Stormin' Norman

2015 Draft thread

Then for his sake he better hope the Lions win a few more games so he gets drafted before they pick.

Ya, as a Michigan State fan I don't want him to get drafted by Detroit. Sure it'd be cool keep rooting for him, but I'd rather him be successful in the NFL.

Ideally I would try and trade down to get Cook somewhere around the #6-#15 pick, though by the mid-teens he'll probably be gone. That said, if I were stuck with the #1 pick and either couldn't move it or thought either him or Goff would be gone early on, I would take one of the two QB's. Some team, somewhere, will give us a good value for Stafford. If Jay Cutler got the haul he did, someone is parting with a 1st and then some for Stafford and that I don't pass up on.

Is Connor Cook that good of a QB? I don't follow college FB enough to know. I never really heard him talked about as elite level guy before, but maybe that's cause any news locally would be more MSU focused rather than NFL potential focused.

I'm no QB prognosticator, but I see Cook's peak being around the Carson Palmer level in the NFL. With a good team and quality coaching, we're talking Arizona Cardinals, Bruce Arians, Carson Palmer. If he ends up in an abysmal situation, I don't see him being the type of QB where his game alone can overcome a teams fatal flaws and still win. In that case, he probably ends up like the Oakland Raiders, Reggie Jackson level Carson Palmer. If we had new front office leadership who put a quality line in front of him and good coaching behind him, we could get the Arizona Palmer and that I would spend a #1 overall pick on.

If these comparisons turn out to be correct, I would keep Stafford.

It will be interesting to see how this season shakes out.

The Lions have some terrible teams left on their schedule. I know the Lions are not that great, but they could still win at least 6 games.

If that happens, the only hope we have of a house cleaning is if Mrs. Ford passes away and the Lions are sold.

The lions aren't good enough to be drafting other QBs right now, unless they trade stafford for other players that can fill their various needs.

I would prefer that they use their top picks to fill other positions of greater need.

If these comparisons turn out to be correct, I would keep Stafford.

No way do I take Stafford over Carson Palmer or Andy Dalton. Dalton has so far this year, taken the next step in his career, we'll see if it holds up though.

For lack of a better place to post this, I'll just treat this draft thread like a personnel thread.

Yes, please use Manny Ramirez as a center.

Lions have evaluated using Manny Ramirez more at center; feel Travis Swanson playing well | MLive.com

I used to crap on Dom Riola as much as the next guy. Sometimes though, you overstate how bad things really are with a guy when you have to see him play all the time. When comparing Riola to Swanson, I think we're all guilty of that.

I used to crap on Dom Riola as much as the next guy. Sometimes though, you overstate how bad things really are with a guy when you have to see him play all the time. When comparing Riola to Swanson, I think we're all guilty of that.

Does anybody know if Dom called out most of the coverages/assignments for the line? I was wondering if having him gone led to a lot of the o-line miscues this season, it seems like wayyyy too many plays happen with the line double/triple teaming random defenders while others get untouched shots on Stafford.

Does anybody know if Dom called out most of the coverages/assignments for the line? I was wondering if having him gone led to a lot of the o-line miscues this season, it seems like wayyyy too many plays happen with the line double/triple teaming random defenders while others get untouched shots on Stafford.

I seem to recall that he did.

No way do I take Stafford over Carson Palmer or Andy Dalton. Dalton has so far this year, taken the next step in his career, we'll see if it holds up though.

Stafford and Dalton have been pretty similar players. Dalton throws a few more picks is all. He's also had more help than Stafford. That team is loaded in both skill guys and OL. Lookin' good this year though. Palmer at the same age I'd have to say was a worse player than Stafford, though he is clearly playing at a different level right now. His career playoff record is 0-2 though, at age 36. It took him until 35 until he had a season that could be particularly differentiated from your average Stafford season.

Stafford and Dalton have been pretty similar players. Dalton throws a few more picks is all. He's also had more help than Stafford. That team is loaded in both skill guys and OL. Lookin' good this year though. Palmer at the same age I'd have to say was a worse player than Stafford, though he is clearly playing at a different level right now. His career playoff record is 0-2 though, at age 36. It took him until 35 until he had a season that could be particularly differentiated from your average Stafford season.

Dalton is on his way to a third playoff appearance, Stafford is on his way to the basement of the division, again. Dalton probably won't have the eye popping stats like Stafford had in 2011. Remove that year from the equation and Stafford looks statistically worse than Dalton.

Gotta think it'd be an upgrade. Not sure if its the smart move long term or what.

Swanson was drafted in 2014, I don't think giving him some more time to learn would hurt him long term. Right now I agree that Ramirez would be an upgrade over Swanson and I feel like the Lions might as well see how it works this year.

Dalton is on his way to a third playoff appearance, Stafford is on his way to the basement of the division, again. Dalton probably won't have the eye popping stats like Stafford had in 2011. Remove that year from the equation and Stafford looks statistically worse than Dalton.

Why should that year be removed from the evaluation?

I certainly don't think we're able to call it the "Jared Goff/Connor Cook sweepstakes" that's for sure. I'd go D or OT at #1

Agreed. Build in the trenches, that's where games are won or lost. Give Stafford a better supporting cast and he'll be just fine.

If there was a Luck level QB in this draft, I'd say to pull the trigger on that but I've seen enough of Goff and Cook to know that neither are franchise material IMO. Goff has all the tools but I'm weary of the pass happy spread offense that he plays in inflating his stats a bit. Cook I'm kind of meh on. He has an accurate arm and the size but looks a little clumsy in the pocket.

They're both putting up similar numbers in terms of things like QBR on a year by year basis. Dalton's been to the playoffs 3 times, Stafford twice. You're pulling things out of your *** that just aren't true. Cincinatti has a much better team around Dalton too I'd argue. The only year they didn't have a top 10 scoring defense for Dalton, they were 12th. He's had a better running game every year than Stafford did other than one year where we ranked one spot ahead of them. They're 6th in rushing to our 32nd. They're 9th in scoring defense to our 29th. But yah, its probably Dalton that is the difference in them winning.

Agreed. Build in the trenches, that's where games are won or lost. Give Stafford a better supporting cast and he'll be just fine.

If there was a Luck level QB in this draft, I'd say to pull the trigger on that but I've seen enough of Goff and Cook to know that neither are franchise material IMO. Goff has all the tools but I'm weary of the pass happy spread offense that he plays in inflating his stats a bit. Cook I'm kind of meh on. He has an accurate arm and the size but looks a little clumsy in the pocket.

and Cook's 59% comp rate has to scare you a bit

Swanson was drafted in 2014, I don't think giving him some more time to learn would hurt him long term. Right now I agree that Ramirez would be an upgrade over Swanson and I feel like the Lions might as well see how it works this year.

No issue with this

I wouldnt take a qb with a high pick if i were detroit.

1) trade down

2) tunsil, stanley, or bosa.

I'd take one early if it was somebody like Luck or something. But I wouldn't just because a qb is the best of a mediocre qb class.

They're both putting up similar numbers in terms of things like QBR on a year by year basis. Dalton's been to the playoffs 3 times, Stafford twice. You're pulling things out of your *** that just aren't true. Cincinatti has a much better team around Dalton too I'd argue. The only year they didn't have a top 10 scoring defense for Dalton, they were 12th. He's had a better running game every year than Stafford did other than one year where we ranked one spot ahead of them. They're 6th in rushing to our 32nd. They're 9th in scoring defense to our 29th. But yah, its probably Dalton that is the difference in them winning.

So if Stafford were on the Bengals you're confident that he would have made the playoffs four times as Dalton did?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad