Stormin' Norman

2015 Draft thread

724 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think our first rounder has to be from the front 7. If the talent is there, and we're not reaching, at Inside or Outside Linebacker I think that's where we have to go. Our linebacking core is atrocious.

Yes!!  If there is a linebacker worthy of a pick there it seems like a no brainer.  Anything that either helps cover the middle of the field/TEs or improves the non existent pass rush feels like a must for the defense.

4 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Best player available.

. . . besides QB, RB and WR right?

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

. . . besides QB, RB and WR right?

Besides QB.  They are not loaded at the offensive skill positions by any means.  They have room to improve.  Davis would replace Boldin in my mind, but I think he's an outside guy.

9 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Best player available.

If its a substantial gap, sure. Its unlikely that a similarly valued defensive player isn't available though. 

We won't have a chance at him, but I'd take Fournette in a heartbeat anywhere after about 2 or 3. I think once Garrett goes, there's only maybe 1 or 2 other guys that can make you think about Fournette not being BPA

5 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

If its a substantial gap, sure. Its unlikely that a similarly valued defensive player isn't available though. 

We won't have a chance at him, but I'd take Fournette in a heartbeat anywhere after about 2 or 3. I think once Garrett goes, there's only maybe 1 or 2 other guys that can make you think about Fournette not being BPA

Yeah, to me Garrett is a super stud, and should go 1.1 like Julius Peppers.  I love love love Fournette, but IMO, the Lions won't have a chance to pick him.  Davis is a stud, who might shoot up the boards once he goes through the process.  He's strong, athletic, fast, all rolled up into one.  Love his feet and his hands. 

I like Davis, but if the Lions are committed to Jones/Tate/Ebron/Riddick there are only so many catches to go around. Of course, I can't say they should be committed to Tate out of those ones at least...

13 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I like Davis, but if the Lions are committed to Jones/Tate/Ebron/Riddick there are only so many catches to go around. Of course, I can't say they should be committed to Tate out of those ones at least...

Boldin is on his last legs right now.  They could throw Davis in as the 3rd WR, and bring him in slowly.  I think it's a perfect match.  He also has deep speed that will help stretch defenses out, giving others more room.  This isn't a strong WR draft at all, and he's one of (if not the) best of the bunch.  They could then devote the rest of the draft for LB, CB/S, DE, and line help.  I also wouldn't mind a top young TE who can do a lot of things, but those are tough to find (Jake Butte should be a first rounder).  I think they might draft a kicker if Prater misses any more kicks.

I misspelled Jake ****'s name because it was censored.  The dude has a cool name.

26 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I misspelled Jake ****'s name because it was censored.  The dude has a cool name.

Not as cool as Dick Butkus . . .

Edit: Dang, I was sure Dick Butkus would get the censor.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Boldin is on his last legs right now.  They could throw Davis in as the 3rd WR, and bring him in slowly.  I think it's a perfect match.  He also has deep speed that will help stretch defenses out, giving others more room.  This isn't a strong WR draft at all, and he's one of (if not the) best of the bunch.  They could then devote the rest of the draft for LB, CB/S, DE, and line help.  I also wouldn't mind a top young TE who can do a lot of things, but those are tough to find (Jake Butte should be a first rounder).  I think they might draft a kicker if Prater misses any more kicks.

Its supposed to be a good TE draft fwiw

3 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Its supposed to be a good TE draft fwiw

giphy.gif

Besides, I thought Ebron was a stud anyways?

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

giphy.gif

Besides, I thought Ebron was a stud anyways?

Yah, I don't need one high or anything. If we traded Ebron or a good blocker, true TE type got pushed down to the 3rd or 4th, sure. 

3 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Yah, I don't need one high or anything. If we traded Ebron or a good blocker, true TE type got pushed down to the 3rd or 4th, sure. 

I'm at the avoid offensive playmakers stage of my life for the next year or two in the first round. I mean, I don't want to reach just to draft on defense, but WR, TE and RB should probably be passed up in the first round IMO.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm at the avoid offensive playmakers stage of my life for the next year or two in the first round. I mean, I don't want to reach just to draft on defense, but WR, TE and RB should probably be passed up in the first round IMO.

Yah, I didn't  mention a TE in the first fwiw. I generally agree, but a stud RB like Fournette is the one that I differ on. I think that would be a huge boost to both Stafford and our D. Dallas' defensive talent is pretty bad on paper IMO, but they'r 14th in defensive DVOA right now. I don't think its a coincidence

Let's say you've got Fournette sitting there on offense, but you also have Jabrill Peppers, Malik McDowell or a Jalen Tabor on defense. I'm going D every time.

14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Let's say you've got Fournette sitting there on offense, but you also have Jabrill Peppers, Malik McDowell or a Jalen Tabor on defense. I'm going D every time.

That's top 10 territory, and I don't see that.

I would also prefer D. I think a good QB like stafford can more easily make up for mediocre cast of supporting players, but there isn't really a similar player on defense that can do the same.

So rather than try surrounding stafford with more weapons, I would like to see the defense built up to eliminate the weak links, and rely on stafford to figure it out.

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

I would also prefer D. I think a good QB like stafford can more easily make up for mediocre cast of supporting players, but there isn't really a similar player on defense that can do the same.

So rather than try surrounding stafford with more weapons, I would like to see the defense built up to eliminate the weak links, and rely on stafford to figure it out.

The defense is in dire need of a first round caliber addition. And a 2nd and third round player too most likely. 

On 11/3/2016 at 5:32 PM, Shelton said:

There's more than 1 round, and I'm sure the Lions will address both sides of the ball next year.  I think you need to add a running back almost every year (although I'm bullish on Dwayne Washington), and you can't have enough receivers; although I like Jace Billingsley as a slot guy.  I think the Lions need to add a TE sometime in the draft, and also can't have enough pass rushers or cb's.  It would be nice to get another player similar to Antwione Williams in the fifth round, but that's easier said than done.  He has far exceeded his expectations, and I can see him as a starter here for a while.

I don't think Williams has played well yet, but I do agree he shows potential. I think the offense can pretty much be a strong unit as constructed, especially with the OL aging another year. I don't like to be overly dogmatic about it, so I won't rule out anything, but I prefer the first 3 picks to be D

Best defensive player available.  The lions have holes at every position.

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

Best defensive player available.  The lions have holes at every position.

Ideally its a DL to me, but yes, BDPA