Shinma

1/4/15. Wildcard Round. Lions at Cowboys. 4:40pm, Fox.

2 days later and I feel the same way. Good teams overcome bad calls.

It wasn't the last play of the game. We had time to win the game.

Was the play a COMPLETE JP? Yes.

But Caldwell could've/should've went for it on the next down.

Our safety play has been the worst I've seen it the last 2 games.

Martin could've punted the ball instead of shanking it.

I could go on, but there were plenty of times we could have done more to win the game.

It was one play. What if Pett dropped that pass? Would everyone be pointing to JUST that drop that lost us the game? I wouldn't. Others might. It was one play in a game that we dominated for most of the game but didn't win. That hurts.

We got jobbed on the call, no doubt. But I can't just dwell on that one play.

m5OgI86.png

Honestly.....this is a joke. Why else would the NFL pick out a single play and suggest it was called to the benefit of the Lions? The NFL doesn't make a habit of calling out its 20 mistakes each game.

Lions fans, I want to introduce you to berneree, a Cowboys fan on this forum.

Grew up in Michigan.....I just never liked the Lions. It just seems like listening to Cubs fans right now. Unbearable.

I just think the whining about a phantom call has reached epic proportions in this case. A ticky-tack call where minimal contact was made is now being played by Pettigrew that Hitches ran thru him. Really? I am sure the ref picked up his flag because he heard the other ref state that there was more than enough contact going back and forth all the way down the field and minimual pass interference. Even the Suh holding call they have released the video on I would have never considered throwing the flag on. If that is a holding.....then the 120 plus plays of the game should have more than 200 holding flags thrown. I just don't get it.

Grew up in Michigan.....I just never liked the Lions. It just seems like listening to Cubs fans right now. Unbearable.

I just think the whining about a phantom call has reached epic proportions in this case. A ticky-tack call where minimal contact was made is now being played by Pettigrew that Hitches ran thru him. Really? I am sure the ref picked up his flag because he heard the other ref state that there was more than enough contact going back and forth all the way down the field and minimual pass interference. Even the Suh holding call they have released the video on I would have never considered throwing the flag on. If that is a holding.....then the 120 plus plays of the game should have more than 200 holding flags thrown. I just don't get it.

Troll.

I think it was one of the Freakonomics book or maybe a Malcolm Gladwell book that dissected home field advantage. IIRC, they found that the advantage comes not from playing field dimensions or sleeping in one's own bed or cushier locker rooms, but from refs being swayed by the crowd on close calls. I think that's what happened yesterday. Nothing more, nothing less.

This I agree with but Id expand it to include an anti-Lions bias created by the national narrative that Detroit is a dirty team, led by Suh, the NFLs archnemesis and the number 1 supervillian.

I agree it is unbearable. Here, let me make an 8 point post about it to further discussion.

Oh come on. When is the last time you saw a flag picked up like that? It doesn't happen. And this in a league that requires several minutes, multiple camera angles and clear and convincing evidence to overturn a call. I have seen nothing that shows me the ref that overturned the call had any better of an angle than the ref who threw the flag.

Had there been no call at all it would have been frustrating but this was altogether different.

2 days later and I feel the same way. Good teams overcome bad calls.

It wasn't the last play of the game. We had time to win the game.

Was the play a COMPLETE JP? Yes.

But Caldwell could've/should've went for it on the next down.

Our safety play has been the worst I've seen it the last 2 games.

Martin could've punted the ball instead of shanking it.

I could go on, but there were plenty of times we could have done more to win the game.

It was one play. What if Pett dropped that pass? Would everyone be pointing to JUST that drop that lost us the game? I wouldn't. Others might. It was one play in a game that we dominated for most of the game but didn't win. That hurts.

We got jobbed on the call, no doubt. But I can't just dwell on that one play.

I'm with you on this...it was a terrible un-decision by the refs, but there were plenty of other opportunities for the Lions to win that game. That having been said, the refs were definitely engaging in home cookin'. Not to say "rigged" or premeditated...but Dallas got the benefit of a number of calls, which is fairly typical for an NFL home team IMHO.

I am much more upset that they didn't call Dez for a personal foul for running on the field (imagine Suh doing that), and virtually every call went the 'boys way AFTER that call, including all of the defensive penalties called while Dallas' OL was clinging onto the Lions' pass rushers on virtually every play.

I agree it is unbearable. Here, let me make an 8 point post about it to further discussion.

Yeah, it bums me out that they got hosed, but I'm over it... time to move on.

That said, I've consciously removed my emotional reactions to the Detroit Lions. I watch them, follow all of the news, want them to win, etc. But don't get too worked up when they lose. So it might just be easier for me to say "I'm over it".

No you do not.

Yeah, it bums me out that they got hosed, but I'm over it... time to move on.

That said, I've consciously removed my emotional reactions to the Detroit Lions. I watch them, follow all of the news, want them to win, etc. But don't get too worked up when they lose. So it might just be easier for me to say "I'm over it".

That's where I try to be. The NFL is a whore though, sho enough.

Just to summarize the questionable/incorrect calls during the game:

1) Suh reinstated for game.....name how many appeals of suspensions have been overturned in the past few years especially for one with the history of Suh?

2) Terrance Williams blown up into the DB and is call offensive Pass Interference negating a long Cowboys gain and 1st down on 3rd and 2.

3) Dez Bryant blown up 7-8 yards down the middle of the field (lost his shoe even), and results in 3 points instead of automatic 1st down

4) Dallas called for running into kicker on a leg tap and subsequent good acting the Detroit kicker - 1st down rather than Dallas 1st and 10 on Detroit 45

5) Detroit not called for similar running into kicker on a leg tap - not good enough acting by Dallas kicker

6) Witten called for holding from the side when he was exactly between the defender and the runner on a TD run by Murray....taking 7 points off the board.

7) Detroit not flagged for bumping the Punt Returner twice.....because the refs used their discretion to not impact the game.

8) Detroit not called for 15 yard face mask on key play, Dallas not called for holding on key play.....but Pass interference picked up

I would argue that Detroit went essentially unpenalized the entire game. 4-5 delay of games/false starts, a 15-yard obvious hit to the head, a 5-yard obvious tackle of the RB/receiver coming out of the backfield......and not much else.

Hmmm....officials were definitely against Detroit. And the officials cost Detroit the game. Hmmm....I think the officials gave Detroit all the help they needed and it wasn't enough.

Here's my serious response to this:

1. - How many players have ever actually been suspended for a playoff game due to on field contact? - 0 How many people thought Suh should be suspended for that play? - About 0 Also note that the NFL chose to suspend him, and a supposedly impartial arbitrator had to overturn it. It was hardly the NFL giving the Lions a break.

2. Terrence Williams threw a shoulder into the DB setting a pick. I don't know how he was "blown up" it's a call that is often ignored, but it was the right call. Regardless, they immediately got a touchdown after this, so it didn't really matter.

3. Possibly I'm thinking of a different play than you and this was a bad call, but the only one I remember was Bryant tripping and falling down when he got tangled up with the corner, a common no call, and one that also wasn't called multiple times with Lions wrs and one other time with Bryant in the same game.

4. It was a pretty obvious running into the kicker, if you dive and hit the guy's plant leg and he falls over, it's getting called, even if he acted to sell it.

5. Had they called this, they'd likely also have had to call the holding or 15 yard facemask on Winn that led to him bumping the punter. Regardless, he didn't dive into his leg, which is why it wasn't called. Whether you agree or not, that's how those calls are officiated. Hit the punter's exposed leg? Penalty. They protect them like QBs

6. It was a hold. About the only one in the game that was actually called. They certainly could have let it go though and it wouldn't have been as egregious as most of the other no calls in the game. So I guess you have a point in that it was weird that they randomly chose to enforce holding on this one occasion.

7. Either of these calls would have been ridiculous fwiw. There was basically zero contact on both of them.

8. They would really never call the facemask on this play, and every referee asked about it agreed on that, while having a mixed opinion on DPI, and agreeing on defensive holding, but in fact, even if that was a bad call, it hurt the Lions more than anyone else, as they would pretty much assuredly have let the flags offset instead of picking up the other one in that situation. (The safe do over call)

Soooo, maybe you're right about the Bryant call and I'm thinking of the wrong play. Otherwise I don't see how any of those are nearly as controversial or blatant as the flag being picked up or the numerous obvious holds not called on Dallas.

There wasn't a 'conspiracy' it wasn't 'rigged' but it was a poor game by the referees. Those happen, and they usually benefit the home team. Which is pretty ridiculous in a playoff situation. And the flag being picked up was pretty clearly caused by the referees not being used to working with each other, which is REALLY ridiculous in a playoff situation.

The Lions deserve to be compensated by the NFL in the form of a draft choice or two, imo.

The Lions deserve to be compensated by the NFL in the form of a draft choice or two, imo.

I was thinking the same thing. If the NFL really wants to do something that has an effect.

I laughed, even the president chimed in on this BS.

I missed something, what is this regarding?

deconstruct it. He says the "Showtime thing" which is a reference to the Inside the NFL which had a "mic'd up" segment with Matt Stafford. Stafford went off on the ref and that was fine. But Mike Carey, the CBS houseref, (and a Detroit native, btw), did a complete whitewash of what happened and said that there was nothing wrong about the call. De-apologized so to speak.