thefunk

2015 Michigan Wolverines Football

So, with the dust settled, Michigan's 14 person class is ranked #40 on espn.

OSU 6 (27 recruits)

Psu 14 (25)

Msu 29 (20)

Nebraska 31 (20)

Wisconsin 38 (21)

Michigan 40 (14)

I'll take a 40th ranked class after the last couple seasons and a coaching change that completed in late December.

Wisc and Nebraska also had coaching changes, but they had decent seasons lately.

Osu and Psu had huge classes.

MSU did a nice job with a medium size class, and they have had success outperforming these ratings in the past so I bet they are pleased.

So, with the dust settled, Michigan's 14 person class is ranked #40 on espn.

OSU 6 (27 recruits)

Psu 14 (25)

Msu 29 (20)

Nebraska 31 (20)

Wisconsin 38 (21)

Michigan 40 (14)

I'll take a 40th ranked class after the last couple seasons and a coaching change that completed in late December.

Wisc and Nebraska also had coaching changes, but they had decent seasons lately.

Osu and Psu had huge classes.

MSU did a nice job with a medium size class, and they have had success outperforming these ratings in the past so I bet they are pleased.

and sure, a strong star rating is easier with a smaller class, but I think it matters more in our situation. At least we didn't fill out the roster with weak 3 stars and 2 stars. Adding 2 good QB prospects was key,as was adding Wheatley and Johnson late.

I really wanted Clark though.....

Edited by Nastradamus

and sure, a strong star rating is easier with a smaller class, but I think it matters more in our situation. At least we didn't fill out the roster with weak 3 stars and 2 stars. Adding 2 good QB prospects was key,as was adding Wheatley and Johnson late.

I really wanted Clark though.....

There is still strength in numbers, though, and we don't have that this year.

2012 ranked 7th with 25 guys

2013 ranked 6 with 27 guys

2014 was 18 or something with 16 guys

Over the past four seasons we've had 82 recruits. We've given scholarships to a few walk ons. We brought in Ty Isaac on a transfer. We have had very few kids leave the program before their four years was up.

I'm not bagging on the current class. It's good. 40th is good. It's hard to be much better than that when you only have 14 guys. But let's not go so far as make it out to be better than it is because it was so small. It still could have been a lot better even if it was the same size.

Our top ten classes of a few years ago wasn't based on a lot of high end talent either. It was based on quantity.

This program is not filled with elite talent. Over the last four years their average ranking is about 18. That seems about right. We spent four years accumulating 80+ 3.3 star guys, more or less. Good enough to win a lot of games and better than most, but far from even being very good.

There is still strength in numbers, though, and we don't have that this year.

2012 ranked 7th with 25 guys

2013 ranked 6 with 27 guys

2014 was 18 or something with 16 guys

Over the past four seasons we've had 82 recruits. We've given scholarships to a few walk ons. We brought in Ty Isaac on a transfer. We have had very few kids leave the program before their four years was up.

I'm not bagging on the current class. It's good. 40th is good. It's hard to be much better than that when you only have 14 guys. But let's not go so far as make it out to be better than it is because it was so small. It still could have been a lot better even if it was the same size.

Our top ten classes of a few years ago wasn't based on a lot of high end talent either. It was based on quantity.

This program is not filled with elite talent. Over the last four years their average ranking is about 18. That seems about right. We spent four years accumulating 80+ 3.3 star guys, more or less. Good enough to win a lot of games and better than most, but far from even being very good.

No problem with any of this. A few more adds could have made a huge difference.

I'm pretty content given the time frame he had to work with. Not to mention he couldn't go full bore 100% recruiting the last month. He was filling out his staff and all the other junk a new coach has to do.

I'm happy. I think with more schollies to offer we'd probably be around 25. Higdon, Washington and Johnson took most of the sting off of losing Clark and Weber. This class could have been real trouble for the program without those 3 quality guys.

Can O'Korn is a good pickup too, just because he's actually had success (for a year anyway) and is another QB. Makes me even happier.

Still have a small chance with Roquan. He's the guy I was most excited about, next to Iman.

I'm happy. I think with more schollies to offer we'd probably be around 25. Higdon, Washington and Johnson took most of the sting off of losing Clark and Weber. This class could have been real trouble for the program without those 3 quality guys.

Can O'Korn is a good pickup too, just because he's actually had success (for a year anyway) and is another QB. Makes me even happier.

Still have a small chance with Roquan. He's the guy I was most excited about, next to Iman.

Adding Roquan in addition to O'Korn would really have to change how you view things, RS for O'Korn or not.

I share the same sentiment. Weber is good but UM has talent at RB, and Harbaugh will recruit RBs just as good if not better in upcoming years.

Higdon played against superior competition (teams like Venice, Manatee and Apopka have a history of national ranking) to Weber, and if you look at his film you'll see great balance, good vision and a kid who runs behind his pads. I would argue that Harbaugh got the RB he really wanted yesterday. Weber was a dog and pony show to please in-staters, and the kid is where he belongs now with his head coach in tow as a package deal.

O'Korn is a quality addition, but a bit surprising considering he'll have to battle the returning starter in 2016.

I'm glad they are adding bodies to the depth chart of the most important position on the field. He might end up being a backup, but you never know. At the very least it gives them an upperclassman option other than Morris in 2016. Morris and speight can cover it in 2015 with Malzone and gentry redshirting. If neither of them work out, then you've got okorn that can step in if you aren't ready to hand the reigns to gentry/Malzone as redshirt freshmen.

If I were a betting man, I would guess that all five won't still be on the team in 2016 anyway.

O'Korn is a quality addition, but a bit surprising considering he'll have to battle the returning starter in 2016.

O'Korn threw for 3K yards and 28TD as a frosh, pretty sure he has reason to feel he has more than a puncher's chance. This gives JH the luxury of redshirting one of Malzone or Gentry, and with Malzone already on campus JH will get an extra look at him immediately. If neither play, perhaps both get a rs?

By the time 2016 come around: Morris will be a senior, O'Korn will be a rs junior, Speight a rs sophomore, with Malzone and Gentry being sophs or rs frosh. O'Korn is huge luxury, almost too good to be true. Kinda like Isaac last year.

O'Korn threw for 3K yards and 28TD as a frosh, pretty sure he has reason to feel he has more than a puncher's chance. This gives JH the luxury of redshirting one of Malzone or Gentry, and with Malzone already on campus JH will get an extra look at him immediately. If neither play, perhaps both get a rs?

By the time 2016 come around: Morris will be a senior, O'Korn will be a rs junior, Speight a rs sophomore, with Malzone and Gentry being sophs or rs frosh. O'Korn is huge luxury, almost too good to be true. Kinda like Isaac last year.

It's great for Michigan. And on second thought, most schools would present a similar challenge, at least on paper, for the starting QB job for O'Korn in 2016 & 17.

Michigan's status hasn't changed one bit.

The previous classes were good to very good. 2015 was shaping up to be the best in the history of Michigan.

According to Scout.....we had commitments from:

#23 Chris Clark

#34 George Campbell

#55 Damien Harris

#69 Mike Weber

#75 Brian Cole

#116 Shawn Crawford

#124 Darian Roseboro

#150 Tyree Kinnel

#185 Alex Malzone

The problem with all of these losses is they are not traditional Michigan strongholds like the State of Michigan, or Northern Ohio. So when the record went bad and the questions on Hoke arose.....these guys bailed. I don't think there should be any concern going forward. So we missed out on some big names. How many big names did Wisconsin, Michigan State, or Penn State miss out on? Not many because they weren't in on them.

Highlights from his Freshman year. I wonder why he got benched. Did he forget how to quarterback?

Sounds like he had a bunch of interceptions early on, and the OC from his freshman year had left for tcu. That's what mgoblog says at least.

Aaaaaand Mike Weber's recruiter has left OSU the day after he signed to go to the Bears. ******* move by the Bucknuts.

Mike Weber ‏@mikeweber25

47 seconds ago

I'm hurt as hell I ain't gone lie

This after Roquan Smith almost got screwed, and Florida commit CeCe Jefferson is not signing his LOI after announcing to FLA and his coach is leaving. His dad laying down the boom:

CeCe's dad RT @frog2567: Yes we are holding out. Florida making to many coaching changes this is not a game it's my son life

That is a total Bush League move by the Buckeyes. They had to of known that he was leaving and knew that he was the one that recruited him. But instead of saying anything they wait till the day after signing day.

Michigan's status hasn't changed one bit.

The previous classes were good to very good. 2015 was shaping up to be the best in the history of Michigan.

According to Scout.....we had commitments from:

#23 Chris Clark

#34 George Campbell

#55 Damien Harris

#69 Mike Weber

#75 Brian Cole

#116 Shawn Crawford

#124 Darian Roseboro

#150 Tyree Kinnel

#185 Alex Malzone

The problem with all of these losses is they are not traditional Michigan strongholds like the State of Michigan, or Northern Ohio. So when the record went bad and the questions on Hoke arose.....these guys bailed. I don't think there should be any concern going forward. So we missed out on some big names. How many big names did Wisconsin, Michigan State, or Penn State miss out on? Not many because they weren't in on them.

Soft commits don't mean a whole bunch. FYI, Campbell decommited in mid-Dec 2013 so that was well before the fiasco that was this season. The kid had all the powerhouses knocking on his door, and rightfully so because he had a crazy ceiling on both sides of the ball.

Definitely not worried about the program going forward.

Aaaaaand Mike Weber's recruiter has left OSU the day after he signed to go to the Bears. ******* move by the Bucknuts.

Shortsighted move by Meyer. Why jeopardize your relationship with Cass Tech (3 recruits in 2 years), as well as others?

Shortsighted move by Meyer. Why jeopardize your relationship with Cass Tech (3 recruits in 2 years), as well as others?

agree. If we were going to make a push to close down Cass Tech to OSU...the coach (Wilcher?) is angry with Urban Meyer.