LooseGoose

Pistons Waive Josh Smith

I think at the end of the day most are right in saying that it was probably the wrong move logically, but I think this team needed him gone last month so the sooner you just get rid of him the better. You can't take a guy you're playing 36 mpg and just start DNP'ing him or cutting him to 20 mpg. SVG was auditioning him and he was just hurting his own stock to the point that moving him was NEVER going to happen, no matter what Thorpe says. I think this was a 'health of the franchise' kinda move and was for the best.

Can we trade Jennings for Gerald Wallace now and end the terrible, terrible reign of the two biggest knuckleheads I've ever seen?

Can we trade Jennings for Gerald Wallace now and end the terrible, terrible reign of the two biggest knuckleheads I've ever seen?

I would not do that deal.

Reading the rockets forum and many of them are convinced Smith is an elite defensive player. They are in a for a surprise.

Yeah he is only a good defensive player, Morey is an idiot who doesn't know much about a little thing called stats! Note fellas, Morey is looking at intangibles lately more than numbers when it comes to role players. He will shoehorn as much metric basketball he can into these tough but limited offensive players like Ariza, Beverly and Smith around Harden and Howard and politely tell Chandler Parsons to go pound sand. He risked Parsons because really, he was OK with losing Parsons. He wanted, gasp, some intangible qualities in his role players.

Yeah he is only a good defensive player, Morey is an idiot who doesn't know much about a little thing called stats! Note fellas, Morey is looking at intangibles lately more than numbers when it comes to role players. He will shoehorn as much metric basketball he can into these tough but limited offensive players like Ariza, Beverly and Smith around Harden and Howard and politely tell Chandler Parsons to go pound sand. He risked Parsons because really, he was OK with losing Parsons. He wanted, gasp, some intangible qualities in his role players.

The Rockets are such a weird mix this year, and adding Smith compounds that IMO. Losing the production of Lin and Parsons in the offseason, compounded with the injury to Jones put Morey in a tight spot which lead him to picking up Smith. It will be interesting to see how he fits in there, and if he can be more productive playing alongside the best scoring SG and best all-around C in the league*.

*I miss the days when being the best all-around C in the league really meant something.

Eh, its all bout the price. If Parsons cost the same as Ariza, Parsons would still be a Rocket.

I thought Smith was Smith last night. First game with team...take more shots than Harden.

How Much Better Will the Detroit Pistons Be Without Josh Smith? | Bleacher Report

"Detroit had been outscored by 11.6 points/100 when Smith played, as opposed to a more manageable 1.3 points/100 when he didn't."

I knew it was bad, but wow. You could definitely see a difference last night without him out there, especially on offense as this next quote indicates:

"Without Smith, the Pistons have scored about as efficiently as have the Sacramento Kings, Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat—which is to say, roughly league average. With him, their offensive output plunged to depths known only by the Philadelphia 76ers."

The Rockets are such a weird mix this year, and adding Smith compounds that IMO. Losing the production of Lin and Parsons in the offseason, compounded with the injury to Jones put Morey in a tight spot which lead him to picking up Smith. It will be interesting to see how he fits in there, and if he can be more productive playing alongside the best scoring SG and best all-around C in the league*.

*I miss the days when being the best all-around C in the league really meant something.

They don't need offensive production, Harden can get 60 points on 7 shots if they need him too. He has those Kevin Martin awkward body movements that scream 'I GOT FOULED" even with no contact, and he is head and shoulders above Martin in the handles department.

Eh, its all bout the price. If Parsons cost the same as Ariza, Parsons would still be a Rocket.

I thought Smith was Smith last night. First game with team...take more shots than Harden.

You can't miss the trend even without the Parsons/Ariza stuff. Brewer, Josh Smith, Beverly over Lin in addition to what I suspect was an indifference to what Parsons brought to his team.

As far as Smith taking shots, they were calling his number because Carter was on him and Howard was a no show in the post. Smith became the post option complimenting Harden. Not his fault.

How many Josh Smith jerseys do you own?

Both the Piston,s and Smith had good first nights. But I bet the Pistons have a better chance of duplicating that effort than Smith.

Good move by SVG

They don't need offensive production, Harden can get 60 points on 7 shots if they need him too. He has those Kevin Martin awkward body movements that scream 'I GOT FOULED" even with no contact, and he is head and shoulders above Martin in the handles department.

Between Lin, Parsons and Jones that's production that goes beyond points and I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that.

Even though they don't need Smith to shoot, he will anyway--and that's the problem.

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Josh Smith will play in 83 games this year, assuming he plays in every Rocket game left.

40 people have played > 82 games in a year. The most games played in a year is 88.

Player Season Finder | Basketball-Reference.com

Great stat, and very interesting that Walt Bellamy 53 of his 88 games in a Pistons uniform.

Bellamy's scoring average declined each of the four years after his incredible rookie campaign, looks crazy on paper.

What ticks me off is that he made all three of his free throws.

And he had two huge rebounds in OT. He had more than a few issues with that here.

And he had two huge rebounds in OT. He had more than a few issues with that here.

More motivation on a better team? Did he have the Lamar Odom Dallas syndrome while he was in Detroit?

More motivation on a better team? Did he have the Lamar Odom Dallas syndrome while he was in Detroit?

I suppose it's possible that even for Smith there is some team with some combination of other players where he is the perfect fit, but color me still unpersuaded after one game! :laugh:

This will be a good test for McHale, Harden, and to a lesser extent, Howard.

Almost all championship teams have players on it who sacrifice stats for the good of the team. Usually the star player, coach, or a combination of both get the players to buy into that.

If they can get Smith to buy into that, they will do well. If not, it only cost them about $1.3M after you prorate his salary. Well worth the risk.

Last night is exactly what you want from Smith. Shot wasn't falling, so he shut it down.

28% on 7 shots is fine. Its the nights he keeps shooting and is 28% on 16 shots that makes him bad.