Stormin' Norman

2015 Offseason

Needed to let a few days pass after Sunday's theft before looking towards next year's season, but there is a lot to be excited about in 2015.

A full off-season with the same coaching staff will hopefully iron out some of the problems plaguing the offense last year and though he will likely be a head coach before too long, I'd be surprised if Terryl Austin is hired away after just a season as a coordinator.

It is interesting that Brian Xanders name hasn't popped up this year for any of the GM positions after his interviews last year, but it is a further sign of the growing respect the league has for the Lions organization that Sheldon White, our VP of Pro Personnel, is being looked at potentially for the Philly's GM role. (It's worth noting that White was another in-house promotion following the 2008 season.)

Just for reference, here is a list of our free agents going into the off-season:

Name Position Age

Ndamukong Suh DT 28

Rob Sims G 31

Nick Fairley DT 26

Corey Hilliard RT 29

Ashlee Palmer OLB 28

C.J. Mosley DT 31

Dominic Raiola C 36

Jed Collins FB 28

Isa Abdul-Quddus S 26

Dan Orlovsky QB 31

Don Muhlbach LS 33

Rashean Mathis CB 34

Kellen Moore QB 25 RFA

Cassius Vaughn CB 27

Darryl Tapp OLB 30

Jeremy Ross WR 26 ERFA

George Johnson DE 27

Garrett Reynolds RT 27

Josh Bynes ILB 25 RFA

Matt Prater K 30

Andre Fluellen DT 29

Kellen Davis TE 29

Johsua Thomas CB 25

Here are some potential cap casualties (and the cap space saved by release)

LB Stephen Tulloch $3,200,000

DE Jason Jones $3,150,000

RB Reggie Bush $2,500,000

WR Ryan Broyles $891,614

TE Brandon Pettigrew $800,000

Outside of Suh, nobody we can't afford to lose on that list. The roster and cap situation are really good for this team right now.

I've moved into the sign Suh at all costs camp. I believe he's worth it and has a chance to retire as a top 5 4-3 DT of all time.

Though I'd like to see us re-sign Mathis, I'd like to add a younger free agent to the position as well.

One possibility is a CFL player, Delvin Breaux. The Lions have shown interest in him, as have 18 other teams.

Cary Williams, who is a potential cap casualty in Philadelphia, could be a possibility with his Baltimore connection to Austin.

A trade option could be Morris Claiborne. He was thought to be on the trade block before going on IR earlier in the season. He has been a bust in Dallas's Tampa 2, but could be a great reclamation project for Austin. He is unlikely to be released due to his rookie contract being guaranteed.

Edited by Stormin' Norman

Outside of Suh, nobody we can't afford to lose on that list. The roster and cap situation are really good for this team right now.

I've moved into the sign Suh at all costs camp. I believe he's worth it and has a chance to retire as a top 5 4-3 DT of all time.

Full agreement. For some perspective, here is JJ Watt's contract:

J.J. Watt Contract, Salary Cap Details & Breakdowns | Spotrac

The good thing with Suh is that considering his rookie contract, you know money won't change him. He's only missed one practice in his career, so he's about as comfortable injury wise as you can be. I am much more comfortable giving Suh 50M+ in guaranteed money than I am giving Fairley half that. The only thing special in the contract you'd need is language dealing with an NFL conduct ban with his history.

I have been concerned about eventually getting Suh and Ansah both signed, but looking at the contract situation I think the smarter move would be potentially walking away from Calvin Johnson during the 2018 year rather than trying to structure Suh's contract for an easy out around that time.

The way I see it:

Priority:

Ndamukong Suh DT 28

Kellen Moore QB 25 RFA

Josh Bynes ILB 25 RFA

Jeremy Ross WR 26 ERFA

George Johnson DE 27

Cassius Vaughn CB 27

Matt Prater K 30

Value resignings:

Rashean Mathis CB 34

Rob Sims G 31

Corey Hilliard RT 29

C.J. Mosley DT 31

Jed Collins FB 28

Isa Abdul-Quddus S 26

Don Muhlbach LS 33

Andre Fluellen DT 29

Dump

Nick Fairley DT 26

Ashlee Palmer OLB 28

Dominic Raiola C 36 (wouldn't be opposed to resigning mid-season if needed.)

Dan Orlovsky QB 31

Darryl Tapp OLB 30

Garrett Reynolds RT 27

Kellen Davis TE 29 (Viable candidate to be resigned if Pettigrew is released.)

Johsua Thomas CB 25

Disagree with most of your priorities, Vaughn and Ross MUST MUST MUST go.

Prater is a must though, I came back to add that specifically. I also missed Johnson on the list. Definitely want him back. He was a great find and I think he'll keep going due to his motor.

I don't really value Moore, but if they want him back whatever. Sims,Hilliard, Mosley and Mathis could all come back, but they are situational guys. Mathis may be back no matter what, as he isn't going to get big money and probably only has another year in the tank. I imagine he'd rather stay in the same place. We need to draft a CB behind him(high), but he played great this year. Sims played really well down the stretch and Hilliard has always been good depth. Health,price and how they see Lucas are the keys there. Mosley is a key run stuffer for us, but our DT situation is obviously rather fluid right now.

Edited by Nastradamus

I agree 100%. You never know whether a guy is going to live out his contract or not, but Suh is a guy they need really badly if they are going be a playoff contender.

Provided that they retain Suh I don't see anybody else on that FA list that's a "gotta have" player, although I'd like to see them keep Fairley, Mosley, Mathis, and Sims.

The way I see it:

Priority:

Ndamukong Suh DT 28

Kellen Moore QB 25 RFA

Josh Bynes ILB 25 RFA

Jeremy Ross WR 26 ERFA

George Johnson DE 27

Cassius Vaughn CB 27

Matt Prater K 30

Value resignings:

Rashean Mathis CB 34

Rob Sims G 31

Corey Hilliard RT 29

C.J. Mosley DT 31

Jed Collins FB 28

Isa Abdul-Quddus S 26

Don Muhlbach LS 33

Andre Fluellen DT 29

Dump

Nick Fairley DT 26

Ashlee Palmer OLB 28

Dominic Raiola C 36 (wouldn't be opposed to resigning mid-season if needed.)

Dan Orlovsky QB 31

Darryl Tapp OLB 30

Garrett Reynolds RT 27

Kellen Davis TE 29 (Viable candidate to be resigned if Pettigrew is released.)

Johsua Thomas CB 25

Dump Fairley? I assume b/c of health?

Also, Bynes, Johnson, Vaughn as priorities? Not that I disagree but why do you value these guys that much?

Disagree with most of your priorities, Vaughn and Ross MUST MUST MUST go.

Prater is a must though, I came back to add that specifically. I also missed Johnson on the list. Definitely want him back. He was a great find and I think he'll keep going due to his motor.

As an ERFA, Ross's contract will be an NFL vet minimum so he'll be back. I figure Vaughn will be a cheap signing, so I'd rather have him back in camp - probably should have him under my value signing category though.

Dump Fairley? I assume b/c of health?

Also, Bynes, Johnson, Vaughn as priorities? Not that I disagree but why do you value these guys that much?

Bynes is a good linebacker and as an RFA, he's cheap. Johnson was a very good end and signing him would make it easier to get rid of Jason Jones.

And I'd dump Fairley because I wouldn't be comfortable giving him the sort of contract necessary to sign him. Even if we can't sign Suh, I'd still be scared to give him guaranteed money. I'd be shocked if the market would allow us to sign him to a contract I'd be okay with.

Edited by Stormin' Norman

Quick thoughts from your truly:

Ndamukong Suh DT 28 - Please re-sign

Rob Sims G 31 - Hope they draft his replacement

Nick Fairley DT 26 - would be nice to get on a cheapish/short deal due to his injury

Corey Hilliard RT 29 - can't remember his injury... can he be a swing tackle? I imagine Waddle/Lucas are the RT/backup RT

Ashlee Palmer OLB 28 - No thanks

C.J. Mosley DT 31 - Would welcome on a cheapish deal if both Suh/Fairley are gone

Dominic Raiola C 36 - bye bye dom

Jed Collins FB 28 - no thanks

Isa Abdul-Quddus S 26 - seemed ok as a fill in with injuries, wouldn't mind him back on the cheap

Dan Orlovsky QB 31 - whatever, but seems like there should be a better backup out there

Don Muhlbach LS 33 - he's been around this long...

Rashean Mathis CB 34 - looks like he still has something in the tank, liked him across from Slay and wouldn't mind a 2 year deal

Kellen Moore QB 25 RFA - has he ever even dressed for a game? who cares

Cassius Vaughn CB 27 - i would hope they could find a replacement

Darryl Tapp OLB 30 - made some plays on ST and defense, wouldn't care if brought back

Jeremy Ross WR 26 ERFA - doesn't seem to bring much to the team, made some dumb decisions, fine with him being gone

George Johnson DE 27 - would like to bring him back in for the DE rotation

Garrett Reynolds RT 27 - I thought he was absolutely awful all year then looked ok as a guard in the Cowboys game, reserve role?

Josh Bynes ILB 25 RFA - can't recall much of him...

Matt Prater K 30 - bring him back, sounds like he wants to come back too

Andre Fluellen DT 29 - made some plays after signing off the streets, could do a lot worse as a backup

Kellen Davis TE 29 - if they cut Grew he can be a blocking TE if need be

One thing on Kellen Davis, while I am no fan of Pettigrew, signing Davis prior to Week 1 would probably cost as much as we'd save cutting Pettigrew - so I'd only bring him back if the staff has a talent preference for Davis over him, which would surprise me.

Another reason I'd like to keep Vaughn at the right deal, the only corners we have on our roster are Slay, Seisay, Bentley and Lawson - two of which are coming off of IR.

Vaughn isn't great, but he isn't terrible either.

Another reason I'd like to keep Vaughn at the right deal' date=' the only corners we have on our roster are Slay, Seisay, Bentley and Lawson - two of which are coming off of IR.

Vaughn isn't great, but he isn't terrible either.[/quote']

I wouldn't mind him I guess if he was at the very end of the bench, it is too easy for teams to pick on him. Hopefully there's something better out there in free agency.

Suh has told Mayhew he wants to be in Detroit, which doesn't mean much - but better than alternative.

The good thing is that Suh's focus on long-term financials and branding should help Detroit. I'd argue that his total value is larger if he stays rather than taking a larger deal from any of the teams that have a ton of cap space - like Oakland, Cleveland or Jacksonville.

Important Offseason Moves:

1. Resigning Suh - No explanation needed

2. Resigning Prater - The Lions actually lost a game last season because of a kicker. This position shouldn't be unstable in the NFL.

3. Dumping Bush - He is not healthy enough and seems to not be as good, but he does have a chance on, "Dancing with the Stars" because he loves dancing with the ball when he gets the handoff.

4. Resigning Fairley - If the price is right, they need to resign him. When he wants to be good, he is.

Someone clarify something for me.

Suh will have a cap hit of 9.8 next year if he isn't signed.

I see talk of franchising him costing the lions a cap hit of 27. Does that include the 9.8? If so, why is it reported that way? The 9.8 is irrelevant, isn't it? The lions have that hit no matter what, right?

Follow up, is it possible to reduce that 9.8 if he were to agree to an extension or something? Or could they pay him a lower amount in 2015 to deal with the 9.8? Or if they sign him to a long term deal at roughly 18, is the hit for that spread out over the length of the contract?

Basically, my question is, for 2015, does it make a difference if he franchised or if he just signs a long term deal for the same annual amount.

The contract from the franchise tag would be 18 or so, right?

The franchise tag number doesn't include the 9.8, so it would really mean a 36 mil dollar cap number for Suh.

I do think a long term deal could change calculations on the 9.8, but I am not sure.

[quote name=S

Name Position Age

Ndamukong Suh DT 28

Rob Sims G 31

Nick Fairley DT 26

Corey Hilliard RT 29

Ashlee Palmer OLB 28

C.J. Mosley DT 31

Dominic Raiola C 36

Jed Collins FB 28

Isa Abdul-Quddus S 26

Dan Orlovsky QB 31

Don Muhlbach LS 33

Rashean Mathis CB 34

Kellen Moore QB 25 RFA

Cassius Vaughn CB 27

Darryl Tapp OLB 30

Jeremy Ross WR 26 ERFA

George Johnson DE 27

Garrett Reynolds RT 27

Josh Bynes ILB 25 RFA

Matt Prater K 30

Andre Fluellen DT 29

Kellen Davis TE 29

Johsua Thomas CB 25

Here are some potential cap casualties (and the cap space saved by release)

LB Stephen Tulloch $3,200,000

DE Jason Jones $3,150,000

RB Reggie Bush $2,500,000

WR Ryan Broyles $891,614

TE Brandon Pettigrew $800,000

Must:

Suh-a difference maker

Priority:

Mosely-good #3 dt, run stopper

Prater - don't need to worry about this position again

GJohnson- good edge guy

Must go:

Fairly-will cost too much

Ross-he is a poor return man and receiver

Tulloch-need the savings, whitehead is fine

Bush-need the savings, replaceable

Broyles- if he couldn't earn any pt last year time to cut bait

The rest will depend on the draft and what $$$ they want. IMO the needs are a slot corner, LG, RT and DT.

The franchise tag number doesn't include the 9.8' date=' so it would really mean a 36 mil dollar cap number for Suh.

I do think a long term deal could change calculations on the 9.8, but I am not sure.[/quote']

Thanks. I finally found the explanation for the 27 million number being based off of his 2014 cap number.

Franchise tag seems to be a no go. I don't see how they could make that work.

The transition tag could work, though. I don't see why they wouldn't justify matching another team's offer sheet.