LooseGoose

Pistons Waive Josh Smith

According to the Free Press and News, that offer also did include us sending a 1st to SAC.

There is a surprise...not. But yeah, let's trust national sources who only talk about the Pistons when they cut Josh Smith (not talking about you 4hz).

This rap is tired man. You've established yourself as an SVG hater before any dust has settled. Keep on keepin on I suppose.

The savings mean nothing with the Salary Cap about to expand with TV contracts. It's better to have none of those players.

Keep on being wrong. Multiple people reporting the offers, no picks mentioned. But oh, you somehow know a pick had to be required. Stop being so wrong.

That option costs Gores $6M (Thompson's salary). Waiving Smith will cost them $27M.

It's not going to work that way. Smith will sign for a deal next off season and some of the cost will be offset. Again, with the cap going up it's just better to rid yourself of a player rather than taking on other bad players. Just move on when the cost doesn't mean anything.

According to the Free Press and News, that offer also did include us sending a 1st to SAC.

Of course they say that now. If I just cost my boss $21M I would leak the same info.

It's not going to work that way. Smith will sign for a deal next off season and some of the cost will be offset. Again, with the cap going up it's just better to rid yourself of a player rather than taking on other bad players. Just move on when the cost doesn't mean anything.

What? How do you think his money will be offset?

What? How do you think his money will be offset?

Josh Smith isn't going to sign for the minimum next year. When that happens the Pistons have to fill in the rest. So they will still eat a good portion. But again, it just doesn't matter. It's only money.

As far as basketball players go, regardless of money, this is a much better deal than getting any of those Kings players.

I haven't been this happy to see a big man waived since Doug Collins shipped Oliver Miller out of town...

Of course they say that now. If I just cost my boss $21M I would leak the same info.

So of course the local writer is wrong...because. And the national writer is correct because it fits your narrative. Always.

Not impressed with SVG as GM at all. What a terrible move if Sacramento was really willing to take him this summer.

Not sure I see the point in stretching him either. They have so much cap space in the next 2-3 years they don't need the extra room.

Agreed, SVG had to have figured he could work things out with Monroe's contract and then trade Smith (???). Unless SVG has a big-contract guy or two he thinks will come to Detroit next summer stretching him doesn't seem all that great.

On the bright side, Smith is gone and Jennings is on notice.

Josh Smith isn't going to sign for the minimum next year. When that happens the Pistons have to fill in the rest. So they will still eat a good portion. But again, it just doesn't matter. It's only money.

As far as basketball players go, regardless of money, this is a much better deal than getting any of those Kings players.

That isn't how it works. But I'm not shocked you are wrong.

If he signs for $5M they don't take $5M off of what Detroit owes him.

So of course the local writer is wrong...because. And the national writer is correct because it fits your narrative. Always.

The local guy is wrong because it was never reported until after he was waived. Its damage control.

That isn't how it works. But I'm not shocked you are wrong.

If he signs for $5M they don't take $5M off of what Detroit owes him.

It's not a one to one formula. But every team has a right to an off-set.

If another team signs a player who has cleared waivers, the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money it still owes the player (and lower their team salary) by a commensurate amount. This is called the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it does not have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran

I'm tempted to go find the threads when Smith was signed. All of those insane people who thought he was a good pickup. He couldn't even make it through half of his contract.

The local guy is wrong because it was never reported until after he was waived. Its damage control.

I don't actually believe that you think a team was willing to take on Smith without a first.

But again, even if that is the case. I still wouldn't have made the deal either. You know the cap is going up, it doesn't matter. It's better to not have those other players on the roster.

It's not a one to one formula. But every team has a right to an off-set.

So if Smith signs for $5M and the minimum salary is $800K, lets just round up to $1M. You can take away $2M per year, $4M for both years combined. So $17M is still owed to him. I'm sure Gores is jumping for joy over that...

I'm tempted to go find the threads when Smith was signed. All of those insane people who thought he was a good pickup. He couldn't even make it through half of his contract.

You want to play I told you so?

So if Smith signs for $5M and the minimum salary is $800K, lets just round up to $1M. You can take away $2M per year, $4M for both years combined. So $17M is still owed to him. I'm sure Gores is jumping for joy over that...

Who cares what Gores think, if he is willing to sign the checks, fine. The argument was if money would be off-set. I even said the Pistons would eat a large chunk.

I don't actually believe that you think a team was willing to take on Smith without a first.

But again, even if that is the case. I still wouldn't have made the deal either. You know the cap is going up, it doesn't matter. It's better to not have those other players on the roster.

Stop, just stop. I laid out the way it works, you wouldn't have those players on the roster and you still saved money. Pay attention instead of just replying blindly.

Stop, just stop. I laid out the way it works, you wouldn't have those players on the roster and you still saved money. Pay attention instead of just replying blindly.

Not the truth:

If they had taken the Williams/Thompson deal:

Williams finishes the year in Detroit. If they like him they pick up his option or extend him. If not, they decline his option and he is gone, freeing up a roster spot.

Thompson gets cut and stretched. $6M is all he would be owed because his third year is not guaranteed. So they cut him, stretch it for two years and take a $3M cap space hit for two years.

That option costs Gores $6M (Thompson's salary). Waiving Smith will cost them $27M.

Like I said, it's better to not have another of those players for any reasons and it saves a lot of paper work when the money doesn't matter.

Not the truth:

Like I said, it's better to not have another of those players for any reasons and it saves a lot of paper work when the money doesn't matter.

It saves paper work? GTFO.

Save millions of dollars? Not a big deal according to T&P. Save paper work? Hell yes! Make it happen!

What a waste Smith was.

At least now we can lose with people "who it makes sense to lose with."

Smith had to go. Any progress that was possible just seemed impossible as long as the guy was here. Addition by subtraction.

https://twitter.com/vgoodwill/status/547114033149902848

Reaction from folks around the league has been more mixed than the reaction on the twitter. Many thinking of long-term effects w/FA's

https://twitter.com/Vincent_Ellis56/status/547113872214474752

Hate to throw coal in stockinga, but some questioning the move on Smith. Especially when you consider they could have moved him this summer.

This may be the first by-product of giving Stan Van Gundy full control.

How cool would it to be a coach and say, "Screw it, let's just get rid of him" and go ahead and do it.

I would have to run the numbers again. But the Pistons were looking at having around $20-$25M in cap space before the Smith move. You could be looking at over $30M in cap space next year.

I fully expect people to not understand it, they haven't watch the pistons the last year and a half everyday like we did. They don't know.