Shinma

1/4/15. Wildcard Round. Lions at Cowboys. 4:40pm, Fox.

One last thing, referees aside, not going for it on the ensuing 4th and 1 was WEAK. That was just a game losing decision from Caldwell. Especially since Bell had been running the ball well inside all game.

Here's the thing...if they hadn't thrown a flag that would have been one thing. But to throw it and then pick it up is what I have an issue with. Either he saw it or he didn't. How does he reconsider? Did he consult with another ref?

Exactly. If he hadn't thrown the flag, I would have been irked but it would have been a "normal" bad call. I would have spent as much time questioning whether they should have tried a shorter route there on 3rd and 1. But it's reversing the call with no explanation other than a booing crowd and a spastic Dez Bryant.

Wasn't Referee Pete Morelli the same clown who screwed the Vikings with a series of bad calls in the 2009 NFC Championship? If I remember correctly, that was the year the NFL wanted the Saints to win the Super Bowl for the Katrina victims.

Just reading a dallas forum. Most fans over there thought it wasn't even a penalty and are saying Pettigrew was holding the face mask of the defender. Nobody mentioning Dez Bryant whining on the field though and how that was obviously missed. How do you miss that?

If Pettigrew was holding the mask, it should have been offsetting penalties at very worst and replay the down. But we still should have gotten yardage out of it because Dez still should have been flagged for running on the field without a helmet. The bottom line is, whatever the league wants to make up for an excuse, the Lions should have been further down the field in much better shape. Instead, they ignored the Dez penalty and still haven't decided what to say about why the flag was picked up. I've honestly never seen a penalty announced and then picked up with no explanation. Like, Ever, at any level. They pick them up, but they tell you why. That didn't happen here.

At some point I have to believe the league will try to make up some reason (maybe tomorrow or the next day), or maybe they won't say anything at all. Most people won't care about it because it happened to the Lions. And the lions will never hold the league publicly accountable for their officials and ask for an explanation, because that is not what the Fords do. So it may very well just die. But if I owned the team, I'd be on ESPN tomorrow demanding a written and public explanation.

One last thing, referees aside, not going for it on the ensuing 4th and 1 was WEAK. That was just a game losing decision from Caldwell. Especially since Bell had been running the ball well inside all game.

It's a gray area to me. If they had been inside the 40 or even if they had been up by 4 I would have gone for it. And in fact when they lined up to go for it, I was pleased. But kicking from the 46, you should be able to put it inside the 15, requiring a long drive from a tying FG. If they had gone for it and failed, you'd be giving the Cowboys the ball at midfield needing just a 1st down to be in FG position. Of course if I had known the punt would have been shanked ...

So the explanation is...we're just bumbling idiots, but it's ok, don't worry. we got together on it...after we announced it.

Wow.

I don't know. I might like my chances better if I can pin Dallas deep.

This will be the talk around the NFL for a day, a bit longer here, then it will be forgotten until the refs cost another team a game in the playoffs. Nothing will be done because it is all circumstantial and they will just say... Duhhh the refs have a tough job." all sports hide behind that when it comes to the refs.

B6jb-lNIYAEY8is.jpg

So Wikipedia says the head linesman is responsible for standing near the chain crew and looking for offsides, watching if a player out of bounds and watching receivers 5-7 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

So Wikipedia says the head linesman is responsible for standing near the chain crew and looking for offsides, watching if a player out of bounds and watching receivers 5-7 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

and for minimal contact when a defender runs into the guy reaching for the ball.

Quicken Loans, Ford Motor Company, Little Ceasars, GM, Chrysler. Would be nice if this week they announce they pull ads from the tainted Superbowl.

YES.

So I wonder if wikipedia addresses which official is responsible for seeing a player that is not involved in the play run off the sideline without a helmet to ***** about a call? Wouldn't all of them be responsible for that? Because if so, they all missed that too.

I think even better than the flimsy response to the call was the tweet by someone after the game that Dallas could be losing it's "top two" assistants, Linehan and Marinelli, who are potentially leaving the cowboys because they are apparently hot commodities in the coaching market....now the entire day is just a complete farce for me....

I think even better than the flimsy response to the call was the tweet by someone after the game that Dallas could be losing it's "top two" assistants, Linehan and Marinelli, who are potentially leaving the cowboys because they are apparently hot commodities in the coaching market....now the entire day is just a complete farce for me....

Teams that hire them are gonna be left disapointed

So I wonder if wikipedia addresses which official is responsible for seeing a player that is not involved in the play run off the sideline without a helmet to ***** about a call? Wouldn't all of them be responsible for that? Because if so, they all missed that too.

Ha, ha. I looked up head linesman because I didn't think that was his call. How long was that pass?

Just saw a clip with Chris Simms, who you will recall had a sterling 3,117 yard passing career. He swears it was not pass interference and other than f'ing it up procedurally, the refs got the call right.

Irrespective of whether the call decided the game--which I do not believe it did, because the lions had countless chances to put the Cowboys away, my question is this- can you hold a guy's hands and run him over as a defender while you are not looking at the ball and he is??? Everything I've ever seen or heard says that's PI. And I've seen tweets from multiple players, including Barry Sanders, Tim Brown, former officials, etc. etc. who are shocked that this happened.

I have to agree with Mike Pereriaiaia whatever his name is, not only was it DPI, but if for some reason you decided not to call that, it was clearly defensive holding

B6jCP7oCYAAqQ1C.jpg

I mean, come on. Not calling it would have been a bad call, but a normal bad call, getting the call correct and then changing your mind because the fans booed one angle of a replay is pathetic.

The only reason Pettigrew got his hand into the defender's face was to try and get away when he was being held

I have to agree with Mike Pereriaiaia whatever his name is, not only was it DPI, but if for some reason you decided not to call that, it was clearly defensive holding

B6jCP7oCYAAqQ1C.jpg

I mean, come on. Not calling it would have been a bad call, but a normal bad call, getting the call correct and then changing your mind because the fans booed one angle of a replay is pathetic.

The only reason Pettigrew got his hand into the defender's face was to try and get away when he was being held

at worst, at worst, at worst. It's offsetting and we get another chance on third down. But, the NFL says nope.