Stormin' Norman

2015 Offseason

Fairly to an incentive laden contract. We'd have to give him some guaranteed dough but put a lot of incentives in their. Keeping his weight down for starters.

Like nd1377 said, if the price is right, but given his injury history I would not break the bank on this guy. I don't believe he's ever played a full 16-game season

I don't think there's any way they can bring back Fairley AND Suh

I'd guess that Suh, Prater, Mathis and maybe cheap guys like George Johnson or CJ Mosley (assuming no one overpays for him, he does seem good but how much of that is playing with the rest of the Lions D-Line?) are the only free agents coming back.

Paying for Sims or Raiola just seems foolish given the cap situation with Suh and their performance this year.

I suppose the real key is to get a long term deal with Suh so that they aren't paying him 26 million + his dead money next year.

If they could sign him long term and have it back ended a bit, they'd actually be in pretty good shape cap wise, I guess we'll find out if he actually wants to leave as badly as some people have suggested.

The lions were one of just a couple of teams that had virtually no cap space going into last year. Luckily the cap is going up or we'd be in a world of hurt.

I say this cuz I put a lot of this on Mayhew and Lewand. But if they pull this offseason out of their collective butts, I will have to give them much cred.

They don't want to stand pat this offseason but with Suh potentially eating up a large portion of the cap, their offseason plans might be limited.

Regarding Suh. He's a ruthless negotiator in my opinion. His first agent out maneuvered Mayhew and Lewand so he hold all the cards now, cept for the franchise tag that still works in his favor.

So what did Suh do after his agent put him in this good position, he fired him. lol. I want to believe him that he wants to play here but I wouldn't doubt for a second that he'd bolt for another team if he makes more dough there.

Mayhew and Lewin don't get nearly enough credit for being able to juggle the contracts of Calvin/Stafford/Suh and still be a fairly aggressive team in free agency. It was a very difficult situation that was largely outside of our control and if we resign Suh, they handled it masterfully.

Mayhew and Lewin don't get nearly enough credit for being able to juggle the contracts of Calvin/Stafford/Suh and still be a fairly aggressive team in free agency. It was a very difficult situation that was largely outside of our control and if we resign Suh' date=' they handled it masterfully.[/quote']

We'll they juggled themselves right into the situation we are in now. No real leverage in negotiating with Suh.

I don't think there's any way they can bring back Fairley AND Suh

I'd guess that Suh, Prater, Mathis and maybe cheap guys like George Johnson or CJ Mosley (assuming no one overpays for him, he does seem good but how much of that is playing with the rest of the Lions D-Line?) are the only free agents coming back.

Paying for Sims or Raiola just seems foolish given the cap situation with Suh and their performance this year.

I suppose the real key is to get a long term deal with Suh so that they aren't paying him 26 million + his dead money next year.

If they could sign him long term and have it back ended a bit, they'd actually be in pretty good shape cap wise, I guess we'll find out if he actually wants to leave as badly as some people have suggested.

Sims had a pretty darn good second half.

Riola will come cheap and a lot of players love the guy. Stafford included. Not a reason to resign him but you will have a lot of experience to replace if he goes. Not saying it can't be done though.

I guess we'll find out if he actually wants to leave as badly as some people have suggested.

Maybe we’ll also see how badly the Lions want to retain him. In my opinion, if they’re serious about a deep playoff run, they need to take the division crown. To do that, they have to get by the Packers. To get by the Packers, they need to neutralize Rodgers. To neutralize Rodgers they need a suffocating pressure defense that makes his life hell. Without Suh, the Lions don’t quite have that. And Rodgers continues to torture and torment them for the next five years, minimum. He’s not going anywhere, and neither are the Packers. Either Suh seems to be the key to everything, or I've had way too much coffee today

Maybe we’ll also see how badly the Lions want to retain him. In my opinion, if they’re serious about a deep playoff run, they need to take the division crown. To do that, they have to get by the Packers. To get by the Packers, they need to neutralize Rodgers. To neutralize Rodgers they need a suffocating pressure defense that makes his life hell. Without Suh, the Lions don’t quite have that. And Rodgers continues to torture and torment them for the next five years, minimum. He’s not going anywhere, and neither are the Packers. Either Suh seems to be the key to everything, or I've had way too much coffee today

You may have had too much coffee, but I agree 100%. They need to keep improving as a team; without Suh they take a step backwards....I'm guessing a pretty big one.

Looks like T Austin will be back with us according to a couple different articles I've read.

I didn't want to say it earlier, but I hoped that he wasn't getting all the interviews because of his race. I still hope that's not true. But it looks like Dan Quinn is now the Falcons leading candidate.

Looks like T Austin will be back with us according to a couple different articles I've read.

I didn't want to say it earlier, but I hoped that he wasn't getting all the interviews because of his race. I still hope that's not true. But it looks like Dan Quinn is now the Falcons leading candidate.

If Austin does take another job, Jim Schwartz left Buffalo and is looking for a job.

Some may disagree, but Teryl Austin is another guy that they simply cannot afford to lose. I would be shocked if someone else could duplicate his success next year.

I think our talent was ready to take our D to the next level. Austin did a good job, but I don't think he's irreplaceable. I think just as much as coaching, the developement of Slay and Ansah plus moving Quin to FS were huge keys to our improvement. Remember, we were I believe 6th against the run last year and top 12 in QBR againt, passer rating against and pass defense on PFF. 14th on Football Outsiders. I think taking that next step was a reasonable expectation.

Edited by Nastradamus

Mayhew and Lewin don't get nearly enough credit for being able to juggle the contracts of Calvin/Stafford/Suh and still be a fairly aggressive team in free agency. It was a very difficult situation that was largely outside of our control and if we resign Suh' date=' they handled it masterfully.[/quote']

2 things Mayhew deserves big credit for if you buy into such rankings: Ihedigbo and AQ both outranked Delmas on PFF and George Johnson and Daryl Tapp outranked Willie Young. Young did have 10 sacks to Johnson's 7 though. Those 4 combned cost them about half of what Young/Delmas would have cost us against the cap. That plus fitting Tate into Burleson's cap slot were huge in terms of making the most of our cap space.

2 things Mayhew deserves big credit for if you buy into such rankings:

I don't.

Ihedigbo and AQ both outranked Delmas on PFF

But they didn't play behind Suh. And ihedigbo was benched. He played horrible at the end of the year.

and George Johnson and Daryl Tapp outranked Willie Young. Young did have 10 sacks to Johnson's 7 though. Those 4 combned cost them about half of what Young/Delmas would have cost us against the cap.

How much did it cost us to develop before they left?

That plus fitting Tate into Burleson's cap slot were huge in terms of making the most of our cap space.

This was the best draft in ages for WRs. Tate was one of my favorite players but without looking it up, I bet if Mayhew trusted his drafting, he could have brought in a WR for far less money. But we know Mayhew has to make sure Stafford has weapons.

Mayhew has a huge offseason ahead of himself, not that the Fords would fire anyone quickly.

Looks like T Austin will be back with us according to a couple different articles I've read...........

I hope he is back, but there are still openings left to be filled in the NFL. Last I heard, he was interviewing for Chicago.

Mayhew has a huge offseason ahead of himself, not that the Fords would fire anyone quickly.

Miami has a very good pass rush and was a top notch defense. Saying you could have signed someone cheaper than Tate is ridiculous. He was a huge hit and a great value.

and well, I'll take the opinion of people who look at tape for a living and individually break down each and every play over your opinion, but that's just me. There's a difference between not 100% buying into metrics and 100% dismissing them.

Miami has a very good pass rush and was a top notch defense. Saying you could have signed someone cheaper than Tate is ridiculous. He was a huge hit and a great value.

and well, I'll take the opinion of people who look at tape for a living and individually break down each and every play over your opinion, but that's just me. There's a difference between not 100% buying into metrics and 100% dismissing them.

Emanuel Sanders is one off the top of my head.

But I was talking about last years draft class that was touted as one of the best and it proved to be true.

Here is a link to 2014 WR draft class are the best ever.

The 2014 rookie receivers are the NFL's best ever by every measure - SBNation.com

Some may disagree, but Teryl Austin is another guy that they simply cannot afford to lose. I would be shocked if someone else could duplicate his success next year.

Meh, most coaches are replacable. Don't get me wrong, Austin did an excellent job, I loved the attacking brand of defense as opposed to the passive approach of years past but the D will be fine as long as they keep Suh which leads me to my next point....

Suh is an absolute must to re-sign. He makes the whole defense look better, he's pretty much the entire reason why the Lions are so tough against the run.

However, there are a couple of red flags. He's 28 now so in NFL years he's getting close to middle age and I worry that he loses some of his motivation with the big contract in pocket so just a few cons to balance out the many pros to getting him signed.

I'd let Fairley walk, has never been healthy and only shows flashes here and there of dominant play.

Bush can bite it too, he's on his last legs. Tulloch will probably be a cap casualty also with the emergence of Whitehead and Bynes to a lesser extent.

Do people think ihedigbo could be a cap casualty this offseason?

I hope not. He seemed to be a leader in the locker room and seemed to be able to make big plays we need. I don't think its a coincidence that Quinn performed much better with Ihedigbo came on board.

I hope not. He seemed to be a leader in the locker room and seemed to be able to make big plays we need. I don't think its a coincidence that Quinn performed much better with Ihedigbo came on board.

Agreed. He has his limits in coverage and I wouldn't mind drafting another S, but he needs to stay for now. He's usually in the right spot, seems like a leader and tackles very well. He was a pro bowl alternate and was a top 15 S on PFF for the 2nd year running.

Meh, most coaches are replacable. Don't get me wrong, Austin did an excellent job, I loved the attacking brand of defense as opposed to the passive approach of years past but the D will be fine as long as they keep Suh which leads me to my next point....

Suh is an absolute must to re-sign. He makes the whole defense look better, he's pretty much the entire reason why the Lions are so tough against the run.

However, there are a couple of red flags. He's 28 now so in NFL years he's getting close to middle age and I worry that he loses some of his motivation with the big contract in pocket so just a few cons to balance out the many pros to getting him signed.

I'd let Fairley walk, has never been healthy and only shows flashes here and there of dominant play.

Bush can bite it too, he's on his last legs. Tulloch will probably be a cap casualty also with the emergence of Whitehead and Bynes to a lesser extent.

I don't see Suh losing his motor. He seems like one of those guys who is motivated purely by the desire to dominate. For that reason, I would hope (and expect) the team uses all means necessary to keep him, including the Franchise Tag. The window is next year. After that, who knows how much CJ has left... and whether Stafford is worth being paid like a franchise QB without him.

Do people think ihedigbo could be a cap casualty this offseason?

I don't, because he's a pretty good value; isn't making a ton.