LooseGoose

Pistons Waive Josh Smith

Nobody is going to pick him up so what happens to his contract once he clears? Does he get bought out and thus become a free agent again?

Nevermind, I got my answer. So it is an automatic buyout with the dollars lessened due to "The Stretch Provision" so he will be free to go where he wants. I'd be interested to see which team takes a flier on him. I'm sure he looks like a more attractive option without the boat anchor contract attached. I could see Milwaukee taking a shot now that Parker is out for the season.

Edited by NYLion

Nobody is going to pick him up so what happens to his contract once he clears? Does he get bought out and thus become a free agent again?

Nevermind, I got my answer. So it is an automatic buyout with the dollars lessened due to "The Stretch Provision" so he will be free to go where he wants. I'd be interested to see which team takes a flier on him. I'm sure he looks like a more attractive option without the boat anchor contract attached. I could see Milwaukee taking a shot now that Parker is out for the season.

Smith will go to a playoff contender in the West.

Smith will go to a playoff contender in the West.

Probably but which team is going to risk disputing team chemistry?

I picked Milwaukee because they now have a void at small forward and probably need a bit of a boost to secure playoff position. The West playoff teams have very few roster holes, I don't know where he fits on any of those teams. Maybe Dallas takes a shot because Cuban. Maybe New Orleans where he could play off of Davis?

Probably but which team is going to risk disputing team chemistry?

I picked Milwaukee because they now have a void at small forward and probably need a bit of a boost to secure playoff position. The West playoff teams have very few roster holes, I don't know where he fits on any of those teams. Maybe Dallas takes a shot because Cuban. Maybe New Orleans where he could play off of Davis?

Rondo and Smith are best friends, so my pick is Dallas as well. They traded Brandon Wright and will need a guy to play the 4. It fits.

Just so I'm clear on this:

As a bonus to the addition by subtraction of getting Josh off of this team, did we also just gain about 8 million in cap space for each of the next two years by stretching out the cap hit?

What would be super awesome is if the Sixers claimed Josh Smith. They are $17M below the minimum salary cap for the season. They could use a vet, right?

Just so I'm clear on this:

As a bonus to the addition by subtraction of getting Josh off of this team, did we also just gain about 8 million in cap space for each of the next two years by stretching out the cap hit?

We did. And will be penalized $5M a year for two years after.

Kings will pick him up and Josh will be back in the Palace on January 4th to hear the cascades of boos from every fan in the stands, including me.

Not impressed with SVG as GM at all. What a terrible move if Sacramento was really willing to take him this summer.

Not sure I see the point in stretching him either. They have so much cap space in the next 2-3 years they don't need the extra room.

Great, great news. Perhaps the best day we Pistons fans have had since we were actually good.

I personally like this move as opposed to dumping up for Landry and Thompson. Why clog up the bench with garbage when we can release him and save space to rebuild?

Not impressed with SVG as GM at all. What a terrible move if Sacramento was really willing to take him this summer.

Not sure I see the point in stretching him either. They have so much cap space in the next 2-3 years they don't need the extra room.

You couldn't be more wrong about this. Sacramento was in no way offering that deal without a 1st attached, you should know better.

This is a really good move by a GM, outstanding start to his GM career.

Great, great news. Perhaps the best day we Pistons fans have had since we were actually good.

I personally like this move as opposed to dumping up for Landry and Thompson. Why clog up the bench with garbage when we can release him and save space to rebuild?

Exactly, that trade wasn't even good. This is the best move.

You couldn't be more wrong about this. Sacramento was in no way offering that deal without a 1st attached, you should know better.

This is a really good move by a GM, outstanding start to his GM career.

Am I going to believe national writers or you who is wrong all the time? I have made my pick.

The trade was Williams and Thompson. Williams was a team option next year and could be cut for nothing. Cut and stretch Thompson and it would have saved a ton of money for Gores. Bad move SVG. He gambled and lost.

Great move by SVG. Smith was terrible.

Smith hitting the highway and the Lions making the playoffs is a great gift for all Detroit fans.

The Thompson/Williams deal was the right move. What a shame.

This rap is tired man. You've established yourself as an SVG hater before any dust has settled. Keep on keepin on I suppose.

The savings mean nothing with the Salary Cap about to expand with TV contracts. It's better to have none of those players.

If they had taken the Williams/Thompson deal:

Williams finishes the year in Detroit. If they like him they pick up his option or extend him. If not, they decline his option and he is gone, freeing up a roster spot.

Thompson gets cut and stretched. $6M is all he would be owed because his third year is not guaranteed. So they cut him, stretch it for two years and take a $3M cap space hit for two years.

That option costs Gores $6M (Thompson's salary). Waiving Smith will cost them $27M.