Shinma

12/28/14 Lions at Packers

They have struggled against winning teams...every team that they are likely to face in the playoffs is a winning team...the significance of that fact is pretty self-evident. I don't think citing that fact = Lions hate.

I didn't say anything about hate. My point was that it's a pretty small sample size and you can't really take anything away from it. I just don't see the relevance of a small, 5-game sample of an nfl schedule.

My only wish is that the Lions would come out and start a game against a really good team knowing they are going to have to score a lot of points to win. They did the same thing yesterday they did against NE...ball control and hope your defense keeps you in the game. We were lucky to get it to 14-14 and not watch Green Bay run away with it.

As good as our defense is, we don't want to get in a ball control battle against Dallas or a defensive struggle against Seattle. Where we have the advantage is firepower. We want high scoring shootouts with lots of possessions.

So do you have to kick it off a tee when you kick off? Because that onside punt was a great idea. And the thing about the kickoff is that it's a live ball after 10 yards and anyone can get it. If you're allowed to do it team should do it every time.

So do you have to kick it off a tee when you kick off? Because that onside punt was a great idea. And the thing about the kickoff is that it's a live ball after 10 yards and anyone can get it. If you're allowed to do it team should do it every time.

The receiving team can just call for a fair catch.

The record is bad enough, why lie about it? It's 0-16.

Don't accuse me of being a liar, punk. I misremembered the stat. 0-16, 0-18, what's the difference? His winning percentage against winning teams on the road is still 0%.

The receiving team can just call for a fair catch.

If I read this correctly:

If ball hits ground or is touched by member of kicking team in flight, fair catch signal is off and all rules for a kicked ball apply.

Why not let the guy call a fair catch and then have someone like calvin just catch it over him? Punt it real high everytime. Let the guy call a fair catch, have calvin run the 20 yards and just stand their, jump and catch the ball.

Don't accuse me of being a liar, punk. I misremembered the stat. 0-16, 0-18, what's the difference? His winning percentage against winning teams on the road is still 0%.

It's been awhile since I've been called a punk. You take things real serious around here.

If I read this correctly:

Why not let the guy call a fair catch and then have someone like calvin just catch it over him? Punt it real high everytime. Let the guy call a fair catch, have calvin run the 20 yards and just stand their, jump and catch the ball.

I would think it would just be downed at the spot where he caught it. Plus when a fair catch is called, you can't just interfere and jump in front an intercept the kick. I believe there is more to it.

No doubt. With a much tougher schedule I see 5-11 or 6-10. But this is what the lions do. Rise up and have a good year. Then fall back down to their normal level the next. It's their legacy of the last half century.

Why is anybody even looking at next season? This season isn't even over yet.

Also, teams outside of the very elite are pretty much a crapshoot from year to year so it's diffcult to look at the schedule 9 months in advance and declare it a tough schedule.

In any event, I was actually somewhat encouraged by the result yesterday after a night of pondering about it. The Lions played a pretty poor game and were still right there with the Packers in the 4th quarter with the ball near midfield down 7 prior to the Bell fumble. If you would have told me prior to the game that the Lions were going to play average at best, I would have predicted a 30 point blowout for the Packers. I think they have a semi-decent chance to beat the Cowboys then from there anything can happen.

Says the guy who called him a liar for barely messing up a number. :)

Thank you. I usually try not to feed him, but you can't let people run around and call you a liar.

Why is anybody even looking at next season? This season isn't even over yet.

Also, teams outside of the very elite are pretty much a crapshoot from year to year so it's diffcult to look at the schedule 9 months in advance and declare it a tough schedule.

In any event, I was actually somewhat encouraged by the result yesterday after a night of pondering about it. The Lions played a pretty poor game and were still right there with the Packers in the 4th quarter with the ball near midfield down 7 prior to the Bell fumble. If you would have told me prior to the game that the Lions were going to play average at best, I would have predicted a 30 point blowout for the Packers. I think they have a semi-decent chance to beat the Cowboys then from there anything can happen.

Agreed. Stafford was mediocre again, and the game was still close until the fumble. (And the Packers were helped by a missed block in the back call on their punt return TD.)

I don't believe that Dallas is as good as Green Bay, and the conditions in Dallas are certainly better suited for Detroit's offense than they were in Green Bay. Finally, it's been pointed out that Dallas was average at home this season. I like Detroit's chances, as long as Suh doesn't get suspended.

Agreed. Stafford was mediocre again, and the game was still close until the fumble. (And the Packers were helped by a missed block in the back call on their punt return TD.)

I don't believe that Dallas is as good as Green Bay, and the conditions in Dallas are certainly better suited for Detroit's offense than they were in Green Bay. Finally, it's been pointed out that Dallas was average at home this season. I like Detroit's chances, as long as Suh doesn't get suspended.

Yep, the controlled weather environment of JerryWorld along with a crowd that usually doesn't supply much of a home field advantage should make this not too momumental of a task for the Lions. They are clearly the underdog but I feel a lot better about their chances against Dallas than I did against Green Bay.

However, if Dummy Suh is suspended, that makes it all the more tougher especially against the best running back in the league.

I think the offense is going to have to come out of its shell in this one. We finally saw flashes of it against Green Bay. I sure hope that Wardford can play, it didn't look good though.

A prediction of biblical proportion.

How dare you downplay my prediction. My predication must be described better than a "prediction of biblical proportions."

I really wish as a Lions fan I could feel more confident about this team heading into Dallas. I wish Stafford could get on a roll like Flacco did when he lead the Ravens to the Super Bowl.

I expected(deserved) negativity when I came here, but I"m very amused that its all about Stafford. He certainly wasn't great,but he was one of the only guys who did anything positive yesterday. Worst 3 TD zero pick game ever I guess. Now that doesn't sum everything up(his QBR was in the 30s IIRC), but neither do the negative comments. Did people watch the game? The OL was atrocious with 3 backups in(2 of whom are really 3rd string caliber players and one rookie starting his first game at a crucial position). He couldn't step into a throw all day or get very much time to make a play. He had the brutal 8 incompletion stretch, but was something like 15 for his last 21.

I really hate to comlain about refs, but much like the Arizona game, this was an atrocity. How many blocks in the back can you get away with on one punt return? The safety call? The TD for Rodgers, the facemask on Levy. These were HUGE, game swinging plays too. Every single one of them had potential to change the outcome of the game and directly resulted in points.

Dallas' defense isnt anything to write home about.

Yah, you need to put 27+ on them period. That offense will be tough for us though. We haven't seen a team that can both run and throw like them and you can't stop Murray from the nickel.

I think the Lions have a better chance to beat Dallas on the road than they had to beat the Packers on the road yesterday. But because it's still the Lions, and they've done nothing to show they can win big games, it's why I can't get super excited about the Lions winning. I'm excited for playoff football, and I hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot again like last night.

But, expect the Cowboys to get benefit of the whistle at home. Expect there to be some big swings in momentum. Hopefully yesterday's loss will teach the Lions something and they can use it next week.

I still say if they lose tomorrow then the season was a failure. I wish for once our team could do something significant in the NFL instead of being the doormat.

Not sure if I would say failure, because the Lions all in all are playing up to their talent level, IMO. But definitely a disappointment. I have seen plenty of playoff appearances (8 in past 25 years), I want a playoff win at least.

I didn't say anything about hate. My point was that it's a pretty small sample size and you can't really take anything away from it. I just don't see the relevance of a small, 5-game sample of an nfl schedule.

I agree that there aren't enough games in the NFL to draw statistically significant sample sizes from single-season W-L records...that's a point I've made around here for a long time WRT to looking at the organization's record over multiple seasons as a barometer of success/failure rather than looking at one season's W-L record in isolation (or splits of W-L records).

However, I think it's reasonable to note that they were 1-4 against winning teams and 10-1 against everybody else, as long as there is some context provided. There are only so many games in the NFL schedule, and the Lions didn't compete well in most of their games against winning teams (which is what I said was self-evident, irrespective of the statistical proofs or lack thereof). It also is self-evident that they played very competitively against losing teams.

I think the above means something about their level of competitiveness. I think it validates what the majority of experts said about this team from before the season, which is that this is a middle-pack team with the ability to go 8-8 plus/minus a couple of games. They outperformed that expected range by a bit because (a) they had a weak schedule and (b) their defensive schemes under Teryl Austin were outstanding.

I saw that Caldwell dismissed the reporter that asked about why they didn't blitz when Rodgers came back in. I thought that was a huge mistake by Austin. Make him move, he was definitely uncomfortable and hobbling walking to and from the huddle. On the flipside, when Warford left the game GB exploited the s*** out of it. The late drive where Stafford hurt his hand and the 3rd and 4th down play where the ball was tipped, GB lined up Peppers on Reynolds and essentially rag dolled him into Stafford. Warford hurt could be huge if he doesn't play. Didn't watch too much of Swanson but the snaps looked good. I guess not seeing him is a good thing.

Overall the better team won. We CAN stop Murry but I don't know if we will. He goes off its over.

I do however LOVE that literally nobody is going to pick us to win this game...that rarely goes over well for the favorite.

And to those who are saying this is a wasted season and that this team is terrible...wake up and take your pity party somewhere else please.

I saw that Caldwell dismissed the reporter that asked about why they didn't blitz when Rodgers came back in. I thought that was a huge mistake by Austin. Make him move, he was definitely uncomfortable and hobbling walking to and from the huddle.

Also, IIRC, there was a key offside penalty on Rodgers' first drive back that switched a 3rd and 8 to a 3rd and 3. At 3rd and only 3 Rodgers could go for a quick pass like he did, was't forced to scramble.

I do however LOVE that literally nobody is going to pick us to win this game...that rarely goes over well for the favorite.

Is that true (the that rarely goes over well for the favorite bit)?

Stats will probably show differently but just trying to keep the faith. But off the top of my head Steelers/Broncos in 2011(Tebow game), Saints/Seahawks in 2010(Seahawks were 7-9) and the 2001 Pats/Rams Super Bowl.