tigermojo

Roster discussion

I think we are saying the same thing but in different ways. "Healthy" to me means that he has no rust, everything feels great, he is throwing the way he did at the end of 2012. If he has rust or is having some other issues that make him anything less than that, then sure, I would send him to Toledo for awhile to get fully "healthy."

Not really. I delineate between health and performance. Actually, I think most people do. Being healthy implies that one is physically capable. It is possible, and perhaps even likely, that Rondon is physically capable but not ready to perform up to the level required to be considered a set-up man or even a MLB reliever.

At this point, I have no reason to doubt that Rondon is healthy. Indications are that he is throwing without pain, which is great. But I have every reason to be skeptical that he can perform as needed, and more importantly as currently being relied up on by the organization. Eighteen months is the guideline for most TJ recoveries, Rondon will be at 12 months when the season opens. He hasn't pitched in a year. And he wasn't the most experienced or polished guy to begin with. I'm concerned that there is no apparent back-up plan if it turns out he is not ready come opening day, to say the least. And I'm disappointed that the organization continues to dismiss signing MLB veterans to minor league deals as a way to provide quality MLB depth.

Sure, sign Dolis, Duran, Melville, et al. But you can't realistically expect these guys to do much at the MLB level, and you certainly can't say that any of these guys are Plan B to Rondon not being ready.

Rondon will be the easiest decision to make. In that if he's ready for opening day, it'll be obvious, if he's not that will be obvious too.

I agree that Alex Wilson will be on the opening day roster. I didn't notice he was off the first couple lists.

Hanrahan experiencing soreness means he's probably not going to be healthy -> effective enough to be on the roster.

I agree that Alex Wilson will be on the opening day roster.

I hope so - it's a lot more fun when your AAT is on the big club! (For me, anyway)

Do the Tigers have the most uninspiring group of non-roster invites in the history of the Grapefruit League?

Do the Tigers have the most uninspiring group of non-roster invites in the history of the Grapefruit League?

Other than hanrahan, there isn't much to write home about. I'm not sure it is much different than in years past, though.

Are we talking all non-roster invitees (like young prospects) or just cast offs on minor league deals?

Who did we have last year?

Other than hanrahan, there isn't much to write home about. I'm not sure it is much different than in years past, though.

Are we talking all non-roster invitees (like young prospects) or just cast offs on minor league deals?

Who did we have last year?

Catchers: Craig Albernaz, Luis Exposito, James McCann, John Murrian

Infielders: Danny Worth, Devon Travis

Outfielders: Tyler Collins, Ezequiel Carrera, Trevor Crowe

Right-handed pitchers: Jhan Marinez, Luis Marte, Eduardo Sanchez, Drew VerHagen

Left-handed pitchers: Duane Below, Blaine Hardy, Robbie Ray

Only 5 still with Tiger organization Not a very good selection.

The new list of invitees has potential:

The Tigers announced Tuesday that they’d invited 17 non-roster players to spring training, which begins with the first workout for pitchers and catchers on Feb. 20.

That number includes seven pitchers, most of whom will be in contention for any remaining open spots in the bullpen.

The Tigers signed lefty Omar Duran (25) and righties Rafael Dolis (27), Tim Melville (25) and Alberto Cabrera (26) to minor-league deals this offseason, while Luke Putkonen and Joe Mantiply are former draft picks. Lottery ticket free agent Joel Hanrahan is back for one more try, after he was unable to return to the mound last season, continuing his recovery from Tommy John surgery.

It also includes infielders Jordan Lennerton and Aaron Westlake, both of whom could make the squad as first basemen, should Miguel Cabrera’s ankle not allow him on the Opening Day roster. Jefry Marte (23) is a third baseman and 33-year-old Josh Wilson is a utility inielder who could replace the role once filled by fellow Mt. Lebanon, Penn., graduate Don Kelly, now with the Marlins.

Outfielder Xavier Avery, a former second-round pick of the Orioles, joined the Tigers on a minor-league deal this offseason, while outfielder Jason Krizan, a lefty-hitting former eighth-round pick of the Tigers, hit .293 last year at Double-A Erie.

There were also four catchers invited. Tigers signed catcher Miguel Gonzalez to a minor-league deal out of the White Sox system, and picked up catcher Manny Pina midseason last year.

Austin Green, a Tigers 13th-round pick in 2013, has yet to play about high-A ball, while the Tigers have high hopes and expectations for Grayson Greiner, their third-round pick in last year’s draft.

What about Melvin Mercedes? People seemed to be excited about him as a prospect, then he came up for exactly one game, and now he's off of the 40 man. Is he even in camp?

Edited by BoomGaspar
Correcting typo

What I have been trying to figure out is who will be counted on to be clutch with Don Kelly gone.

No roster discussion is complete without mention of Robinson.

That's so true - I often forget about him when we're analyzing position-by-position, because he can play all of them. Same with the rotation vs. the bullpen, he's both, also leadoff vs. cleanup, etc. This is probably the year he makes the jump from Toledo for good.

What about Melvin Mercedes? People seemed to be excited about him as a prospect, then he came up for exactly one game, and now he's off of the 40 man. Is he even in camp?
He is in camp.