Pistons' win wouldn't be shocking to me by any stretch.

In other words, I don't look at them as a 28-win team that better hope and pray this is their day to get one of those couple lucky wins against one of the better NBA teams. That's pretty much how it's been since the Going to Work Pistons era died.

Can't wait. I've gotten to a point where I know the Pistons aren't better than quite a few teams, but at the same time I now wholeheartedly believe they have a pretty reasonable chance to beat just about any team in the NBA.

Exactly. I watched a good part of the 1st half against Wash and even though they were behind it seemed clear it was Pistons holding themselves back so that when I had to go do a few things and came back in the 4th, I fully expected them to be ahead.

Having Monroe and Dre puts us in almost any game. Now we have Jackson with KCP and our guard talent is good too. Lets see what Prince can do.

Ridding the team of Smith, being coached by SVG and hate to say it, but a contract year for moose and we are playing some really good basketball. I'm a little concerned with Dre getting worn out after playing on the US team all summer.

With Jackson in town, I feel a lot better about facing the Cavs. Dramatically reduces the odds that Kyrie will be the reason we lose this game. The LeBron matchup is still problematic, but Tayshaun is a defensive upgrade on Singler. I believe last time they played, SVG tried Tolliver on James; didn't go well because he couldn't stay in front of him.

Cavs' have the 4th best offense in the league, but 20th defense. Getting Mozgov in foul trouble early (not an impossibility at close to 4 fouls/36, 5.5/100 poss.) would go a long way towards opening up the offense for RJ pick-and-roll attacks. Thompson is a mediocre rim protector at best and I doubt Perkins will play tonight. If that doesn't happen, we'll probably need a good outside shooting night to get a W.

On defense, I'm hoping to see Monroe's minutes at PF beyond the first quarter limited to times where Love isn't on the floor. Tolliver's just a way better matchup because he's less likely to lose him on the perimeter, and when he does, he's got the athleticism to close out competently. Other than LeBron-anyone and Love-Monroe, I like the way we match up. Should be a good, close game. I'll take Pistons 102 Cavs 97 because I'm a homer when it comes to picking individual games.

Monroe did a really nice job on Love the last game. Curious to see if he can continue that. Either way, the key to that matchup is punishing Love when Detroit is on offense. His defense is pretty bad and Monroe should be able to have his way with him in the post.

One of Irving or James can go off and the Pistons can still win. If both go off again then the Pistons lose.

Monroe did a really nice job on Love the last game. Curious to see if he can continue that. Either way, the key to that matchup is punishing Love when Detroit is on offense. His defense is pretty bad and Monroe should be able to have his way with him in the post.

One of Irving or James can go off and the Pistons can still win. If both go off again then the Pistons lose.

I agree that they need to punish Love on the block, but I don't know that Monroe did a good job defending Love on the perimeter. He just missed a lot of open looks that night. Here's the NBA.com living box score of Love's 8 3PA in that game: NBA.com/Stats

Monroe had one really nice closeout and then lost him a few times. Just that Love didn't make him pay. Monroe has been better at defending stretch fours this season, but I still would prefer Tolliver got his fair share of minutes defending Love tonight.

Monroe contested three or four of those shots. Love is bound to get some open looks in that offense with so much attention being paid to James and Irving.

Nobody is going to confuse him for Tony Allen though.

Let's all think back to the last time when Tay was in a Pistons jersey and Lebron was in a Cavs jersey and they matched up against each other time and again...

Got the image in your head? OK, now can we stop imagining that Tay is going to have any effect on Lebron's game tonight? He's always been torched by Lebron. Now Tay's even older and less athletic.

Also, it's important to note that Tay is not a defensive upgrade on Kyle at this stage of his career. In fact, Kyle was playing darn good defense before he left. His defensive Diff% was at -1.9, meaning players shot 1.9% less than their average against him. Tay's is at 0 for the year, meaning players get exactly their average against him.

That's ok, because we didn't trade Singler straight up for Tay to get an upgrade. We moved Singler to bring in Jackson, then we had to get another guy to play SF so we traded two players who were rotting on the bench.

Now, are there reasons to like Tay? For sure. He's shooting a better percentage than Singler from pretty much everywhere and he's a better rebounder. That's all good stuff. But, let's not pretend that we brought him in here to be a defensive stopper on guys like Lebron at this stage in his career.

Cleveland's a tough team (thank you captain obvious) but they seem to play one of 2 ways...they're either a top 3 team in the league or a team with no identity. We got them once as the latter and once as the former. They're due to play like the former after a 16-2 run. Irving is shooting 50% on 110 attempts from behind the arc which is nuts for him. He's due to cool down and hopefully SVG and Jackson can put something together to prevent him from getting so many open looks. Love will get no love inside so he better do his work outside to make a difference in this game. Lebron will get his...if we can keep Irving in check I think we win this game by pounding inside.

Let's all think back to the last time when Tay was in a Pistons jersey and Lebron was in a Cavs jersey and they matched up against each other time and again...

Got the image in your head? OK, now can we stop imagining that Tay is going to have any effect on Lebron's game tonight? He's always been torched by Lebron. Now Tay's even older and less athletic.

Also, it's important to note that Tay is not a defensive upgrade on Kyle at this stage of his career. In fact, Kyle was playing darn good defense before he left. His defensive Diff% was at -1.9, meaning players shot 1.9% less than their average against him. Tay's is at 0 for the year, meaning players get exactly their average against him.

That's ok, because we didn't trade Singler straight up for Tay to get an upgrade. We moved Singler to bring in Jackson, then we had to get another guy to play SF so we traded two players who were rotting on the bench.

Now, are there reasons to like Tay? For sure. He's shooting a better percentage than Singler from pretty much everywhere and he's a better rebounder. That's all good stuff. But, let's not pretend that we brought him in here to be a defensive stopper on guys like Lebron at this stage in his career.

PFAW4Mt.jpg

I agree with all of this.

But let's be real- no one is stopping Lebron when he is rolling like this. At best you make things uncomfortable for him as a team. One guy can't match up with him.

Tay shut down Kobe in 2004, so he is will shut down LBJ in 2015.

Book it.

I like your optimism and I hope you're right. I'm sure there will be a lot of Cleveland fans at the game tonight and I hate having to hear the other team's fans cheering and turning the Palace into their home court.

Looks like we might have a PG that can finish at the rim. Still remembering Jackson's finish over Gortat with the lefty finger roll.

Energy in the arena for a Tuesday night game is pretty impressive.

Tayshaun may find he likes playing for this team more than he expected. I know he wanted to be bought out but the Pistons situation right now is not all bad.

I was really down on KCP early in the season. Seems like he has settled in though and is playing with much more confidence these days.