THECATMAC

Is this the year Verlander drops to Second on the staff?

Verlander was #5 on the staff last year in terms of production which is what matters. Hopefully, he can get back to being #2.

After the year Verlander had last year I'd be thrilled if he ended up as our number 2 this year. ( unless of course its cause everybody else was terrible.)

He will be the opening day starter.

Good possibility. What does he have, 8 seasons in a row as our opening day SP? I could see it ending but maybe not this season.

He'll be the opening day starter mostly because he has seniority. The #1 status doesn't really mean anything after opening day though.

Verlander has been pitching like number two for the last couple seasons. Now excuse me while I go do a number one.

Price for sure, especially with it looking like a high chance of no Scherzer.

Still going to see 35 on the mound on April 6th though.

I couldn't find a thread that really suits what I am going to ask . . .

Before the season started it was reported that Justin Verlander was reporting to camp with (as I remember) about 20 lbs of extra muscle. But before the season begins he develops a "strain" which has kept him on the disabled list for the first month of the season.

I am wondering if he might have unknowingly taken some kind of "substance" and then it was found to be illegal? Could this mysterious stint on the DL with apparently just a strain be so that Verlander gets this substance out of his system?

This has been going on for quite a while now!

Another question: Could it be possible that there is no particular hurry to have J.V. and Bruce Rondon back on the roster? In previous years, and last year especially, the Tiger pitchers have seemed to have run out of steam by over extending themselves - could DD and Ausmus be saving these two so that they can come back full strength at some later date?

Just wonderin'.

First his spring training start was pushed back. Then he was going to skip just one spring start. Then he was taking a week off. Yada, yada, yada and two months later he is still having triceps(?) issues with no return date in sight.

I highly doubt there is some secret suspension, those things tend to leak out. Hopefully he feels better soon because small "strains" that don't go away sometimes turn out to be something major.

Thanks Stanley.

I am not suggesting that he has been suspended - secretly or otherwise. Rather than face the chance of being actually suspended the Tigers may be waiting for any trace of a possible substance is out of his system ??? (am I being a wee bit paranoid?)

Come August, September, and October the return of Verlander and Rondon could be a powerful addition to the roster when the team is in the final weeks of the pennant race. J.V. could even be eased back into the roster by doing duty in the bull pen.

So, apparently it's not allowed to say anything on the board that might be negative about JV without being labeled a ridiculous conspiracy theorist.

"Dear haters … I have heard you. Therefore since I have done all of the rehab I can possibly do already I shall not move from my bed nor enjoy my life whatsoever for the rest of the day so you think I'm trying."-JV

It's really a PR issue, maybe if we saw a few pictures of JV rehabbing, instead of out with Kate, us fans who obviously hate JV despite years of support, would cut him some slack.

You can't come up with a far-fetched conspiracy without being called a conspiracy theorist, no. That's usually how that works.

I don't get the issues with JV posting pictures having a good time.... it's the same crap that guys like Tony Clark faced.... "oh, they don't care about winning. He's just sitting there. he's not upset or yelling." Judgements are being made over the smallest details. Players don't go to dinner on the road? They don't take their wives/girlfriends to fancy restuarants? They don't drive nice cars? what's the line where they are allowed to share that? Obviously fans enjoy it because they get a lot of followers.

I'm glad he said what he did because the comments people routinely made were ridiculous.

So, apparently it's not allowed to say anything on the board that might be negative about JV without being labeled a ridiculous conspiracy theorist.

Wondering if the Tigers have placed JV on the DL with a bogus injury in the hopes he won't be tested -> fail a test for PED use is ridiculous.

Wondering if the Tigers have placed JV on the DL with a bogus injury in the hopes he won't be tested -> fail a test for PED use is ridiculous.

Why?

Does an injury even prevent you from being tested?

It's really a PR issue, maybe if we saw a few pictures of JV rehabbing, instead of out with Kate, us fans who obviously hate JV despite years of support, would cut him some slack.

I get his frustration but all he did is feed the trolls. Just because you want the trolls to shut up doesn't mean you tell them to shut up. That only makes them yell louder.

Doubt it. Plus he was healthy during spring training and would have been tested then just like Ervin Santana.

doubt it... And if the Tigers knew he was taking PED's then they probably would report it or else they'd face a lot of trouble from MLB... plus they could probably then get out from some of his contract.

Too many people would be at risk for getting in trouble to keep that a secret. To put a guy on the DL probably requires a fair amount of paperwork that has to be verified by medical professionals or training staff.

I get his frustration but all he did is feed the trolls. Just because you want the trolls to shut up doesn't mean you tell them to shut up. That only makes them yell louder.

I don't think this is true at all. They were already being obnoxious. Sometimes people need to be told that they're being stupid before they realize it.