Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Jackson doesn't necessarily end Brandon Jennings' Pistons tenure

Stan Van Gundy: Reggie Jackson, Brandon Jennings can fit

He said there could be room for both point guards, and given Jennings’ health and the commitment for Jackson, that may be exactly what happens.

“I think that’s an extremely important position, number one,” Van Gundy said. “Number two, we’ve got to see where Brandon is with his health. There’s always the possibility of those guys playing minutes together, as Reggie did with (Russell) Westbrook in Oklahoma City — he’s big enough.”

“There’s a lot of uncertainty around Brandon, and so we needed to make sure we were protected,” Van Gundy said. “Plus, Brandon’s only signed through next year. So we wanted to get a long-term option and there’s still plenty of room for Brandon. So we look forward to his recovery. I think it takes the pressure off him having to rush back, which is a positive thing. And we can move forward.”

More at the link

Not a big fan of both them playing.

Whatever. No sense in saying "yea, there's no fit for him now". That doesn't exactly give you much leverage in a trade scenario.

Whatever. No sense in saying "yea, there's no fit for him now". That doesn't exactly give you much leverage in a trade scenario.

Yeah, because nobody could figure that out on their own.

I just can't see Jennings coming back to full strength inside the duration of his contract. Servicable? Maybe, but will that be better than a 2nd-year Dinwiddie in a backup's role?

None the less, it is great to have options now.

Jennings is gone IMO. They need to clear his salary to make other moves and Dinwiddie is emerging as a solid backup and for much cheaper.

All this SVG talk about playing them together is just window dressing. He's not going to come straight out and say that Jennings doesn't have a place here anymore.

He almost has to start the season on the roster. Nobody is trading for a guy that is still hurt and hasn't shown he has recovered. Unless Detroit just gives him away.

They might have to give him away if they want to re-sign Monroe and Jackson as well as make other moves (Green hopefully).

To lose out on Monroe or Jackson just because they want to get value for Jennings doesn't make sense or maybe SVG could still fit them all in somehow?

I do know that it would kill my dream of offer sheeting Green. :cry:

They might have to give him away if they want to re-sign Monroe and Jackson as well as make other moves (Green hopefully).

To lose out on Monroe or Jackson just because they want to get value for Jennings doesn't make sense or maybe SVG could still fit them all in somehow?

I do know that it would kill my dream of offer sheeting Green. :cry:

Well, most likely they would have to take salary back in a trade. So that probably wouldn't create any extra room.

And with my crude calculations, they can max Green out and still keep Monroe and Jackson. I mean, we will have to see where the cap ends up at and hope those two don't try to hold the Pistons hostage for a huge deal. But I'm confident it can be done.

Jackson, KCP, Green, Monroe, Drummond. Talent and youth at every starting position.

Well, most likely they would have to take salary back in a trade. So that probably wouldn't create any extra room.

And with my crude calculations, they can max Green out and still keep Monroe and Jackson. I mean, we will have to see where the cap ends up at and hope those two don't try to hold the Pistons hostage for a huge deal. But I'm confident it can be done.

Jackson, KCP, Green, Monroe, Drummond. Talent and youth at every starting position.

I think Monroe is going max but they can also go over the cap to sign him so the key will be to get him signed first. Jackson turned down 12M a year from OKC and maybe that's because he wasn't happy there or maybe it's because he knew that he could get an even bigger deal if given the opportunity with another team so I expect him to get a near max deal as well if he puts up the numbers that he did when Durant and Westbrook were out.

They are also going to have to calculate eventual raises for Drummond and KCP although that's more of a worry later about it situation.

I guess it could be done but SVG is going to have to get creative to get it done. I think he needs to sell to these guys that they are building something special so maybe they can take a bit of a discount.

Boy, if he can get that done and OS Green successfully? This team shoots up to top 4 in the east, maybe higher.

Jackson and Monroe will both have cap holds that are smaller than their salary next year. So you want to sign the external free agent first to use up your cap space. Then go over the cap to sign Monroe and Jackson.

Nastradamus recently brought up Harrison Barnes. If you guys like him I think its more likely they could land him in 2016. I think GS clears cap space somehow and matches any offer for Green. Even if they have to enter the luxury tax for a season until Lee comes off the books.

Another thing to note. The cap is going to jump big time in 2016. Most are saying at least $10M in that year alone, because of the new TV deals. So having money left for Drummond isn't a huge worry. The cap going up will take care of any problem there.

Jackson and Monroe will both have cap holds that are smaller than their salary next year. So you want to sign the external free agent first to use up your cap space. Then go over the cap to sign Monroe and Jackson.

Nastradamus recently brought up Harrison Barnes. If you guys like him I think its more likely they could land him in 2016. I think GS clears cap space somehow and matches any offer for Green. Even if they have to enter the luxury tax for a season until Lee comes off the books.

Ah, I see. Didn't know that was the case with Jackson as well.

Green does seem like a pipedream at this point. It's too bad that he's not eligible for UFA because I think it would be more likely that he would leave GS at that point due to his supposed desire to play close to home.

In any event, they need to lock up Monroe and Jackson as their top 2 priorities then go from there. I'm not sure that they sign any free agents until they know the status of those two.

Maybe Jackson turned down the deal cuz he knew he wouldn't be starting in OKC.

At this point I'm not sure how good Jackson is but I'd rather max Monroe since he was drafted here and hope to sign Jackson to something lower. AFTER signing a FA SF if there is one available.

I am not all in on signing Monroe like some of you guys but I do think there is value in keeping your own young players, especially for a franchise like the Pistons that does not attract free agents. I really want Green. I wonder if there is a sign and trade to be head between Green and Monroe.

I am not all in on signing Monroe like some of you guys but I do think there is value in keeping your own young players, especially for a franchise like the Pistons that does not attract free agents. I really want Green. I wonder if there is a sign and trade to be head between Green and Monroe.

Based on your assessment of both players, why would GS do that?

Why is there so much love for Draymond Green? Is it because he is from Michigan and went to MSU? Why would he be worth a max contract?

Why is there so much love for Draymond Green? Is it because he is from Michigan and went to MSU? Why would he be worth a max contract?

Flavor of the month.

Seriously though, he said he wanted to get an offer from us. He spends off seasons in Mich.

But more importantly for me, he plays defense. He has experience in the playoffs. He's young, etc.

He is not. But that is how RFA works unfortunately.

Flavor of the month.

Seriously though, he said he wanted to get an offer from us. He spends off seasons in Mich.

But more importantly for me, he plays defense. He has experience in the playoffs. He's young, etc.

I was replying to the 'Why the love' part of the question.

He's a young, up-and-coming player with strong defense at a position of need who has expressed (as much as possible) an interest in the Pistons. The Saginaw/MSU ties probably play into it a bit, as well, but if he was a scrub that wouldn't matter.

I personally am on board with re-signing Monroe and going with him at the 4 and Drummond at the 5. That way one of them is out there at all times basically with Monroe being the backup center. We can really beat teams up inside and on the boards.

Tolliver and Anthony off the bench give us depth.....

Del... For my salary cap calculations, would Jackson also have a 10 million dollar cap hold like Moose? Or does it depend on salary? TIA

I personally am on board with re-signing Monroe and going with him at the 4 and Drummond at the 5. That way one of them is out there at all times basically with Monroe being the backup center. We can really beat teams up inside and on the boards.

Tolliver and Anthony off the bench give us depth.....

Del... For my salary cap calculations, would Jackson also have a 10 million dollar cap hold like Moose? Or does it depend on salary? TIA

His cap hold will be $5,510,923. You can go here

ShamSports.com: NBA Salaries index

Then select the team you want and on the team page it will list free agents cap holds. They still have Jackson on OKC's page so look there for him.

Based on your assessment of both players, why would GS do that?

They probably wouldn't unless they knew Green preferred Detroit and really wanted to be here. I do think Green has taken on somewhat of an inflated value on this board and maybe even around the league...partly because he plays for Golden State. The stats don't blow you out of the water. Not to say he isn't good; just that like Monroe, he is probably the third or fourth best player on a championship team. Are those usually max contract guys on actual championship teams? I would guess not.

Plus I just think he is a much better fit for us. If we did not have Drummond, I would prefer Monroe to Green.

They probably wouldn't unless they knew Green preferred Detroit and really wanted to be here. I do think Green has taken on somewhat of an inflated value on this board and maybe even around the league...partly because he plays for Golden State. The stats don't blow you out of the water. Not to say he isn't good; just that like Monroe, he is probably the third or fourth best player on a championship team. Are those usually max contract guys on actual championship teams? I would guess not.

Plus I just think he is a much better fit for us. If we did not have Drummond, I would prefer Monroe to Green.

People that don't watch games and just try to use stats and box scores to judge Green wont like him.

Parsons and Hayward received max deals last year and neither one of them is a #1 or #2 guy on a title team. That is the nature of the beast when it comes to restricted free agency. Most of the time you are not paying the player fair market value. You are paying him so his team wont match.