Stormin' Norman

2015 Draft thread

724 posts in this topic

Just curious as to where you would address the offensive line then? What good is drafting a RB if he has no line to open running lanes for him.
I could also see in that same vain Tevin Coleman, T.J. Yeldon and Ameer Abdullah available in the 3rd.

I certainly want to add one more starting caliber OL to this team still. I want a CB, a RB and maybe a DT tho too. I think this is a really good RB class and I think our 2nd rounder will be our last chance to get one of the impact players at the position. The 3 you listed, Duke Johnson or Jay Ajayi basically. I wouldn't greatly reach for position though either and maybe you can snag Mike Davis or David Johnson in the 3rd.

I'm not sure why it hasn't worked out with Justin Blalock in FA,but that's who I really thought we should add. I think a Blalock-Swanson-Warford interior would be a pretty good run blocking group. Joseph Barksdale also intrigues me. I'd sign him to play LG but he'd be Waddle insurance. I can also live with Sims if we draft a guard before the 6th

I think OL is a possibility in the 1st,but probably only a guy they think can move Reiff off of LT. LTs are tough to find though. Reiff was PFF's 13th best LT and he's relatively young and healthy. A lot depends on how confident they are in the Waddle,Lucas and Williams group producing a starting OT next year.

Another night, another round of mock drafting. This time I forked over the $5.95 to FanSpeak so I could make trades in my mock drafts. I have a problem here, paying $5.95 just to do trades in a simulated mock draft. I feel that using the premium version, way too many teams are proposing dumb trades just to move up a few spots in round 2-3-4, making some of the scenarios below a tad unrealistic. My boy Eric Rowe also fell to the 3rd in every draft I participated in. Anyways, I did five different drafts below . . .

Draft #1: Standard mock with no trades

In this draft no trades were made and I drafted with what the Lions have at present. Of note, both Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon were available when I was picking. In real life I would expect a team like San Diego or San Francisco to have snagged one of the two before the Lions are on the clock. I debated between picking up Michael Bennett (DT- OSU) and Jay Ajayi (RB- Boise) in the 2nd, I went Bennett because of who was still on the board at RB.

1st: Ereck Flowers- OT, Miami

2nd: Michael Bennett- DT, OSU

3rd: Duke Johnson- RB, Miami

6th: Chucky Hunter- DT, TCU

7th: Davante Davis- WR, UNLV

7th: Dallas Lewellen- G, Wisconsin

Draft #2: Traded back in the 1st

In this draft I traded back in the 1st with New England. I gave them my pick at #23 and a 7th got their 1st at #32 and a 3rd. I was possibly thinking of trading out of the 1st again, seeing if anyone wanted Gordon, but I drafted him at #32 instead. New England ended up going offensive tackle here with Jake Fisher from Oregon which I thought was strange and not probable. They had Malcom Brown, the DT from Texas still on the board. That's who I would think in real life they'd pick, to replace Vince Wilfork.

1st: Melvin Gordon- RB, Wisconsin

2nd: Carl Davis- DT, Iowa

3rd: Eric Rowe- CB, Utah

3rd: Daryl Williams- T, Oklahoma

4th: Tony Lippett- WR, MSU

6th: Robert Myers- G, Tennessee St.

7th: Chucky Hunter- DT, TCU

Draft #3: Traded back in the 1st, up in the 2nd

In this draft I traded back with New England in the 1st and picked up their 1st at #32, a 3rd and a 4th. Then I moved up in the 2nd by trading with Minnesota; Vikings got my 2nd (via NE) and a 6th, Lions got

Vikings 2nd at #13.

1st: Ereck Flowers- OT, Miami

2nd: Jay Ajayi- RB, Boise St.

3rd: Gabe Wright- DT, Auburn

4th: Kevin White- CB, TCU

7th: Dallas Lewellen- G, Wisconsin

7th: Davante Davis- WR, UNLV

Draft #4: Traded out of the 1st, back in the 2nd and 3rds

In this draft I traded out the 1st round with the St. Louis Rams and picked up a 2nd, 3rd and 6th. I also traded back in the 3rd with Buffalo and picked up a 4th and 5th. How realistic is it to make this many trades, probably not very, but other teams took the bait.

2nd (STL): Jay Ajayi- RB, Boise St.

3rd (BUF): Daryl Williams- OT, Oklahoma

4th (BUF): Cedric Reed- DE, Texas

5th: Ty Montgomery- WR, Stanford

6th (STL): Robert Myers- G, Tennessee St.

6th: Trey Depriest- ILB, Alabama

7th: Devante Davis- WR, UNLV

Draft #5: Traded out of the 1st again

In this final draft the New York Jets offered me a deal before the round even started and so I took it for my final draft. The Jets got my 1st at #23 and a 7th and I got the Jets 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I wasn't intending to do a fifth full draft, but once this offer popped up on screen and Melvin Gordon fell to the 2nd I had to take it. I highly doubt that either Gurley or Gordon fall out of the 2nd, so this scenario is more a whimsical fantasy then anything. FYI, the Jets could have had Gordon, but traded up for Gurley at #23.

2nd (NYJ): Melvin Gordon- RB, Wisconsin

3rd (NYJ): Tre' Jackson- G, Florida St.

4th (NYJ): Tony Lippett- WR, MSU

6th: Corey Robinson- OT, South Carolina

Based on critical needs, I still see Mayhew trying to pick up an extra early pick, either by a trade-down, or trading a 2016 pick for a key 2015 pick.

Similar to Tater's scenarios above, I'll throw out a few:

1) Trade down their 2nd round pick for a 3rd and a 4th (let's say Oakland/ Washington/ Jets range...); they select:

1st - Eddie Goldman, DT

3rd (Jet's pick) - Tre Jackson, OG

3rd (Lions pick) - TJ Yeldon, RB

4th (Jet's pick) - Steven Nelson, CB

5th - Chris Conley, WR

6th - Derrick Lott, DT

7th - Josua Matias, OG/OT

2) Gurley falls to #23 (somehow), Mayhew trades a 2016 #1 for Redskins 2nd round pick (#38); they select:

1st - Todd Gurley, RB

2nd (Redskin pick) - Jordan Phillips, DT

2nd (Lion's pick) - Eric Rowe, CB

3rd - Laken Tomlinson, OG

5th - Chris Conley, WR

6th - Derrick Lott, DT

7th - Leterrius Walton, DT

I'd be in jump off a bridge mode if we traded a future first for Jordan Phillips

I'd be in jump off a bridge mode if we traded a future first for Jordan Phillips

OK.. replace Phillips with Carl Davis...

I'm calling our 1st rounder as either Malcolm Brown or Melvin Gordon, assuming both aren't gone.

If Gurley is there, you absolutely have to take him. Not a more impressive player in this draft. I think he's a future all pro with hall of fame potential.

Doesn't sound like he will be though, and we'll have to settle for Melvin Gordon. Wouldn't mind Byron Jones though if they wanna go the corner route.

My top 10 for Lions in Round 1:

1. Todd Gurley

2. La'el Collins

3. Bud Dupree

4. Melvin Gordon

5. Marcus Peters

6. Byron Jones

7. Landon Collins

8. Danny Shelton

9. Preston Smith

10. DJ Humphries

As talented as both Gurley and Gordon are and as electric as they might be able to make our offense, I just haven't been able to sell myself on the idea of taking a runningback in the first. This, given our needs elsewhere on the team and given the depth at runningback in the draft. That said, they'd be on my big board.

Lions draft board . . .

1st

1. Ereck Flowers

2. D.J. Humphries

3. Malcom Brown

4. Todd Gurley

5. Eric Rowe

6. Andrus Peat

7. Kevin Johnson

8. Melvin Gordon

9. La'el Collins

10. Byron Jones

2nd

1. Eric Rowe

2. Kevin Johnson

3. Byron Jones

4. Carl Davis

5. T.J. Clemmings

6. Jay Ajayi

7. Tevin Coleman

8. Mario Edwards Jr.

9. Lanken Tomlinson

10. T.J. Yeldon

I really really hope this don't take an RB in the first round.

They probably won't be able to, with Gurley going in top 10, leaving Gordon as the only other back who should be swallowed up in the top 20. He's almost certain to go to Dallas, who will undoubtably trade up to get him. The depth at RB is really strong. I'm hoping for Jeremy Langford in the 3rd.

I really really hope this don't take an RB in the first round.

I am not dead set against it, but with the depth at the position this year, I do feel we can afford to wait on drafting one.

Gurley

Shelton

(I expect the two above to be gone, but they are the "potetential sliding talents" that I would have my eye on"

M.Brown

Peters

B.Jones

Gordon

L.Collins

Clemmings

O-Dig

Rowe

Dupree

Gurley

Collins

Shelton

Ervin

Kevin Williams

Peat

Rowe

B. Jones

Peters

Davis

Coleman

Kevin Johnson?

I like Dupree a lot, but I have him gone by 13 at the latest. Never know though

He's interesting. I'd be happy if we took him, I just don't know how we view his skill set.

I'm with Nastradamus in that it looks like Shelton and Gurley are the two that appear to have the most fluid draft spots in the 1st... I don't know why the Lions brought Shelton in for a look except that they think they have a chance drafting him? I still think Cleveland takes him at #12 or #19... but if Cleveland passes (for whatever reason Mayhew thinks there's a chance of that happening...?), maybe he slides to #23?

I still take Gurley if he falls to us, he's #1 on my board.

And it also appears that almost all of the CB's I like in the 2nd round are getting pushed into the 1st round, as usual.

1 more thing: I wish we had, like, (4) 2nd rounders this year...

My top 10:

1. Todd Gurley

2. Danny Shelton

3. La'el Collins

4. Malcolm Brown

5. Cameron Erving

6. Melvin Gordon

7. DJ Humphries

8. Carl Davis

9. Eric Rowe

10. Kevin Johnson

PS (EDIT): Totally forgot about Cameron Erving. I gotta put him at #5 and drop off 1 of the CB's. I put Johnson below Rowe as I think Rowe has versatility as both an excellent press-CB as well as an excellent centerfielder-type FS...

Edited by 84 Lives!!!

I'm with Nastradamus in that it looks like Shelton and Gurley are the two that appear to have the most fluid draft spots in the 1st... I don't know why the Lions brought Shelton in for a look except that they think they have a chance drafting him? I still think Cleveland takes him at #12 or #19... but if Cleveland passes (for whatever reason Mayhew thinks there's a chance of that happening...?), maybe he slides to #23?

And it also appears that almost all of the CB's I like in the 2nd round are getting pushed into the 1st round, as usual.

My top 10:

1. Todd Gurley

2. Danny Shelton

3. La'el Collins

4. Malcolm Brown

5. Melvin Gordon

6. DJ Humphries

7. Carl Davis

8. Kevin Johnson

9. Eric Rowe

10. Byron Jones

Teams bring in players you wouldn't think would drop down all the time. They might have different reasons to look at him. He might go to the Bears, I would want to know all about him then.

My top 10:

1. Todd Gurley

2. Danny Shelton

3. La'el Collins

4. Malcolm Brown

5. Melvin Gordon

6. DJ Humphries

7. Carl Davis

8. Kevin Johnson

9. Eric Rowe

10. Byron Jones

Cleveland could trade 12 and 19 for #2 and take Mariota.