Stormin' Norman

2015 Draft thread

I'm one of Mayhew's biggest critics and even I wouldnt classify him as a trainwreck. He reminds me of Dumars without the championship/playoff success: very solid at trading and free agency but very weak at drafting and hiring coaches. And it's very hard to win that way, especially in the NFL. In the NBA it's obviously do-able because of the small roster size; but in the NFL there is a direct correlation to success and accomplished drafting and coaching hire.

This may be because I am a jaded Lions fan, but I don't get any satisfaction (personally) to losing in the Wild Card game. I mean yes, technically, we made the playoffs but without a win in the wild card game it doesn't really feel like it to me. No divisional championships and no win in the playoffs doesn't really count as much of an accomplishment to me.

Dumars is probably not a good comparison, but point made.

Obviously we all want to advance in the playoffs, so it is what it is.

Soooooooooooo yeah, I said screw it and started doing mock drafts tonight with my FanSpeak premium account. I posted it here because I didn't want to be that guy, starting an entire 2016 draft thread yet.

Draft #1: Standard draft with no trades, drafting from the spots given.

1st (1st pick): QB/Jared Goff: University of California

2nd: OT/Tyler Johnstone: Oregon

4th: DT/Montravious Adams: Auburn

5th: OT/Brandon Shell: South Carolina

5th: CB/Cyrus Jones: Alabama

6th: OLB/Tyler Matakevich: Temple

6th: S/RJ Williamston: Michigan State

7th: WR/Cayleb Jones: Arizona

Draft #2: Traded Matt Stafford and a 2016 5th + 6th (2x) to Houston for their 2016 1st + 2nd + 4th

1st (1st pick): OT/Ronnie Stanley: Notre Dame

1st (7th pick, From Houston): QB/Connor Cook: Michigan State

2nd: DT/Sheldon Ray: Notre Dame

2nd (From Houston): CB'/Tra'Davious White/LSU

4th (From Houston): OT/Jason Spriggs: Indiana

5th: OLB/Tyler Matakevich: Temple

7th: WR/Cayleb Jones: Arizona

Draft #3: Traded Matt Stafford and a 2016 5th + 6th (2x) to Houston for their 2016 1st + 2nd + 4th. Traded down by sending the Lions 2016 1st overall pick and Lions 4th to St. Louis for their 2016 1st + 2nd + 3rd.

1st (7th pick, From Houston): QB/Connor Cook: Michigan State

1st (14th pick, From St. Louis): OT/Taylor Decker: Ohio State

2nd: DT/Sheldon Ray: Notre Dame

2nd (From Houston): CB'/Tra'Davious White/LSU

2nd (From St.Louis): WR/Michael Thomas/Ohio State

3rd (From St. Louis): OLB/Jordan Jenkins/Georgia

4th (From Houston): OT/Jason Spriggs: Indiana

5th: G/Greg Pyke/Georgia

7th: S/RJ Williamston: Michigan State

Draft #4: What would Mayhew do? Lions trade 5th round picks to Denver for their 4th so they can move up and get WR Braxton Miller.

1st (1st pick): WR/Laquon Tredwell: Ole Miss

2nd: OT/John Theus: Georgia

4th (From Denver): WR/Braxton Miller: Ohio State

6th: OLB/Tyler Matakevich: Temple

6th: G/Greg Pyke/Georgia

7th: S/Lee Hightower: Houston <---------- Dude had a blown achilles, Mayhew likes that in a player.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Soooooooooooo yeah.........Dude had a blown achilles, Mayhew likes that in a player.

Thanks for the post. I like thinking about the draft given that the Lions season is most likely already over. Hopefully, Mayhew will not be drafting for the Lions next season.

I know it doesn't matter much, but I think you mean Sheldon Day not Ray.

How does everyone see QB Cook in the NFL? For some reason, I just don't see him as a possible elite QB in the NFL.

I like how you have the scenarios of trading Stafford. I would love to see the Lions with a new GM for a fresh start with a new QB.

I would love to see a dominating offensive line tackle, DL, and maybe a new leader LB on defense. I was thinking of Jaylon Smith at LB.

How does everyone see QB Cook in the NFL? For some reason, I just don't see him as a possible elite QB in the NFL.

One thing I like about Cook is that he has a quick release with the ball while maintaining accuracy. Any QB can gun the ball out of there after the snap, it doesn't mean their passes will be on target. In Cook's case they are. ESPN was showcasing Cook on College Gameday and went over his quick release and maintained accuracy with the football. He averaged a shade over 2 seconds after the snap before he released the ball. I think that, among a host of other intangibles, could make Cook a solid NFL QB ala a Phillip Rivers or Matt Ryan. As we often get to see Cook play because he is a local kid, we can get too bogged down in what his flaws are and start exaggerating them to be bigger than they are. Cook will be just fine in the NFL IMO.

One thing I like about Cook is that he has a quick release with the ball while maintaining accuracy.......

This would be nice to see for the Lions. A QB with above average and consistent accuracy would be nice.

I hate the idea of starting over with a new QB. If we found the right trade and the right QB prospect I could potentially get on board though. I think the right GM and OC can make this team a real contender almost instantly though, so I'm wary.

Give me Bosa, Hargraves or Tunsil in the 1st and go from there.

Quick draft review

Tomlinson - Best game of his career so far. Highest PFF grade on our offense for the day

Abdullah - Shows flashes, but no consistency and of course has the fumble issue. Still have hope for him, but we need to see more.

Carter - Still on IR for a while.

Wright - Getting about 25 snaps a game and basically gets graded as neutral each week, which is pretty solid. Just a run stuffer really at this point.

Burton - 2nd best FB in the NFL on PFF. Strong blocker, which is no surprise as he was NCAA's #1 blocking FB last year.

Diggs - I like him, but he's not playing much right now. Seems like he has potential to take Wilson's job next year.

Robinson - Making the roster was a good sign, but we really can't tell anything at this point.

Zenner(UDFA) - Was starting to look like he could help us, but now hitting IR. Damn.

Hard to make any definitive conclusions right now basically. This class will be strongly determined by whether or not it can get our run game going and whether or not Carter and/or Wright can take a starting job next year and do well in that role.

I hate the idea of starting over with a new QB. If we found the right trade and the right QB prospect I could potentially get on board though. I think the right GM and OC can make this team a real contender almost instantly though, so I'm wary.

Would a deal that netted you say, a 1st + 3rd in this years draft for Stafford be enough to make you change your mind? I really think we've hit a wall with Stafford and it is time to let a new regime come in and make whatever changes they feel need to be made. If they decide that Stafford can be saved while still in a Lions uniform, fine. But I'm not going to make it a requirement that any new GM has to promise to keep Stafford.

Quick draft review

Tomlinson - Best game of his career so far. Highest PFF grade on our offense for the day

Abdullah - Shows flashes, but no consistency and of course has the fumble issue. Still have hope for him, but we need to see more.

Carter - Still on IR for a while.

Wright - Getting about 25 snaps a game and basically gets graded as neutral each week, which is pretty solid. Just a run stuffer really at this point.

Burton - 2nd best FB in the NFL on PFF. Strong blocker, which is no surprise as he was NCAA's #1 blocking FB last year.

Diggs - I like him, but he's not playing much right now. Seems like he has potential to take Wilson's job next year.

Robinson - Making the roster was a good sign, but we really can't tell anything at this point.

Zenner(UDFA) - Was starting to look like he could help us, but now hitting IR. Damn.

Hard to make any definitive conclusions right now basically. This class will be strongly determined by whether or not it can get our run game going and whether or not Carter and/or Wright can take a starting job next year and do well in that role.

Tomlinson was great last game, I would love to see him go up against a better team to make sure this wasn't more of a fluke game of a player playing well against a poor team.

I wasn't a huge fan of the AA pick, I did get a little excited during the preseason and now have been disappointed that his issues from college are rearing their head once again.

Didn't expect much out of Carter in year one, but I do wish he was getting some snaps (like Quinten Rollins) and doing something. I don't love moving up to get him.

I liked the Wright pick, didn't like him costing us a 3rd rounder especially when we could have gotten Bennett in round 5. While Wright has been decent, I just don't like trading up like that for a primarily run-stuffing DT.

Burton has been extremely solid, but I still don't think it was necessary to draft him in the 5th, that is mitigated by the fact that he has been so productive.

Diggs has been very meh, but like you said if he can take over for Wilson that would be a marginally successful 6th round pick.

Zenner looks solid, still would have preferred Rawls as an UDFA...Michigan kid with speed to burn, had some off the field issues but as an UDFA it was a risk I would have been willing to take.

Looking back after 6 games I am still left wanting; I really dislike the direction Mayhew went with this draft outside of trading down (which I was a huge fan of). But after trading down he drafted Tomlinson (who was a reach and a position that doesn't typically warrant a first round pick), drafted AA (who had issues in college and I am fundamentally opposed to drafting RB that early in the draft...not to mention for the third time in a few years), traded up for Carter (who was a reach), traded a future third for Wright which I'm not a big fan of, in principle, especially for a run-stopping DT, and Burton has been solid, as mentioned, but was predicted to be an UDFA so not really solid value.

Edited by EchO

Would a deal that netted you say, a 1st + 3rd in this years draft for Stafford be enough to make you change your mind? I really think we've hit a wall with Stafford and it is time to let a new regime come in and make whatever changes they feel need to be made. If they decide that Stafford can be saved while still in a Lions uniform, fine. But I'm not going to make it a requirement that any new GM has to promise to keep Stafford.

Definitely not a requirement to keep him if I'm ownership. As a GM I'd have to believe in one of the QB prospects this year, feel I could land him and be able to get value for Stafford in order to make such a move though.

Tomlinson was great last game, I would love to see him go up against a better team to make sure this wasn't more of a fluke game of a player playing well against a poor team.

I wasn't a huge fan of the AA pick, I did get a little excited during the preseason and now have been disappointed that his issues from college are rearing their head once again.

Didn't expect much out of Carter in year one, but I do wish he was getting some snaps (like Quinten Rollins) and doing something. I don't love moving up to get him.

I liked the Wright pick, didn't like him costing us a 3rd rounder especially when we could have gotten Bennett in round 5. While Wright has been decent, I just don't like trading up like that for a primarily run-stuffing DT.

Burton has been extremely solid, but I still don't think it was necessary to draft him in the 5th, that is mitigated by the fact that he has been so productive.

Diggs has been very meh, but like you said if he can take over for Wilson that would be a marginally successful 6th round pick.

Zenner looks solid, still would have preferred Rawls as an UDFA...Michigan kid with speed to burn, had some off the field issues but as an UDFA it was a risk I would have been willing to take.

Looking back after 6 games I am still left wanting; I really dislike the direction Mayhew went with this draft outside of trading down (which I was a huge fan of). But after trading down he drafted Tomlinson (who was a reach and a position that doesn't typically warrant a first round pick), drafted AA (who had issues in college and I am fundamentally opposed to drafting RB that early in the draft...not to mention for the third time in a few years), traded up for Carter (who was a reach), traded a future third for Wright which I'm not a big fan of, in principle, especially for a run-stopping DT, and Burton has been solid, as mentioned, but was predicted to be an UDFA so not really solid value.

I took a quick look at some pre draft rankings and Todd Mcshay had him 101st. Walter had him going 56th. Mayock had him 91st, Drafttek 73rd, Gil Brandt 79th(the first 5 I looked at and 5 I use frequently). We took him 80. Reach could certainly be argued either way at the least.

Bottom line, I'm curious to see him play and if he can live up to his draft spot. If he can't compete for a starting job next year, it'll be disappointing.

What is mayhew worse at: trading up for running backs or drafting cornerbacks?

Unless he wants to draft fournette. I'd be down with that.

What is mayhew worse at: trading up for running backs or drafting cornerbacks?

Unless he wants to draft fournette. I'd be down with that.

Gotta call it a draw lol. Come on Abdullah and Carter!

but man, Fournette would be awesome. Much like I felt about Gurley.

I took a quick look at some pre draft rankings and Todd Mcshay had him 101st. Walter had him going 56th. Mayock had him 91st, Drafttek 73rd, Gil Brandt 79th(the first 5 I looked at and 5 I use frequently). We took him 80. Reach could certainly be argued either way at the least.

Bottom line, I'm curious to see him play and if he can live up to his draft spot. If he can't compete for a starting job next year, it'll be disappointing.

It isn't so much that we took him at 80, but we traded up for him as my main point of contention. Just didn't seem like a player I would be willing to trade up for; he is that CB/S hybrid but without the ballhawking/big play ability that I think is necessary for success at the position. I was (and still am) a huge fan of Quinten Rollins who is very similar to Carter (speed, weight, and height wise) but Rollins is much more fluid and most importantly is a turnover machine (8 total turnovers, 7 INT and 1 FF, in 12 college games for Rollins) as opposed to 6 for Alex Carter (2 INT, 4 FF) in 30 games. Not surprisingly even in Rollins limited time on the field he already has 2 INT one of which was returned for a TD.

Obviously Carter hasn't even touched the field so he has a chance to be something special, but as of right now he simply isn't the type of DB I would target.

It isn't so much that we took him at 80, but we traded up for him as my main point of contention. Just didn't seem like a player I would be willing to trade up for; he is that CB/S hybrid but without the ballhawking/big play ability that I think is necessary for success at the position. I was (and still am) a huge fan of Quinten Rollins who is very similar to Carter (speed, weight, and height wise) but Rollins is much more fluid and most importantly is a turnover machine (8 total turnovers, 7 INT and 1 FF, in 12 college games for Rollins) as opposed to 6 for Alex Carter (2 INT, 4 FF) in 30 games. Not surprisingly even in Rollins limited time on the field he already has 2 INT one of which was returned for a TD.

Obviously Carter hasn't even touched the field so he has a chance to be something special, but as of right now he simply isn't the type of DB I would target.

That's fine if you didn't prefer him but making it sound like he was some sort of factual reach was a bit much is all I was saying. Probably should have thrown in an "who I thought was a". It could just as easily be argued we stole a 2nd round value in the 3rd. I didn't sweat to much over losing the 5th that we acquired in a trade down anyways. I always thought reach was a strange term anyways, but that's a different topic for a different day.

He might end up a safety, who knows, but his best strength was the same type of coverage Austin likes to play and we have lacked size at the position for a long time, so I was excited for the pick.

Edited by Nastradamus

Gotta call it a draw lol. Come on Abdullah and Carter!

but man, Fournette would be awesome. Much like I felt about Gurley.

Looks like you were pretty spot on about Gurley although it's still too early to tell but he looks like a beast thus far as long as he can stay healthy which was my biggest concern with him.

I think Abdullah will do very well here as long as he cleans up the fumbilitis and if they ever properly utilize him.

Fournette is a different beast altogether. He's a surefire franchise back IMO, not one weakness in his game. Haven't seen a runner like him since Bo although I'm too young to witness his college years. Even though RB isn't a need, I wouldn't hesitate to take him if the Lions have a chance to grab him.

I think he's the BPA BY FAR in this draft, not even remotely close.

Fournette can't enter the draft this year

Duh, that's right. He's only a true sophomore.

Crazy to think that he probably could have been a legit NFL running back if he was in last years' draft and he won't be eligible until 2 drafts after that.

Lions Draft Spot Watch: 1st overall pick

2016 NFL Draft order and needs for every team - NFL.com

I read on nfl.com today that we are currently in line for the 1st overall pick. We are still in the running for the Jared Goff/Connor Cook sweepstakes. I hope we don't screw this up and take ourselves out of the running.

Is Connor Cook that good of a QB? I don't follow college FB enough to know. I never really heard him talked about as elite level guy before, but maybe that's cause any news locally would be more MSU focused rather than NFL potential focused.

I can see Cook as a Flacco level QB in the NFL, I also think it depends on the situation he goes to.

Then for his sake he better hope the Lions win a few more games so he gets drafted before they pick.

I certainly don't think we're able to call it the "Jared Goff/Connor Cook sweepstakes" that's for sure. I'd go D or OT at #1