Shinma

1/4/15. Wildcard Round. Lions at Cowboys. 4:40pm, Fox.

I'd say a better Bartman analogy would be the umpire down the LF line ruled the batter out due to fan interference and another umpire subsequently over-ruled him.

Ya, that's a better analogy.

The batman game is a fair comparison at least regarding how the team immediately responded.

If alex Gonzalez doesn't botch a routine grounder, the Cubs probably win.

If Sam Martin doesn't botch a routine punt, the lions probably win.

It doesn't make much sense, but I preferred laying an egg vs. GB and playing well against despite losing to Dallas in the play-offs than the other way around.

It makes sense to me. I think it's because it's a bigger game.

FWIW, the NFL has said that a player doing that is NOT an automatic foul. I'm a little surprised by that as the NFL usually seems to like things black and white with little to no room for judgement calls on the field (see things like eliminating the 5-yard "incidental" facemask penalty or the eliminating of the receiver pushed out of bounds), but still if it is discretionary then so be it.

The NFL is using the following rule to cover the Dez Bryant situation - Section 3 - Article 1 - Paragraph H:

"Removal of his helmet by a player in the field of play or the end zone during a celebration or demonstration, or during a confrontation with a game official or any other player."

Technically they are correct as Bryant did not remove his helmet in the field of play or the end zone.

However, I can't remember the last time a player left the bench to argue with a referee - in any sport - and wasn't punished by game officials for that action.

:alien:

I always like Czaben even if he hates Michigan and Detroit in general

Who Exactly Is Making These Calls? | Czabe.com

And of course, the NFL PREFERRED that this game didn’t slip away from a taught final minutes thriller, and they of course PREFERRED that the Cowboys and Packers would reprise a lesser version of the Ice Bowl at Lambeau next week for a TV rating that will surely set records for a Divisional Round matchup.

It is the local butcher putting his finger on the scale when he sells you meat. It’s not Watergate.

That doesn’t make the practice any less distasteful or troubling. And it doesn’t mean were going to find a new butcher anytime soon. That NFL filet is so succulent, anyone who says they are “done” with the NFL, is a bald faced liar.

......I feel as sick about it as the next guy, but my hope is that the way it ended will add fuel to the fire for 2015 - starting with opening up the checkbook & doing whatever it takes to keep Suh.

I agree completely. They need to do whatever it takes to keep Suh. If they don't keep him, there is no way their defense next year is as good as it was this year. Depending on the price, I would try to resign Fairley too. I would dump Bush if it meant that the Lions could resign Fairley.

.....FWIW, the NFL has said that a player doing that is NOT an automatic foul. I'm a little surprised by that as the NFL usually seems to like things black and white with little to no room for judgement calls on the field (see things like eliminating the 5-yard "incidental" facemask penalty or the eliminating of the receiver pushed out of bounds), but still if it is discretionary then so be it........

Let's say Suh ran on the field to cry about a penalty like Bryant did. I have a feeling it would be raining yellow flags immediately and he would be thrown out of the game.

Edited by nd1377

The NFL is using the following rule to cover the Dez Bryant situation - Section 3 - Article 1 - Paragraph H:

"Removal of his helmet by a player in the field of play or the end zone during a celebration or demonstration, or during a confrontation with a game official or any other player."

Technically they are correct as Bryant did not remove his helmet in the field of play or the end zone.

However, I can't remember the last time a player left the bench to argue with a referee - in any sport - and wasn't punished by game officials for that action.

Wouldn't disagree with you there.

Let's say Suh ran on the field to cry about a penalty like Bryant did. I have a feeling it would be raining yellow flags immediately and he would be thrown out of the game.

Even if that were true, it still doesn't make it an automatic foul.

Even if that were true, it still doesn't make it an automatic foul.

If Suh did it, it would be automatic and rules would be changed to make it automatic.

Semi-famous national author John Feinstein is calling for the firing of Dean Blandino. For the appearance of impropriety and his dilettantish response to the current scandal.

very amusing radio just now. Karsh and Anderson were talking about what Stafford should have done on the final play. Paraphrasing: "nobody was open. Stafford should have just threwn it up to Calvin and hoped for a pass interference call....[laughter]"

We all know that they wouldn't have gotten that flag.

If Suh did it, it would be automatic and rules would be changed to make it automatic.

He would have been suspended and it would have started a "national discussion about the NFL's overlooked problem: bullying of refs".

Just to summarize the questionable/incorrect calls during the game:

1) Suh reinstated for game.....name how many appeals of suspensions have been overturned in the past few years especially for one with the history of Suh?

2) Terrance Williams blown up into the DB and is call offensive Pass Interference negating a long Cowboys gain and 1st down on 3rd and 2.

3) Dez Bryant blown up 7-8 yards down the middle of the field (lost his shoe even), and results in 3 points instead of automatic 1st down

4) Dallas called for running into kicker on a leg tap and subsequent good acting the Detroit kicker - 1st down rather than Dallas 1st and 10 on Detroit 45

5) Detroit not called for similar running into kicker on a leg tap - not good enough acting by Dallas kicker

6) Witten called for holding from the side when he was exactly between the defender and the runner on a TD run by Murray....taking 7 points off the board.

7) Detroit not flagged for bumping the Punt Returner twice.....because the refs used their discretion to not impact the game.

8) Detroit not called for 15 yard face mask on key play, Dallas not called for holding on key play.....but Pass interference picked up

I would argue that Detroit went essentially unpenalized the entire game. 4-5 delay of games/false starts, a 15-yard obvious hit to the head, a 5-yard obvious tackle of the RB/receiver coming out of the backfield......and not much else.

Hmmm....officials were definitely against Detroit. And the officials cost Detroit the game. Hmmm....I think the officials gave Detroit all the help they needed and it wasn't enough.

1) Suh reinstated for game.....name how many appeals of suspensions have been overturned in the past few years especially for one with the history of Suh?

2) Terrance Williams blown up into the DB and is call offensive Pass Interference negating a long Cowboys gain and 1st down on 3rd and 2.

3) Dez Bryant blown up 7-8 yards down the middle of the field (lost his shoe even), and results in 3 points instead of automatic 1st down

4) Dallas called for running into kicker on a leg tap and subsequent good acting the Detroit kicker - 1st down rather than Dallas 1st and 10 on Detroit 45

5) Detroit not called for similar running into kicker on a leg tap - not good enough acting by Dallas kicker

6) Witten called for holding from the side when he was exactly between the defender and the runner on a TD run by Murray....taking 7 points off the board.

7) Detroit not flagged for bumping the Punt Returner twice.....because the refs used their discretion to not impact the game.

8) Detroit not called for 15 yard face mask on key play, Dallas not called for holding on key play.....but Pass interference picked up

I would argue that Detroit went essentially unpenalized the entire game. 4-5 delay of games/false starts, a 15-yard obvious hit to the head, a 5-yard obvious tackle of the RB/receiver coming out of the backfield......and not much else.

Hmmm....officials were definitely against Detroit. And the officials cost Detroit the game. Hmmm....I think the officials gave Detroit all the help they needed and it wasn't enough.

You were not watching the same game I was.

You were not watching the same game I was.

Or I was following it a little more impartially than you. So what calls above do you disagree with other than the pass interference at the end?

9) I did forget the Bruce Carter holding / pass interference that wasn't called when he slingshotted himself around the receiver.

Or I was following it a little more impartially than you. So what calls above do you disagree with other than the pass interference at the end?

I explained my position on the Lions a few pages ago. Catharsis during that game. It was a game where I did not scream at the TV or get upset at all. First time that has happened since I was 11. I just did not give a crap. I watched part of the game again on DVR...something I would never have done before, after a loss. I saw plenty of holding calls on their O line that were not called at the end of the game, but just did not care enough to get upset.

It is not Watergate, but like a post a few pages ago mentioned it is the butcher holding a finger on the scale as he weighs your meat. That whole game smelled to high heaven...most games do...I am starting to see the patterns and just do not want to give my time or emotion into something that just LOOKS so off. I used to see it in other games as well. Calls would just come out of nowhere. You do realize the refs can pretty much make a foul call on just about every single play in an nfl game. Holding, hands to the face, tripping, face mask, pass interference, false start (which they have been missing a TON of lately) offsides. You name it.

I simply do not give a crap anymore. I said it in the other post, but I will still have the Lions games on Sundays, but I am not going to glue my *** to the chair to watch the whole game.

There will come a time when the Lions are the team in the nfl...I believe that. Maybe 20 years from now...maybe it starts next year, but whenever that happens you will see them getting calls like other teams get calls now...I simply do not want to see that. I used to hate it when the lions got boned so there is noway I am going to get excited when they benefit from them.

The game FEELS tainted to me. Nothing you or anyone else says is going to change that opinion. This is 26 years worth of experience that is telling me the game is 'off'. This is the gambler in me saying the game feels 'off'...and the realist that knows where there is money there is tampering. Where there is HUGE money there is tampering. It is life.

Again this was born out of frustration from my team never getting the calls, but many years ago I started watching more than just the Lions. I saw other teams getting hosed. Teams I did not give one crap about. I felt the flow of the game going one way and a couple calls turning the game right on its head...this is a relatively recent thing from my experience in the nfl, but again I did not watch enough of other teams 20 years ago to know if it happened then as well. Probably it did, but I am just now noticing it.

Again it is not just this game or even Lions games in general, but 10+ years of watching (very closely) other teams and other games and seeing these weird calls come out of nowhere to screw whatever team.

I explained my position on the Lions a few pages ago. Catharsis during that game. It was a game where I did not scream at the TV or get upset at all. First time that has happened since I was 11. I just did not give a crap. I watched part of the game again on DVR...something I would never have done before, after a loss. I saw plenty of holding calls on their O line that were not called at the end of the game, but just did not care enough to get upset.

I am similar to you. I get so frustrated that it is really hard to enjoy the NFL anymore. I can understand the Lions fans with regards to the Calvin TD take-away from 3 years ago. I think Pererra lost all credibility then when he supported the refs then.....But I thought the pick-up of the flag was more justice than anything else.

I can't believe they don't stick 5 referees on the TV to call the game.....since the TV gives a much better view of the whole field. But yet we are told that we need the on field referee approach just like we need the home plate umpire calling balls and strikes even though there is a much better way.

You forgot Ziggy Ansah getting mangled right infront of a referee on Dallas' game winning TD, Suh getting ripped down by the collar of his shoulder pad before the Levy hold which wasn't called, or the host of other times Suh was mangled for that matter. And Suh shouldn't have been suspended in the first place, he stepped on an opposing players calf and it wasn't the NFL that reinstated him, it was a 3rd party.

Adam Schefter

10 mins ·

NFL admitted to Lions today that officials missed a hold on Ndamukong Suh on the 4th-down conversion from Tony Romo to Jason Witten with 6 minutes left in the game (after the controversial Brandob Pettigrew play and before the Dallas TD). Had holding been called, it would have put Cowboys in 4th and 16 on Detroit side of the field. Dallas would have punted and Detroit still would have the lead. One person said that this is "even worse than the PI call/no call."

Lions fans, I want to introduce you to berneree, a Cowboys fan on this forum.

m5OgI86.png

I have to give the NFL credit for admitting all of these mistakes publicly. It doesn't make the result any better from a Lions' perspective, but at least they are willing to admit the errors.