Deleterious

Reggie Jackson traded to Detroit

I like the trade. SVG will get a chance to develop a young PG with starter minutes. Much bigger than DJ iirc. We won't have DJs contract over the next couple seasons. It was only 3 mil but eliminates it. Seems like Jackson has a much higher ceiling and no one better than SVG to get the most out of him.

Reggie Jackson is a RFA and we got him for trash, what gives? There has to be more.

DJ is a good backup PG under contract. They knew Jackson was gone after this year. Not sure that's what they were thinking though.

Kind of glad to see JJ go. He was down the depth chart or I should say down on SVGs depth chart. He should get some more time.

DJ is a good backup PG under contract. They knew Jackson was gone after this year. Not sure that's what they were thinking though.

I like DJ, but his profile is not what you would consider an asset on the trade market normally. He is a good back-up PG, but we have to have given up a protected a 1st, as someone else said, Utah didn't trade Kanter for Kendrick Perkins. I think that is where we can come in with the draft picks.

Wojnarowski said Pacers made a serious push for Jackson but lost out to the Pistons.

How serious could it have been if we landed him for DJ and Singler?

Wojnarowski said Pacers made a serious push for Jackson but lost out to the Pistons.

How serious could it have been if we landed him for DJ and Singler?

My guess is they wouldn't give Utah what we gave Utah. I haven't heard for sure what the picks were, but seems like a 1st is in order or else why would Utah do it?

I like DJ, but his profile is not what you would consider an asset on the trade market normally. He is a good back-up PG, but we have to have given up a protected a 1st, as someone else said, Utah didn't trade Kanter for Kendrick Perkins. I think that is where we can come in with the draft picks.

Reports say 2 future 2nd round picks.

Reports say 2 future 2nd round picks.

2nd round picks are what teams give other teams when they know they are ripping them off.

This seems like a great trade. SVG took DJ off the scrap heap and turned him into a guy that rejected 4/$48M last year. And one who can maybe play defense. Can't wait to see what he does with this guy.

Jackson has potential for sure and he was solid as a starter for OKC. He has good size at 6'3'' as well. Some things that concern me are:

-Defense: He has the size and wingspan to be a good defender but he's not according to the numbers. In fact, he and Augustin have the same Diff%. Maybe that's a product of OKC. Maybe not.

-3 Pointers: He's nearly Josh Smith bad at threes (27%) and yet he shoots three of them per game.

-DJ arguably has better starter stats: DJ is shooting 45/40 from the field/3, while Reggie shot 42/27. Reggie is a better rebounder with a couple more per game and their assist to turnover is nearly identical.

-Apparently he has some attitude issues and there are reports of his teammates not passing him the ball on purpose because he cares more about personal stats then winning.

He's a rental, so at the very least it gives us some nice flexibility this summer If he flourishes under Stan then we own his rights. If not, then we can let him walk or push for a sign and trade.

Unfortunately, nearly every team we're chasing got better. Brooklyn gets Thaddeus in place of KG's corpse. Boston gets Isiah Thomas. Heat get Dragic.

I guess Tay will have to be the one to swing the balance in our favor :laugh:

I hope Reggie can be ready to play tomorrow, otherwise we're going to have a pretty darn small team.

I've seen a lot of negative reaction to this on Detroit Bad Boys. Not sure I really understand that. Jackson is a better player than Augustin. Singler can shoot a little bit but provides absolutely nothing else. Prince will be 35 next week and he's not very good anymore... but he does provide defense on the wing. Jonas was buried and Datome was an afterthought. The only guy we moved that I think we would've had next year is Augustin... and we replaced him with a better player.

And I guess we gave up a second rounder? Who cares? lol. Honestly. People will complain about anything.

I've seen a lot of negative reaction to this on Detroit Bad Boys. Not sure I really understand that. Jackson is a better player than Augustin. Singler can shoot a little bit but provides absolutely nothing else. Prince will be 35 next week and he's not very good anymore... but he does provide defense on the wing. Jonas was buried and Datome was an afterthought. The only guy we moved that I think we would've had next year is Augustin... and we replaced him with a better player.

And I guess we gave up a second rounder? Who cares? lol. Honestly. People will complain about anything.

Agree with this.

And the upside could be huge. Let SVG coach Jackson for the rest of the year and see what we have in Jackson.

Team play data followed by Jackson's.

uPBAB5s.png

UqNtvmn.png

His shooting chart.

ok90VNb.png

His fourth quarter stats in games where the score is +/- 5 points. First one is the entire 4th qtr and the second one is just the last two minutes.

0Qj5lR6.png

PG's with better PPP than Jackson on PnR plays:

Steph Curry

Chris Paul

Darren Collison

Jeff Teague

Mike Conley

Aaron Brooks

With a better scorer running the PnR the defense will have to pay more attention to him. That opens up stuff for Andre diving to the hoop after he sets the screen. Or Tolliver flaring out to the 3PT line after he sets the screen. We just have to wait and see if Jackson has the ability to find those guys when open.

From a Thunder blog.

Five quick thoughts on Deadline Day | Daily Thunder.com

2. The Thunder traded a really good player in Reggie Jackson. Here’s the thing: Jackson may go to the Pistons and be fantastic. Revisionist history may decide the Thunder messed up big time, with everyone laughing at them for trading Jackson just like they did for dealing James Harden. But here’s reality: The Thunder had a guy that didn’t want to be here. It wasn’t only affecting him, but it was affecting people around him. Jackson’s on-court production had dramatically dipped, and he was doing things that screamed he didn’t want to stay. Soft on-ball defense, a lack of aggressiveness attacking the basket (don’t get hurt!), lots of bad jumpers, not-so-subtle media comments and of course, the trade request.

Again, Jackson may average 20-5-5 for the Pistons. He’s really good. But the Thunder were never going to get the best out of him. He had his mind made up, and it wasn’t to get on the bus with the Thunder. That’s what’s so often missed in these kinds of situations: It’s not about collecting talent; it’s about how that talent fits together. And Jackson no longer fit.

2 more paragraphs at the link

Augustin and Singler aren't good at a lot of things, but they are good at what they do. Which is a good fit for OKC.

Jackson is better overall, which is more relevant to a team like the Pistons who aren't realistically shooting for a title in the near future.

This was pure and simply a trade for a higher-end future asset. An asset that is probably even an upgrade this year. Very opportunistic.

Augustin and Singler aren't good at a lot of things, but they are good at what they do. Which is a good fit for OKC.

Jackson is better overall, which is more relevant to a team like the Pistons who aren't realistically shooting for a title in the near future.

This was pure and simply a trade for a higher-end future asset. An asset that is probably even an upgrade this year. Very opportunistic.

Singler is good at something? I more or less always thought of Singler as a guy that wasn't good at much of anything but had enough court sense that you could play him without him hurting you a lot.

Singler is good at something? I more or less always thought of Singler as a guy that wasn't good at much of anything but had enough court sense that you could play him without him hurting you a lot.

He's a very good shooter. The rest of his offensive game doesn't hurt you, at least.

But no real loss for the Pistons, IMO. Augustin is the only guy they'll miss, for the next year or so, but Jackson should be better short term and long term.

(Mlive article confirms that the Pistons gave up two 2nd round picks in the deal, 2017 and 2019. One to Utah, one to OKC.)

It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I see these trades as garbage for 2015. We are not better off today than yesterday, IMO, and we surely won't make the playoffs now. Longer term (i.e. next year and beyond) it makes us better because Singler, Datome, Jerebko were likely gone anyway and Jackson is a better player than Augustin. But, this year, DJ+3 were going to give us a better shot to make the playoffs in 2015 vs Jackson/Prince, especially since we're introducing a new PG with only 25 games to go in a playoff race. It'll take 10-20 games for Jackson to jell with the offense, so goodbye playoffs. Excited for what this gives the Pistons in the offseason and beyond, though.

It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I see these trades as garbage for 2015. We are not better off today than yesterday, IMO, and we surely won't make the playoffs now. Longer term (i.e. next year and beyond) it makes us better because Singler, Datome, Jerebko were likely gone anyway and Jackson is a better player than Augustin. But, this year, DJ+3 were going to give us a better shot to make the playoffs in 2015 vs Jackson/Prince, especially since we're introducing a new PG with only 25 games to go in a playoff race. It'll take 10-20 games for Jackson to jell with the offense, so goodbye playoffs. Excited for what this gives the Pistons in the offseason and beyond, though.

They should be building for the future, this team isn't built to win this year so this deal makes complete sense.

The problem I have is that I'm not sure how good Jackson really is and will he be worth the money that he's going to get? Also, will he sign with the Pistons because if he walks at the end of the season, the Pistons gave up assets for nothing. It's a risk that could be really pay off but it's a risk nonetheless. I think this means that Jennings will be shipped out if they come to terms with Jackson, I can't see those two co-existing. With Jennings run of solid play, he probably raised his trade value fairly significantly.

I wish they could somehow fit all of Jackson, Green, Monroe and Drummond under the cap safely enough to still build a bit of depth around them because that would be a real solid core to build around. Don't think it could be done unfortunately.

They have no young talent on that roster, and no draft picks coming. Interesting situation.

Sounds like the kind of situation that leads to Pat retiring for a year or two until the next good situation opens up. Maybe spend some time with his family.

Let's say the Pistons lock Jackson up. He was offered 4/48 this summer. I'll go with that 4/52 to be conservative on our cap outlook

Jackson- 13

Jennings- 7

Meeks 6.2

Smith 5.5

Drummond 3.2

Tolliver 3

KCP 2.8

1st rounder- 2

Gray 1.3

Dinwiddie 0.7

2nd rounder- 0.7

Total: 44.4 million

Cap: 66 million

Space: 21.6 million

They'll need 2 small forwards and a solution to the Monroe unrestricted free agency. If we assume that Monroe re-signs, we have a 10 million dollar cap hold which would push our space down to 11.6 million. If we use our lottery pick on a potential bench guy at small forward, then we would have 11.6 million to play with to fill the hole at small forward.

I do have one question... Can we now go over the cap to re-sign Jackson?

Edited by Sydney_Fife

They should be building for the future, this team isn't built to win this year so this deal makes complete sense.

The problem I have is that I'm not sure how good Jackson really is and will he be worth the money that he's going to get?

Let SVG coach him up and evaluate him. Then decide his worth at the end of the year. I'm ok with that.

Also, will he sign with the Pistons because if he walks at the end of the season, the Pistons gave up assets for nothing.

They gave up a backup PG and Singler. I liked DJ but he can be replaced IMO. And singlets worth was his contract. So cheap.

It's a risk that could be really pay off but it's a risk nonetheless. I think this means that Jennings will be shipped out if they come to terms with Jackson, I can't see those two co-existing. With Jennings run of solid play, he probably raised his trade value fairly significantly.

I wish they could somehow fit all of Jackson, Green, Monroe and Drummond under the cap safely enough to still build a bit of depth around them because that would be a real solid core to build around. Don't think it could be done unfortunately.

On the last part, I read that we could but the free agent would have to be the second player signed and then go over to sign Monroe.

The bolded part is opinion and the last part is what I read somewhere today. So not too sure of any of it.

Let's say the Pistons lock Jackson up. He was offered 4/48 this summer. I'll go with that 4/52 to be conservative on our cap outlook

Jackson- 13

Jennings- 7

Meeks 6.2

Smith 5.5

Drummond 3.2

Tolliver 3

KCP 2.8

1st rounder- 2

Gray 1.3

Dinwiddie 0.7

2nd rounder- 0.7

Total: 44.4 million

Cap: 66 million

Space: 21.6 million

They'll need 2 small forwards and a solution to the Monroe unrestricted free agency. If we assume that Monroe re-signs, we have a 10 million dollar cap hold which would push our space down to 11.6 million. If we use our lottery pick on a potential bench guy at small forward, then we would have 11.6 million to play with to fill the hole at small forward.

I do have one question... Can we now go over the cap to re-sign Jackson?

Yes. We have his full Bird rights so we can go over the cap to keep him.