kgeorge78

Stafford .... Would you trade him for ???

Stafford is the 9th highest paid QB and only $600k ahead of the 10th highest paid, Alex Smith. He's not exactly paid like an elite QB.

On a side note, this thread makes me want to submit elite to Lake Superior State for their banished words list.

Stafford gives a top 20-25 type performance, not a top 10. The top 10 salaries are separated by 5 mil or less I believe. Point is he's vastly overpaid for what he brings to the table (and he's not the only one in the top 10 vastly overpaid).

Oh well. Let's just hope he shows something special Sunday. Hopefully Fairley gets back in there also, help stop the run.

Edited by Firehawk734

Stafford gives a top 20-25 type performance, not a top 10. The top 10 salaries are separated by 5 mil or less I believe.

There's only a 4 million difference between 9th and 17th. After 17th, you get into rookies and backups. I also find it hard to believe there are 25 quarterbacks better than Stafford. He's getting paid the same as Alex Smith. He seems to be fairly paid.

There's only a 4 million difference between 9th and 17th. After 17th, you get into rookies and backups. I also find it hard to believe there are 25 quarterbacks better than Stafford. He's getting paid the same as Alex Smith. He seems to be fairly paid.

Are you using base salary? Figuring in signing bonus?

Are you using base salary? Figuring in signing bonus?

You know what, I didn't factor in signing bonus. He actually ranks 10th instead of 9th. My bad.

There are I think 32 better QBs in terms of QB rating this year.

Stafford had the 5th most pass attempts and finished 35th in completion % at 60%. And this was against mostly garbage teams this year. (DIsclosure: There are a few QBs in the mix who have very high completion % but only played a few snaps or a couple games).

14th with 22 TDs, 13th in interceptions, not bad, but not enough value out of him and the offense.

I'm not saying all of this is 100% on Stafford, just the majority of it. That's why the QB position comes with such controversy. He was sacked a lot this year, but he had a good O line last year and wasn't any better.

The only way all of this goes away is when the Lions with Stafford at the helm, start beating good teams on a regular basis, and on the road.

I do agree that the playcalling at times seems really conservative. Maybe the staff doesn't trust Stafford that much either.

And 'yeahbuddy', quit riling up the crowd LOL

Edited by Firehawk734

You know what, I didn't factor in signing bonus. He actually ranks 10th instead of 9th. My bad.

Interesting that he goes down. I thought he had a big signing bonus.

Other qbs might've too.

Do you remember Joey Harringtons signing bonus?

^ JUST KIDDING

Edited by yeahbuddy

There are I think 32 better QBs in terms of QB rating this year.

Stafford had the 5th most pass attempts and finished 35th in completion % at 60%. And this was against mostly garbage teams this year. (DIsclosure: There are a few QBs in the mix who have very high completion % but only played a few snaps or a couple games).

14th with 22 TDs, 13th in interceptions, not bad, but not enough value out of him and the offense.

I'm not saying all of this is 100% on Stafford, just the majority of it. That's why the QB position comes with such controversy. He was sacked a lot this year, but he had a good O line last year and wasn't any better.

The only way all of this goes away is when the Lions with Stafford at the helm, start beating good teams on a regular basis, and on the road.

I do agree that the playcalling at times seems really conservative. Maybe the staff doesn't trust Stafford that much either.

And 'yeahbuddy', quit riling up the crowd LOL

lol

You know I pay to see the games. I served in the military. I'm a US citizen, so I never thought I'd be called names cuz of my opinion of a friggin QB. lol

Nobody is calling you names because of your opinion. Where you're running into trouble is how you present said opinions. I thought I explained that a couple days ago. I have a feeling you don't really care and are just going to continue acting like a child.

Nobody is calling you names because of your opinion. Where you're running into trouble is how you present said opinions. I thought I explained that a couple days ago. I have a feeling you don't really care and are just going to continue acting like a child.

Perfect example of name calling.

Interesting that he goes down. I thought he had a big signing bonus.

Other qbs might've too.

Do you remember Joey Harringtons signing bonus?

^ JUST KIDDING

I think the first list was just inaccurate. I have confirmed with two different sources that Stafford's cap hit is 10th among QB's.

Arguing about trading Stafford is silly, since he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They can't trade him.

I'm still trying to figure out who called him names. This is the guy who accuses people of having female hormones and makes up pet names like Maypoo.

I think the first list was just inaccurate. I have confirmed with two different sources that Stafford's cap hit is 10th among QB's.

I think that's about right. You read about the cap hell the Lions are in(not sure if that's correct or not though) and it seems they always name Staff, CJ and Suh. So I thought he'd be a bigger hit. But I do remember reading Staff about 10ish.

I'm still trying to figure out who called him names. This is the guy who accuses people of having female hormones and makes up pet names like Maypoo.

I honestly thought he was 12 until he said he was in the military.

I honestly thought he was 12 until he said he was in the military.

Don't say anything bad about Yoda's Staffy or you'll get this childish behavior from him

Arguing about trading Stafford is silly, since he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They can't trade him.

Just having an honest discussion about what fans think the problem is with the offense.

Staffy lovers blame WRs, refs, Oline, Schwartz, Linehan, and some of us think its Staffy.

lol

You know I pay to see the games. I served in the military. I'm a US citizen, so I never thought I'd be called names cuz of my opinion of a friggin QB. lol

Yeah. We get wrapped up in the dumbest of things, don't we? And we're all rooting for the same team even! Just because we don't see the team the same way means we aren't real fans apparently. Oh well. There's a lot more evidence to support being a pessimist with the Lions than an optimist, but I admire those who can remain optimistic about this team.

Yeah. We get wrapped up in the dumbest of things, don't we? And we're all rooting for the same team even! Just because we don't see the team the same way means we aren't real fans apparently. Oh well. There's a lot more evidence to support being a pessimist with the Lions than an optimist, but I admire those who can remain optimistic about this team.

Great post.

This much is certainly true. And there is no prospect of him being cut because they haven't even attempted to draft any QB talent since he's been here, and much like the situation noted a while ago with Riola and Backus, you will never find what you don't look for.

Heck, with a 7 round draft, and average career of 6 yrs (from the league - and one of the more generous estimates) and a 44 man roster, you can hit on everyone your picks every year and you probably still need UDAs to fill out your roster. With the number of picks the Lions have traded away in recent years, they really haven't had the luxury of drafting for depth.

I'm really surprised that the defense is so far ahead of our offense.

I realize that we have a lot of top picks on the D side of the ball but our secondary was decimated with injuries too. Decimated? Too much?

Another excuse I hear on the offensive side of the Baal is that it's a new system. Well, the defense has a new system too. They had injuries. They overcame that. The offense did not.