Kamakzie

Breaking News: Suh suspended

NFL writer Jason La Confora is tweeted:

More people I talk to more I get the sense this suh suspension could end up being huge fine instead on appeal. Decision could come today.

Like I said, the NFL was targeting the Lions and Suh, just because.

Feel the need to chime in on this. Lang was holding onto his jersey, Suh was pulling away. I don't think Suh cared if he stepped on somebody, might have even enjoyed it when it happened. .......

I suppose how the reviewer sees this will be the key. How long does it take to form and be responsible for a new intent in that situation?

......Like I said, the NFL was targeting the Lions and Suh, just because.

I agree as the NFL hates Suh. We will see if other NFL teams step up after the season to sign a "dirty" player. Suh's reputation could help the Lions resign him.

What would have happened if Suh didn't put his second leg back(to possibly catch himself or on purpose) and he fell on Rodgers and then Rodgers started his dying act again? Would Suh be suspended? What if Suh didn't step on the dying man Rodgers, but he stepped on any other Green Bay player? Would he be suspended?

Edited by nd1377

He put all of his weight on it though when he lifted his other leg. That wasn't momentum at that point. He knew what he was doing. When I saw it live I gave him the benefit of the doubt but watching the replay leads me to believe it was on purpose.

That's not looking at the bigger picture, which is the problem with the NFL in this case. When you are just looking at the feet, in slow motion, it looks bad for Suh. But when looking at a bigger picture, and seeing the whole play unfold, Suh was backing up to avoid confrontation with a player that grabbed his jersey.

What would have happened if Suh didn't put his second leg back(to possibly catch himself or on purpose) and he fell on Rodgers and then Rodgers started his dying act again? Would Suh be suspended?

certainly a good question. Just like what did happen, someone would have to make a judgement based on what it looked like on the tape

(weird - site just mangled the quote back on that post)

Everybody who can walk has stepped backwards onto someone else's foot and the natural thing to do if it's an accident, is to jump forward OFF of the other persons foot. Not take another step back, then shift your whole weight onto that second step, then walk away like nothing happened.

tmb_5058_480.jpg

He put all of his weight on it though when he lifted his other leg.

How do you lift one leg and not put all your weight on the other leg? Any step he takes, he's going to put all his weight on the other leg.

Everybody who can walk has stepped backwards onto someone else's foot and the natural thing to do if it's an accident, is to jump forward OFF of the other persons foot. Not take another step back, then shift your whole weight onto that second step, then walk away like nothing happened.

In the real world sure, but the NFL where contact is all over the place? You are grabbed, tossed, thrown etc ALL the time. You people are taking real world scenarios and applying them to a sport where contact is not only expected it is necessary.

Get real.

How do you lift one leg and not put all your weight on the other leg? Any step he takes, he's going to put all his weight on the other leg.

You levitate, duh, it's science.

I believe Joe Buck and Troy Aikman have done 3 Lions game this year. All three times they have found a player doing something dirty. I'm going to start a conspiracy that Aikman is trying to hurt the Lions to help his former team.

In the real world sure, but the NFL where contact is all over the place? You are grabbed, tossed, thrown etc ALL the time. You people are taking real world scenarios and applying them to a sport where contact is not only expected it is necessary.

Get real.

Now you defenders are not being realistic. Have you never unweighted off your foot when you felt you were putting it down wrong, for instance with your ankle turned? Or never learned to unweight in skiing or skating? And Suh among the most agile big men in the world probably?

Maybe it was innocent, but he has so much history arguing that it wasn't to overcome. It's sort of like the burden of proof to overturn an existing call when it comes to Suh.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Now you defenders are not being realistic. Have you never unweighted off your foot when you felt you were putting it down wrong, for instance with your ankle turned? Or never learned to unweight in skiing or skating? And Suh among the most agile big men in the world probably?

Maybe it was innocent, but he has so much history arguing that it wasn't to overcome. It's sort of like the burden of proof to overturn an existing call when it comes to Suh.

I have never played in the NFL where contact it like a car crash 20-30 times a game. Again applying real world scenarios to Football...even skating or skiing (not seeing the correlation as I have been an ice skater my whole life, but whatever) is not the same as football.

This is not accidentally backing up and stepping on your neighbors foot while at a BBQ FFS. It is the NFL where the dude was getting pushed back to begin with.

I think the whole incident is way overblown, & as far as Suh's contract negotiation - there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't line up to get him right now. I also think all of the "Suh is a dirty player" crap will end when he signs another deal & you'll hear it for what it really is: "Detroit sucks."

I think the whole incident is way overblown, & as far as Suh's contract negotiation - there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't line up to get him right now. I also think all of the "Suh is a dirty player" crap will end when he signs another deal & you'll hear it for what it really is: "Detroit sucks."

Depends on the team, but if it is one of the 'major' markets you will hear a bunch of crap about how he 'turned himself around'...and when something like this comes up again you will get the excuses from the national media. It is what it is...which is to say it blows.

The 'information superhighway' has certainly done one thing...it let the minor markets know just how irrelevant they are in the grand scheme of things.

I don't know about overblown. Everything is overblown here, that is what we do! But in general, if one of a team's best players is suspended from that team's appearance in the playoffs, that is a pretty legitimate big deal in the world of that football team. It's certainly a bigger deal than losing Riola last week - IMO.

... (not seeing the correlation as I have been an ice skater my whole life, but whatever) ...

True, the term is used in skiing more than skating but it is the same notion. It's what you are doing when you pick your blades (or skies) 'up' off the ice in order to set them in a stop.

Matt Stafford's fiancee on Instagram...

kbhall82

3 hours ago

Thank you. Pretty sure Matthew's leg looks a lot damn worse right now from when he got stepped on/cleated in the same game. But it wasn't Suh.. And he's not Aaron Rodgers, so no one would think twice about it. #nflbias #givemeabreak #DETROITvsEVERYBODY

Instagram

Matt Stafford's fiancee on Instagram...

Instagram

Didn't he have to get her off Twitter last year. Is this a different SO or just a long engagement? Bad for any athlete to want/allow his(her?) SO to carry his water.

True, the term is used in skiing more than skating but it is the same notion. It's what you are doing when you pick your blades (or skies) 'up' off the ice in order to set them in a stop.

Late to the party, but I also heard Polian, who was the Merton Hanks of his time, say that passed down from Rozelle, to Tagliabue to him was the LAST thing you ever do is suspension. Suspension in itself is a byproduct of officiating intent which in this particular case can not be done clearly with conviction.

I do believe the slo motion replay and zooming in only builds a stronger case for conviction as it lengthens the time Suh is on Rodgers and removes all the other elements that could have influenced the outcome, which I believe are relevant when trying to officiate intention. How can you remove all that and be objective?

ANY review sent to a league office will never benefit the 'offender' when the slow motion strategy is applied. It will always look worse than it was. You have to look at it for what it was as it happened, not what you can make it out to be. I also believe that human nature is to let commentary in the moment (Buck and Aikman) influence perceptions, I also think that Buck and Aikman were influenced by Rodgers, who made it look bad also.

Did Suh do it intentionally? I have no idea. If so he got lucky because he hit his mark on a first try without looking. Maybe he got lucky. Maybe he meant to do it, but I personally do not see enough to convict, in real time and with the input of the referee on the field. Finally in the decision made by Hanks, Suh's past was not referenced, so I understand that in appeal his past can not be referenced. This will or at least, should be a singular event.

By the way...Gehringer_2...you been messin' with the bees?

Didn't he have to get her off Twitter last year. Is this a different SO or just a long engagement? Bad for any athlete to want/allow his(her?) SO to carry his water.

Yeah, never a good look.

Also, did any of the Packers players step on Stafford's leg in the wide open for everyone and every camera to see? Is there video we can send to the league?

Yeah, never a good look.

Also, did any of the Packers players step on Stafford's leg in the wide open for everyone and every camera to see? Is there video we can send to the league?

We need slow mo of the guy stepping on Warford!

Yeah, never a good look.

She is not carrying his water she has an opinion and expressed it. In this day and age of people screaming sexism/racism all over the place I think most people would applaud a strong woman expressing herself.

And just because there is not video of it does not mean it did not happen. I recorded the game and watched it again. I did not see Stafford getting stepped on, but that does not mean it did not happen.

She is not carrying his water she has an opinion and expressed it. In this day and age of people screaming sexism/racism all over the place I think most people would applaud a strong woman expressing herself.

And just because there is not video of it does not mean it did not happen. I recorded the game and watched it again. I did not see Stafford getting stepped on, but that does not mean it did not happen.

Apparently this is a picture of it, can't see it going on though: https://twitter.com/Bischoff_Scott/status/550046545119563776

He says it is at 10:09 left in third quarter Sunday, in another tweet.

Edited by drownwithyou