holygoat

Scherzer signs with Nats

7/$180+ million

url=http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/report-max-scherzer-has-a-seven-year-deal-with-the-nationals/]Max Scherzer has a seven-year deal with the Nationals

"As MLB Pipeline points out on Twitter, the Nationals are forfeiting pick #27 in the 2015 draft with the signing of Scherzer. The Tigers gain pick #35."

Best of luck to him and the Nationals. Four or five years from now they may regret signing him.

At least he will not be troubling us in the A.L. and may (hopefully!) only be a problem to us in October!

Now we are free to see if Shields will come to Detroit and stay with his mate Price for an extended time.

Best of luck to him and the Nationals. Four or five years from now they may regret signing him..........

IMHO, I give him 2 good years and then the decline.

Disappointing but after he rejected the Tigers offer last year and got persnickety about the public discussion by the Tigers, I only held out false hope that he'd be back.

I like Max, but I think this is the right move. What will be interesting is to see if they ink Price, try to trade him at the deadline for more talent, or let him walk.

Not worth the money, Verlander wasn't (and we are now regretting it ) and neither was Max. Way to long a contract for a power arm.

Agree this is the correct move for long term, but hate not having the guy this season. If we sign Shields that would make me feel a lot better.

I just don't feel very confident in this team being only very slight favorites in the division, especially with injury questions surrounding our best hitter and us relying on several older guys who could miss time as well.

Sure, a few years ago I would have loved to have even been in the conversation, but times, expectations and payroll have changed.

Maybe the window we were worried about closing is now closed? Unless they get a stud SP, I could see our ownership of the AL Central being over. Trading Fister and Porcello doesn't look very smart now.

Trading Fister always looked dumb. The odd part is that the Nationals now officially have a glut of starting pitchers, with Tanner Roark as their #6. Seems like they have good reason to swing a deal, but only if it gets some major $$ off the Nats' books. Don't see the Tigers as a good trading partner at this point, but I would be happy to acquire any of the other 5 guys, including Tanner Roark.

Maybe the window we were worried about closing is now closed? Unless they get a stud SP, I could see our ownership of the AL Central being over. Trading Fister and Porcello doesn't look very smart now.

I think at worst right now we are co-favorites for the division, and I'm not even sure with whom.The Royals lost a bit. The White Sox gained a lot, but was it enough? The Indians probably would worry me the most, but all of those teams have at least as many flaws as we do, if not more.

Shields does not excite me at all, unless we get a very team-friendly contract.

I think that's a bit of an overreaction. Who has a hitter comparable to miggy? who has a pitcher comparable to price?

I am pretty bummed. As of now the team is worse than last year with a smaller margin of error. Thats not good.

I am pretty bummed. As of now the team is worse than last year with a smaller margin of error. Thats not good.

I'm not entirely convinced of either of these points. Or at all, really. They'd be even better with Scherzer but that doesn't mean they're worse than last year. The offense and defense are much improved, and we will have a full year of Price. It's also quite possible that JV is better than last year, though that's hardly a given.

As for the other teams, KC played way over their heads and lost quite a bit, probably including their best starter also. CWS got a lot better but not enough. They have more weaknesses than the Tigers do. The Indians worry me, a lot, but are they a 90 win team? I don't think so.

I will say that there will be quite a bit more guess work to do this year than last. The roster has changed a ton. I'm just not certain that they're worse and that another team will match the Royals 89 wins from last year.

I think that's a bit of an overreaction. Who has a hitter comparable to miggy? who has a pitcher comparable to price?

The White Sox and Indians.

I think the Indians and Tigers are pretty close. If the Indians are not a 90 win team, then neither are the Tigers.

Is the window closed? Of course not. That's shock jock crap.

But I think it is safe to say that the current iteration of the team, both this year and years to come, is a tick below the 2013 and 2014 teams. But those teams were unique and hard to build with any sort of consistency.

I sure if we had signed him I'd be excited, but there is no doubt that this is the right move for the franchise. Now all they have to start doing is drafting s little better.

180+ over 7 years...that was enough for me to let out a nice long breathe. Thank god we were not stupid enough to offer him that kind of money. Good for him and his family, but seeya later Scherzer.

Possibly over 200?

I almost feel like I won the lottery...a small lottery, but a lottery none the less.