Stormin' Norman

2015 Draft thread

724 posts in this topic

I acknowledge that I ignored part of your point to make my own point. I don't disagree with the specific point you made. But my broader argument is that the teams who are at the top of the league don't have that self-deluded "franchise QB" mindset. If they see they can upgrade their talent at QB, they don't pass up the opportunity thinking they already have a guy. They are honest with themselves, and about their draft board.

The phrase "franchise QB" is an agent's phrase.

Pretty sure nobody is advocating passing on the next Luck or Brady

Pretty sure nobody is advocating passing on the next Luck or Brady

Pick a side of the argument and stick with it. You're all over the place.

Also, it's spelled "Nostradamus".

Another guy I liked was Louisville's John Miller, the guard. He plays right guard, but he was outstanding in the game. Hard to put too much emphasis on the Shrine game, because there were so many terrible players there. The QB's in particular were terrible.

You pimped Ebron so much last year and pretty much called anyone who didn't agree with you stupid.

I think some past Lions DBs are still waiting for a check from Matt Flynn for making him a lot of money based on one game against the Lions.

IIRC, Manning was not at the end of his contract. He signed a 5 year deal in 2011 and then the Colts had to decide to cut him before a certain date or they would have had to pay him a huge amount of money.

You're right.

I should have said that his contract combined with his health and age was such that it would have been a big risk for the Colts to not have cut him. Luck has obviously worked out great for the Colts. But I wonder if they would have dumped Manning if his contract was modest. I think there's a pretty good chance they would have dealt the pick used to take Luck, which would have brought in a lot of value.

After his combine yesterday, Chris Conley would also be an interesting add, depending on how we feel about Fullers long term potential. He's a pure outside reciever.

Ran a 7-round Draft-Tek mock and came up with (made RB and OG priority 1 and 2, DT and CB priority 3's with M4 repeats, and locked in Davison in 7th round cause I like his potential and the ability to swing him DT/NT...):

1) Todd Gurley, RB

2) Laken Tomlinson, OG

3) Gabe Wright, DT

4) Byron Jones, CB/FS

5) Leterrius Walton, DT

6) Eric Rowe, CB/FS

7) Tyeler Davison, DT/NT

Ran a 7-round Draft-Tek mock and came up with (made RB and OG priority 1 and 2, DT and CB priority 3's with M4 repeats, and locked in Davison in 7th round cause I like his potential and the ability to swing him DT/NT...):

1) Todd Gurley, RB

2) Laken Tomlinson, OG

3) Gabe Wright, DT

4) Byron Jones, CB/FS

5) Leterrius Walton, DT

6) Eric Rowe, CB/FS

7) Tyeler Davison, DT/NT

Wouldn't be my first choice for a draft, but I could get behind it. I would prefer MSU CB at #1.

Heard a great interview with Eric Rowe from Utah today on Sirius. He killed the combine with a 4.45 40 and ridiculous other measures. He's never missed a game or practice. A very smart and good kid and played a lot of man press.

He strikes me as directly in Mayhews mold at corner.

Repeated for emphasis - love love love Rowe.

From Rotoworld: Pro Football Focus Senior Analyst Steve Palazzolo noted that Utah senior CB Eric Rowe missed two tackles all season.

The former safety turned corner, offers some versatility to his game. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Rowe, spent three years playing safety before switching to CB for the Utes in 2014. Rowe has ideal size and speed at the next level and runs a 4.39 forty. While Rowe prefers to play CB, having the ability to play both safety and CB gives a boost to his draft stock.

I did four separate mock-draft simulators tonight, each with its own scenario. I drafted based on who the simulator said was available for each draft scenario.

Draft #1: Lions resign Suh, lose Fairley:

1st: Ereck Flowers, OT-Miami

2nd: Eric Rowe- CB-Utah

3rd: Gabe Wright, DT-Auburn

4th: Tevin Coleman, RB-Indiana

5th: Devante Davis, WR-UNLV

6th: Dallas Lewallen, G-Wisconsin

7th: Derrick Malone, OLB-Oregon

Draft #2: Lions resign Fairley, lose Suh:

*With this draft, I selected under the assumption that the Lions would bring in a DT via free agency.

1st: T.J. Clemmings, OT-Pittsburgh

2nd: Todd Gurley, RB-Georgia

*This isn't realistic but I couldn't pass him up since he was there in the mock simulator

Realistic 2nd: Eric Rowe, CB-Utah

3rd: Tony Lippett, WR-MSU

5th: Xaiver Williams, DT- Northern Iowa

6th: Quandre Diggs, CB-Texas

7th: Dallas Lewallen, G-Wisconsin

Draft #3: Lions resign neither Suh nor Fairley:

*With this draft, I again selected under the assumption that the Lions would bring in a DT via free agency.

1st: Michael Bennett, DT-Ohio State

2nd: Andrus Peat, OT-Stanford

3rd: Eric Rowe, CB-Utah

5th: Xaiver Williams, DT-Northern Iowa

6th: Josh Robinson, RB-Miss. St.

7th: Dallas Lewallen, G-Wisconsin

Draft #4: Lions resign both Suh and Fairley:

1st: Ereck Flowers, OT-Miami

2nd: Todd Gurley, RB-Georgia

*Again, not realistic, but I couldn't pass him up since he was there in the mock simulator

Realistic 2nd: Devin Funchess, WR-Michigan

5th: Shaq Mason, G-Georgia Tech

6th: Corey Crawford, DE-Clemson

7th: Derrick Malone, OLB-Oregon

Beyond the crazy scenarios of Todd Gurley falling to the second round in the second and fourth scenario, I also believe that both Eric Rowe and Tony Lippett will go before the third and fourth rounds respectively. I would say there is a greater chance that Rowe's stock rises higher than Lippett's.

Make all those WR selections chris Conley and turn Michael bennet into carl Davis and I'd be fine with you as gm.

If we draft Funchess, the internet in the Detroit area will break.

Beyond the crazy scenarios of Todd Gurley falling to the second round in the second and fourth scenario, I also believe that both Eric Rowe and Tony Lippett will go before the third and fourth rounds respectively. I would say there is a greater chance that Rowe's stock rises higher than Lippett's.

Yeah... I don't know why Draftek had Eric Rowe falling all the way to the 6th, or Tyeler Davison falling all the way to the 7th... neither of which I think is realistic... But I would certainly take advantage of that if the opportunity arose!!!

If we draft Funchess, the internet in the Detroit area will break.

Even as a Michigan fan I think he would be a bad pick.

Funchess was only chosen in a scenario where we had no needs at the DT position and was, in my estimation, an insurance policy on Eric Ebron.

Two more mock drafts tonight. First, I did a trade back mock draft tonight. I tried to think of a realistic trading partner and a realistic reason that team might have for moving up in the draft and/or moving in to get an additional first round pick. I also gauged who was left on the board at the time in which I was drafting and what team was most likely to move up for that player. At the time I was selecting at #24 Todd Gurley was available. Given the loss of DeMarco Murray this off-season, I ended up trading with the Dallas Cowboys. I gave Dallas the #24 in the first and got back their #27 pick and their third round selection at #91.

Draft #1: Move Back in the 1st:

1st (From Dallas): T.J. Clemmings, OT-Pittsburgh

2nd: Carl Davis, DT-Iowa

3rd (From Dallas): Tevin Coleman, RB-Indiana

6th: Xaiver Williams, DT-Northern Iowa

7th: Dallas Lewan, G-Wisconsin

7th: Antwan Goodley, WR-Baylor

In the second draft I didn't make any moves up or down and simply drafted with what the Lions currently have. This scenario is probably more realistic given that Mayhew and Lewand don't move back in early rounds often, if ever.

Draft #2: Standing Pat:

1st: Michael Bennett, DT-Ohio St.

2nd: D.J. Humphries, OT/OG-Florida

6th: Devante Davis, WR-UNLV

7th: Chucky Hunter, DT-TCU

Two more mock drafts tonight. First, I did a trade back mock draft tonight. I tried to think of a realistic trading partner and a realistic reason that team might have for moving up in the draft and/or moving in to get an additional first round pick. I also gauged who was left on the board at the time in which I was drafting and what team was most likely to move up for that player. At the time I was selecting at #24 Todd Gurley was available. Given the loss of DeMarco Murray this off-season, I ended up trading with the Dallas Cowboys. I gave Dallas the #24 in the first and got back their #27 pick and their third round selection at #91.

Draft #1: Move Back in the 1st:

1st (From Dallas): T.J. Clemmings, OT-Pittsburgh

2nd: Carl Davis, DT-Iowa

3rd (From Dallas): Tevin Coleman, RB-Indiana

6th: Xaiver Williams, DT-Northern Iowa

7th: Antwan Goodley, WR-Baylor

In the second draft I didn't make any moves up or down and simply drafted with what the Lions currently have. This scenario is probably more realistic given that Mayhew and Lewand don't move back in early rounds often, if ever.

Draft #2: Standing Pat:

1st: Michael Bennett, DT-Ohio St.

2nd: D.J. Humphries, OT/OG-Florida

6th: Devante Davis, WR-UNLV

7th: Chucky Hunter, DT-TCU

I like the positions you drafted. Don't follow all the players like I used to.

Quick question...comp picks for losing Suh and Fairley would be next year?

Yes, as I understand we would not get a compensatory pick this year for either.

Funchess was only chosen in a scenario where we had no needs at the DT position and was, in my estimation, an insurance policy on Eric Ebron.

He would be insurance that the Lions would not sign Kris Durham. There's value in this, but probably not before round 4.

There's a joke out there that it would take Trent Richardson 1.3 million carries to go from Indy to Oakland at 2 yards per. That would also apply to Funchess.

If we could somehow manage to get

1. Gurley

2. Carl Davis

3. Eric Rowe

I'll do backflips.

Not sure Rowe goes there though. Seen him everywhere from late 1st to 5th round. I'd personally have no problem if we took hI'm at 23 with Gurley off the board.