Stormin' Norman

2015 Draft thread

724 posts in this topic

He strikes me as directly in Mayhews mold at corner.

So youre saying he's small and injury prone?

If we could somehow manage to get

1. Gurley

2. Carl Davis

3. Eric Rowe

I'll do backflips.

Not sure Rowe goes there though. Seen him everywhere from late 1st to 5th round. I'd personally have no problem if we took hI'm at 23 with Gurley off the board.

What good is Gurley if he has no offensive line to open holes and help him in getting open? Are you going to trot Waddle and Sims back out there and hope it works? Sign someone who gets cut near/at training camp? Rely on another UFDA coming through? I feel that one of our first two picks has to be spent addressing the offensive line, otherwise drafting a Gurley/Gordon/Johnson/Coleman/Abdullah will be pointless.

.....Are you going to trot Waddle and Sims back out there and hope it works?.....

Sims is still not signed and it looks like the Lions are in no hurry to sign him, so he could be gone.

What good is Gurley if he has no offensive line to open holes and help him in getting open? Are you going to trot Waddle and Sims back out there and hope it works? Sign someone who gets cut near/at training camp? Rely on another UFDA coming through? I feel that one of our first two picks has to be spent addressing the offensive line, otherwise drafting a Gurley/Gordon/Johnson/Coleman/Abdullah will be pointless.

Yes, I'm actually okay with Sims and Waddle if it came to that. I'm not against adding a guard in the draft though. Let's say Rowe in the 2nd (which is probably more realistic), Caan or Duke's Thomlinson in the 3rd.

Yes' date=' I'm actually okay with Sims and Waddle if it came to that. I'm not against adding a guard in the draft though. Let's say Rowe in the 2nd (which is probably more realistic), Caan or Duke's Thomlinson in the 3rd.[/quote']

Sims wasnt good last year and he's another year older. Maybe he'll take some of whatever raiola took two years ago, but the chances of him being good again arent too high. Waddle may have been a fluke. Hard to tell because he was hurt so much last season.

Not too many good choices left out there and the lions dont have much money. They probably will bring sims back if they dont get blaylock (i think thats his name). They dont have many other options.

I think the Lions will be fine with Waddle and Lucas, you don't want to spend too much on RT if you can avoid it, and getting two good ones from UDFA would be a coup. It's really good value.

Sims wasnt good last year and he's another year older. Maybe he'll take some of whatever raiola took two years ago, but the chances of him being good again arent too high. Waddle may have been a fluke. Hard to tell because he was hurt so much last season.

Not too many good choices left out there and the lions dont have much money. They probably will bring sims back if they dont get blaylock (i think thats his name). They dont have many other options.

He seemed to get better as he got further removed from his surgery. That could offer some hope I guess. He was PFF's 40th ranked G. You can do worse for your second best guard. Blalock was 25th though.

I think the Lions will be fine with Waddle and Lucas, you don't want to spend too much on RT if you can avoid it, and getting two good ones from UDFA would be a coup. It's really good value.

Lucas wasnt good. Waddle was good two years ago and wasnt good last year.

The lions oline was very bad last year, im not sure where you guys see them being good this year (and not sure why you seem to think they were good last year).

The offensive line was very good the year before.

Continuity is a huge deal - injuries hurt. Our weakest performer was Dom who is gone. Sims was solid after week 4. Waddle just needs to stay healthy. We'll have options in round 3 at guard, and I'm not against getting a Reiff replacement if Gurley isn't there at 23 - but we shouldn't turn down his potential to reach.

The lions oline was very bad last year, im not sure where you guys see them being good this year (and not sure why you seem to think they were good last year).

I didn't say the oline was good last year at all. I don't think they need to put too many resources into it. I'm hoping that a healthy Waddle and a coached-up Lucas (I think he can be a decent swing tackle) can improve upon last year. I think they really need to improve at guard, and bring in a depth guy for the interior.

Id rather have them shore up the offensive or defensive interior than take a skill player coming off an injury.

And I'd rather take a potential generational talent. Swing big. Especially when there is depth at both positions.

The three players I'd consider above Gurley are La'el Collins (because I think he can be the rare LT who can dominate the run game), Trae Waynes and Bud Dupree.

Gurley is a superstar, who should be one of the top talents in this draft. He shouldn't be available for the Lions, but if he is, they would be stupid not to draft him.

The effectiveness of an OL can be polarizing from year to year, even with the same players.

I'm very interested to see what Waddle is long term. I don't think anyone really knows. Drafting an OL is certainly not a bad idea, but the OL will heavily depend on Waddle(or Lucas I guess) and Swanson next year IMO.

Edited by Nastradamus

If gurley is as good as you think, they probably should take him. But if he is, he probably wont be there when the lions pick.

What about gordon?

The effectiveness of an OL can be polarizing from year to year, even with the same players.

sometimes yes. As a general rule, the better your players, the better your outcome. I think the lions could use a talent upgrade up front.

If gurley is as good as you think, they probably should take him. But if he is, he probably wont be there when the lions pick.

What about gordon?

If he's there when we pick, it will be due to his injury.

Would not take Gordon in the first. If we don't get Gurley at one, I'd wait til the 3rd round at the earliest to add to the position.

What about gordon?

Gordon's a little more polarizing. He looks faster on the field than he ran at the combine. He has a chance to be a Jamal Charles type back IMO, but he's not the slam dunk Gurley is IMO.

The offensive line was very good the year before.

Continuity is a huge deal - injuries hurt. Our weakest performer was Dom who is gone. Sims was solid after week 4. Waddle just needs to stay healthy. We'll have options in round 3 at guard' date=' and I'm not against getting a Reiff replacement if Gurley isn't there at 23 - but we shouldn't turn down his potential to reach.[/quote']

Just curious what lead you to the conclusion that he was solid after week 4. PFF is obviously not the be-all-end-all, but they have his worst weeks as 5, 10, and 11...with all five of his sacks given up after week 4.

If anything he was solid after week 13 when he was very solid in the run game while still being sub-par in pass rush.

Just curious what lead you to the conclusion that he was solid after week 4. PFF is obviously not the be-all-end-all, but they have his worst weeks as 5, 10, and 11...with all five of his sacks given up after week 4.

If anything he was solid after week 13 when he was very solid in the run game while still being sub-par in pass rush.

Maybe it was week 5 - the bills game. He had a net positive for the season after that.

And I'd rather take a potential generational talent. Swing big. Especially when there is depth at both positions.

The three players I'd consider above Gurley are La'el Collins (because I think he can be the rare LT who can dominate the run game)' date=' Trae Waynes and Bud Dupree.[/quote']

Mayhew has taken swings for the fences before and rarely hit it out of the infield.

You don't win in the NFL with great running backs and mediocre lines but you sure can win in the NFL with strong lines and a mediocre running game.

The idea of Gurley sounds sexy on paper but the smart pick would be to add an interior lineman offensive or defensive. The Lions have a weakness on both lines, it has to be addressed and they don't have a lot of picks in this draft to address the weakness.

If Gurley didn't have a serious injury history, I would be hotter on him as the pick but taking a running back who was injured badly last season is pretty risky. Gurley also plays a style that leaves him vulnerable to more injury.

Edited by NYLion

Mayhew has taken swings for the fences before and rarely hit it out of the infield.

You don't win in the NFL with great running backs and mediocre lines but you sure can win in the NFL with strong lines and a mediocre running game.

The idea of Gurley sounds sexy on paper but the smart pick would be to add an interior lineman offensive or defensive. The Lions have a weakness on both lines, it has to be addressed and they don't have a lot of picks in this draft to address the weakness.

If Gurley didn't have a serious injury history, I would be hotter on him as the pick but taking a running back who was injured badly last season is pretty risky. Gurley also plays a style that leaves him vulnerable to more injury.

Seattle has a great RB and a mediocre line.

Also just as you can find RBs beyond the 1st round, there are other ways to upgrade your OL. Its not take Gurley and then roll with Rob Sims and Ladrian Waddle for 5 straight years no matter what. This OL was quite good in 2013 and Swanson has potential to be a big upgrade on 2014 Raiola IMO. A healthy Waddle could make us one of the better OLs in the league. Snagging up a guy like Poutasi or Daryl Williams later on in the draft would provide some nice depth for now and hopefully a guy eventually developed into a starter.

Edited by Nastradamus

The idea of Gurley sounds sexy on paper but the smart pick would be to add an interior lineman offensive or defensive. The Lions have a weakness on both lines, it has to be addressed.

You win by bringing in the best talent you can and win offensively by being a threat to attack the defense in the ground and in the air. That's what drafting Gurley would bring.

Every year false narratives pop up based on the previous season, last year it was "the Cowboy's offensive line made DeMarco Murray". Murray has always been a talented back, his problem has been injuries. He stayed healthy last year and led the league in yards after contact (it's also worth noting that Lance Dunbar had a mediocre 3.4 yard per carry as their second back.)

And there is no real long term risk from a 22 year old recovering from an ACL.