Stormin' Norman

2015 Draft thread

724 posts in this topic

The problem with the Lions drafting Laken Tomlinson is that I don't think they'll have the opportunity to do so. I have a feeling he'll be off the board by the mid-second round. I'd love to grab the guy, just not before selecting the best available tackle, both offensive and defensive.

I see (4) top-3-round needs. DT, OG, RB, CB.

I would not be pleased going into this season with only Joique Bell and Theo Riddick as our RB's. I hope no one on here is seriously happy with that scenario.

I'd be more than fine drafting a Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, Jay Ajayi, or T.J. Yeldon in the 3rd, assuming the Lions trade back in the draft. There is ample opportunity for the Lions to move back, pick up draft picks and then select a quality running back. The need isn't as pressing IMO to go and select one in the first round. The only way I am picking one in the 2nd is if one of Gordon or Gurley are still no the board.

I'd be more than fine drafting a Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, Jay Ajayi, or T.J. Yeldon in the 3rd, assuming the Lions trade back in the draft. There is ample opportunity for the Lions to move back, pick up draft picks and then select a quality running back. The need isn't as pressing IMO to go and select one in the first round. The only way I am picking one in the 2nd is if one of Gordon or Gurley are still on the board.

Sorry... but I go with BPA. Need doesn't trump BPA for me... unless we absolutely do NOT need who BPA is available. And Gurley is a far more supreme talent, if he falls to 23, then anyone else available. He's a top 10 pick except for the ACL...

Back to NOT needing the BPA: let's say Gurley is gone and Mariota falls to 23... and a bidding war ensues for our pick. I'd certainly do a trade-down for more picks.

Now... moot point on selecting Gurley because I don't think he'll last to 23. But if he did, he'd be my pick.

Since it's moot point, it looks like lineman will be available at #23 if you're looking for BPA at a position of need: Malcolm Brown (maybe), Eddie Goldman, Jordan Philips, Carl Davis on Defense/ Humphries, Clemmings, Fisher on Offense...

I don't like the tackles in this draft. There isn't one that I think will be a dominating left tackle.

I don't like the tackles in this draft. There isn't one that I think will be a dominating left tackle.

Same here.

I'd prefer a DT at 23 if Gurley is already selected... although the DT's have some warts too...

No, but there are some decent RT options. Given Reiff's ability to play multiple positions if the Lions acquire a LT after this year they can move him at a later date. There is a gaping hole Guard still as well.

I like Goldman, Peat, P.J. Williams, Jordan Phillips, Humpheries in the first. Some of them will be around when the Lions draft. They would all fill a need.

I wouldn't want PJ Williams in the third.

I do like Peat, Humphries and Goldman though. I'd prefer Banks to Phillips but would like him in the second.

Is that the only kind of tackle you'd ever draft?

I wouldn't want PJ Williams in the third.

I do like Peat' date=' Humphries and Goldman though. I'd prefer Banks to Phillips but would like him in the second.[/quote']

I like WIlliams quite a bit. I think you mean Davis again ;)

I'd be more than fine drafting a Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, Jay Ajayi, or T.J. Yeldon in the 3rd, assuming the Lions trade back in the draft. There is ample opportunity for the Lions to move back, pick up draft picks and then select a quality running back. The need isn't as pressing IMO to go and select one in the first round. The only way I am picking one in the 2nd is if one of Gordon or Gurley are still no the board.

All those guys might be gone by our 2nd rounder. You're getting greedy IMO. I think our 2nd rounder has to be a RB. Too good of a meeting of value and need IMO.

Is that the only kind of tackle you'd ever draft?

Yes, because the Lions already have plenty of RT options right now.

I don't really get what BPA means and why people use it so much. After the first few picks aren't the next batch of players invariably debatable? How often at pick 23 or 24 is there clearly a best player available? No 5 people would agree.

You pick based on need and skill, BPA just creates a debate about who is the BPA.

I like WIlliams quite a bit. I think you mean Davis again ;)

I have no idea why I keep doing that.

I don't really get what BPA means and why people use it so much. After the first few picks aren't the next batch of players invariably debatable? How often at pick 23 or 24 is there clearly a best player available? No 5 people would agree.

You pick based on need and skill, BPA just creates a debate about who is the BPA.

It's not a matter of what 5 people think, it's a matter of what the team thinks.

From how peoole like Pat Kirwan and Bill Polian have explained it on Sirius, teams have tiers of players. A team will probably only have around 20 players with "a first round grade" (and if you combine the league, that could he around 45+ different players.)

Now within that tier, you'd take need into consideration. But if you have no first round offensive tackles, I'd rather take another position than a tackle at 24 with a second round grade.

Anyone coming to Chicago to watch the draft live?

Anyone coming to Chicago to watch the draft live?

Tempting, but I will miss this draft due to work. I'll dvr it, and pretend like it's happening live when I get home. Only way to stay sane.

Each team develops a board with available players ranked according to their perceived value to that team. the next one available is the BPA. Anything else is a misconception.

Yes, because the Lions already have plenty of RT options right now.

Maybe, but I'm cool with Reiff if no obvious upgrade is available at LT. Meanwhile Waddle is coming off a serious injury and we don't have another starting caliber option right now. Lucas might have a shot but he's raw and more comfortable on the left side. A G/RT hybrid type would make sense to me, like La'el Collins or Jeremiah Poutasi

Each team develops a board with available players ranked according to their perceived value to that team. the next one available is the BPA. Anything else is a misconception.

To modify, I'd simply say that it means believing in the board you spent months putting together and not reaching for a position based on said board.

All those guys might be gone by our 2nd rounder. You're getting greedy IMO. I think our 2nd rounder has to be a RB. Too good of a meeting of value and need IMO.

Just curious as to where you would address the offensive line then? What good is drafting a RB if he has no line to open running lanes for him.

Same here.

I'd prefer a DT at 23 if Gurley is already selected... although the DT's have some warts too...

The Lions are drafting 23rd. Everybody has warts that low in the 1st round so at that point, you go for positional need unless there is an undisputed BPA at that spot like somebody who was projected to go top 10. Otherwise, BPA is very subjective at that point of the draft.

It's a must to beef up the lines in this draft. They failed to do it in free agency and they now don't have their 4th and 5th rounders as luxuries to maybe take some skilled position players and worry about need later. I wouldn't be opposed to them going with linemen with every pick, probably use 1 pick to get a RB.

Edited by NYLion

Just curious as to where you would address the offensive line then? What good is drafting a RB if he has no line to open running lanes for him.

Again, our best lineman came in the third round. Good guards are traditionally had in middle rounds. One of the best young left tackles in the game was a third round pick (Terron Armstead). The best rookie tackle in 2013 was an UDFA (Waddle). One of the best rookie tackles last year was a 7th rounder (Seantrel Henderson). Arguably the best left tackle is Jason Peters - an UDFA.

I could easily see someone like DJ Humpheries being available in the 2nd round due to weight concerns. I could see someone like Cedric Ogbuehi available in the 2nd round due to injury concerns. I could see the Duke guard being there in the 3rd. I could see Caan from South Carolina in the third.

I could also see in that same vain Tevin Coleman, T.J. Yeldon and Ameer Abdullah available in the 3rd.

I could also see in that same vain Tevin Coleman, T.J. Yeldon and Ameer Abdullah available in the 3rd.

In the 3rd I'm thinking more along the lines of David Johnson.

(meaning, I don't see the likelihood of the 3 you listed falling that far... Just my opinion...)

Byron Jones could be very enticing at 23 at this point. He's a special athlete, scouts seem to like his tape and he was #2 in FBS in passer rating allowed. No character or health issues that I've heard of.What's not to like?