thefunk

2015 Michigan Wolverines Football

While any significant recruiting news will take awhile to shake out, the coordinator news will be (and is already) coming down shortly. Here's some stuff around the web.

OC Tim Drevno (also apparently getting SF's WR coach, John Morton.

Tim Drevno reportedly set to join Jim Harbaugh's staff as an offensive coordinator | MLive.com

DC Dj Durkin - neither of these "officially" confirmed by UM of course.

BREAKING: DJ Durkin headed to Michigan | The Gator Fanatic

People seem to like these hires very much, if they're true. I have never really cared about any coach beyond the HC, but if the last 7 years have proved anything - they all matter. A lot. I hope we get the best.

KLSouth16 Keisean South1?6?

Just got off the phone with Coach Harbaugh ?〽️

That's a tweet from Keisian Loucier-South, UCLA commit and one of the top DE's in the country. I have no idea what that symbol means at the end of it, but if he wasn't atleast interested or intrigued by Michigan and Harbaugh I don't think he would've tweeted anything. He would be a good get.

^ he left last week, I think.

I posted it somewhere that it was good news cuz if UofM fired him, he got the last 2 years paid, but he signed with the Gators I think. So he is off the books. More money for our asst coaches.

QB recruit, enrolled now, Alex Malzone. Honestly, everyone is sort of starting at 0 with Harbaugh's staff, what is to say this kid doesn't start next year?

QB recruit, enrolled now, Alex Malzone. Honestly, everyone is sort of starting at 0 with Harbaugh's staff, what is to say this kid doesn't start next year?

Brady did not leave the cupboard bare like RR or even Carr did. Harbaugh is going to have some good talent plus an established defense. But as good a recruiter as Brady was he could not have sustained it without winning more, so you might say maybe he did as much for M as he could by replenishing some talent. bringing in Mattison, then moving on.

Brady did not leave the cupboard bare like RR or even Carr did. Harbaugh is going to have some good talent plus an established defense. But as good a recruiter as Brady was he could not have sustained it without winning more, so you might say maybe he did as much for M as he could by replenishing some talent. bringing in Mattison, then moving on.

Agree with this.

I can't believe people are still keeping up the "bare cupboard" narrative with respect to RR. Hoke, with a bare cupboard, goes 11-2 and wins the Sugar Bowl, but then with all of his recruits and a "fuller cupboard" he can't even qualify for a bowl game?

Please stop trying to perpetuate that nonsense. If the cupboard was so bare, how does he go 11-2? Either he had talent, or he's a good coach. But if he's a good coach, and he has the additional talent you say he has, then we're not talking about Harbaugh. And if you want to say the schedule was easy in 2011, then explain how they lose to Rutgers and Maryland this season.

I can't believe people are still keeping up the "bare cupboard" narrative with respect to RR. Hoke, with a bare cupboard, goes 11-2 and wins the Sugar Bowl, but then with all of his recruits and a "fuller cupboard" he can't even qualify for a bowl game?

Please stop trying to perpetuate that nonsense. If the cupboard was so bare, how does he go 11-2? Either he had talent, or he's a good coach. But if he's a good coach, and he has the additional talent you say he has, then we're not talking about Harbaugh. And if you want to say the schedule was easy in 2011, then explain how they lose to Rutgers and Maryland this season.

Go and look at what he inherited in terms of roster balance and numbers. Hoke's first season was helped, on the defensive side in particular, by Carr recruits. Hoke failed at transitioning from a spread offense but he leaves Harbaugh much better balanced roster of pretty highly ranked kids.

Not much to argue with here.

Go and look at what he inherited in terms of roster balance and numbers. Hoke's first season was helped, on the defensive side in particular, by Carr recruits. Hoke failed at transitioning from a spread offense but he leaves Harbaugh much better balanced roster of pretty highly ranked kids.

?? Carr's recruits 3 years later? Even when most would argue that Carr left the cupboard bare himself. The Carr recruit that was the best player on the 2011 Michigan team was probably the defensive player who most benefited from RR and Barweis......Mark Martin and his motor. Obviously Denard Robinson and the smurf WR's were the players who benefited most from RR.

Because he inherited a one man NCAA offensive wrecking crew in Denard. But the rest of the team was thin and had been getting thinner.

This argument is very simple, and both sides are a little correct.

Rich Rod wanted and did change styles on offense and defense. Dramatically. Carr did indeed leave bare cupboards if Rich wanted to run his system. Rich tried anyway, lost a shite ton of games, but found Denard.

Hoke inherits the team and wants to change the style of play BACK to what Carr was doing, sort of. He still had Denard, but everyone else that was recruited was built for the crazy spread offense and thin defense.

Hoke has recruited for a system which Harbaugh will for the most part continue to run. The cupboard was bare for Rich and for Hoke, and it is now not for Jim.

We will have success next year.

This argument is very simple, and both sides are a little correct.

Rich Rod wanted and did change styles on offense and defense. Dramatically. Carr did indeed leave bare cupboards if Rich wanted to run his system. Rich tried anyway, lost a shite ton of games, but found Denard.

Hoke inherits the team and wants to change the style of play BACK to what Carr was doing, sort of. He still had Denard, but everyone else that was recruited was built for the crazy spread offense and thin defense.

Hoke has recruited for a system which Harbaugh will for the most part continue to run. The cupboard was bare for Rich and for Hoke, and it is now not for Jim.

We will have success next year.

I disagree. They don't really have much speed on offense, and this recruiting class is too light. I watched the UnderArmour Bowl today, and there was 1 Wolverine. There were about a dozen kids committed to Alabama, who has a full class of 23, even if they won't play. They have a long way to catch up with the big boys.

I disagree. They don't really have much speed on offense, and this recruiting class is too light. I watched the UnderArmour Bowl today, and there was 1 Wolverine. There were about a dozen kids committed to Alabama, who has a full class of 23, even if they won't play. They have a long way to catch up with the big boys.

The 49ers didn't have much speed on offense either when Harbaugh was there. Nor was Stanford particularly fast. Speed would be wonderful, but you can also win with power, which is what Michigan will do.

Their offensive line started to make big improvements at the end of last year and I expect that to continue.

The 49ers didn't have much speed on offense either when Harbaugh was there. Nor was Stanford particularly fast. Speed would be wonderful, but you can also win with power, which is what Michigan will do.

Their offensive line started to make big improvements at the end of last year and I expect that to continue.

I'm a little concerned about just a power offense though. Not saying you are saying just go power. We could go the route of Wisconsin and go power, but it'll probably do what it did for Wisky. 7 or 8 wins but not going to get it done nationally.

Just my 2 cents

I think (at least before his firing) that Brady only had 15 or 16 scholarships left because previous classes had been large. They lost some verbals, but I don't know (other than Funchess) how many actually on scholarship bailed. It was likely to be a small class no matter how things had shaken out. Last I heard they were down to about 6 verbals for 2015. If Harbaugh's name and his assistants' connections bring in another 6, and with Mattison providing recruiting continuity on the D side, I wouldn't think getting to ~12 is a stretch, in which case they won't end up far from having all their scholarships committed.

?? Carr's recruits 3 years later? Even when most would argue that Carr left the cupboard bare himself. The Carr recruit that was the best player on the 2011 Michigan team was probably the defensive player who most benefited from RR and Barweis......Mark Martin and his motor. Obviously Denard Robinson and the smurf WR's were the players who benefited most from RR.

The 2011 team had 4 Carr recruits starting on offense, including Molk a national award winning center and 5 Carr recruits starting on defense led by Martin. Go back and look at the OL Rodriguez recruited after 2009. The cupboard was bare there along with other units. Look at the attrition rate.

Any news on the S&C hire, Kevin Tolbert? This was an issue under Hoke.

I remember listening to Chris Carter and Mike Golic talk about how small the OL/DL players at UM looked in comparison to their competition. Others have said it as well, this will change under Harbaugh.