LooseGoose

Pistons Waive Josh Smith

I am not sure if this is great timing or bad timing...the Lions are taking over the local sports talk...this has barely got a mention. Good for the organization? I would think so...

The Pistons have to be very good to be a serious portion of the Detroit sports talk.

I don't want to hear people talking about how Gores isn't committed to this franchise anymore. After the millions he's put into the Palace and now this move, I think it's pretty obvious he's willing to spend money even when this franchise is seeing record lows in attendance. As a Piston fan and a season ticket holder, I'm happy to see it.

As for whether or not there could have been a summer trade - nobody knows the real details expect for Stan and the King's GM. Until then everyone will assume the story that makes the most sense to prove to their point. Whatever. The bottom line is at this point nobody was taking him and so Stan/Gores decided to make the bold move and waive him rather than bench him and watch him continue to infect this team. Kudos to them for pulling out all stops on trying to bring this franchise back from Joe's debacle. It was a move that many on this board wanted to see happen, but I don't think many people realistically thought they'd do it. They did. And we should be very happy today as a result. Xmas came early this year.

I'm on cloud 9 today and I can't wait to go to the game on Friday. We'll probably still lose, but at least I'll feel better about the product I'm cheering for and the leadership team trying to move us in the right direction.

So if Smith signs for $5M and the minimum salary is $800K, lets just round up to $1M. You can take away $2M per year, $4M for both years combined. So $17M is still owed to him. I'm sure Gores is jumping for joy over that...

I wonder if Gores even knows this was done. The Pistons aren't in LA.

I wonder if Gores even knows this was done. The Pistons aren't in LA.

He is in for a shock when we play the Lakers in March.

He is in for a shock when we play the Lakers in March.

"hey, where's that smith guy?"

"we traded him, it's cool, don't worry about your money."

"sweet dude, I will be in my suite not watching."

I really don't care what offers were on the table during the offseason. I can understand why SVG would've wanted to take a chance with Smith. He has an ego. He's a coach. Of course he's going to want to think he may have an impact on him.

More than anything about this team - even more than the losses piling up - Josh Smith was just death to me with this franchise. When we play volleyball, I have these players I call "black holes." They are players either physically unable to do anything or mentally unwilling to do what it takes physically to do anything right. Therefore whenever the ball gets to them the just suck the life out of the play and make it unfun for everyone involved. It's not even a matter of being frustrated or mad. You just see the void and at a certain point you just know it's never going to get better and stomach it. You can't even get emotional about it. At the NBA level, this guy is a complete "black hole." You see some physical tools to where you can see it's possible to make this guy a quality piece to your team, but after awhile you just realize it's not going to happen and you you find yourself just accepting the garbage because there's nothing you can do about it. That's that person and it's not going to change. You put him out there, and you know what you are getting.

Apparently it took SVG about 1/3rd of a year to figure the guy was hopeless. And until he left progress was essentially impossible.

None of the stories about trading smith in the offseason involved giving up a #1 pick.

I think svg thought he could make it work with smith.

The handling of the smith and monroe situations have told me that svg has a lot to learn about being an nba gm.

At least when I watch a game and I see some younger guys making mistakes and maybe still losing games, I'll have a bit better view of it.

It was so hard to watch games and see this aging veteran just "black hole" the team to death and know someone else should be on the court. He hurt the development of players when he was on the court. He took minutes from others that could possibly use those minutes so we could find out what others could do. The Pistons now have 30 minutes of playing time freed up to try other options or even just use other lineups that may not even involve someone specifically playing the role Smith did for this team (still trying to figure out exactly what that role was).

The word regression comes up in my mind. Any time that guy was on the court, the organization really couldn't progress in any real or philosophical way. When he was on the court, regression was the only true possibility.

The handling of the smith and monroe situations have told me that svg has a lot to learn about being an nba gm.

And I feel the opposite. Do we duel?

Why can't we just agree that it was dumb to not possibly trade him away when the chance was there, but also that it was smart to recognize that it failed and cut him.

A lot of GMs would (imo) never get rid of a completely sunk cost like that, especially if they did mess up possibly trading him.

I'm tempted to go find the threads when Smith was signed. All of those insane people who thought he was a good pickup. He couldn't even make it through half of his contract.

I think most people thought he was a garbage pick up.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-pistons/101158-josh-smith-agrees-sign-detroit.html

If anything you seem like the crazily positive guy when you suggested he wouldn't suck as bad as Ben Gordon.

Why can't we just agree that it was dumb to not possibly trade him away when the chance was there, but also that it was smart to recognize that it failed and cut him.

A lot of GMs would (imo) never get rid of a completely sunk cost like that, especially if they did mess up possibly trading him.

I think most people thought he was a garbage pick up.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-pistons/101158-josh-smith-agrees-sign-detroit.html

If anything you seem like the crazily positive guy when you suggested he wouldn't suck as bad as Ben Gordon.

As bad as Smith was, he wasn't close to BG bad.

I really don't care what offers were on the table during the offseason. I can understand why SVG would've wanted to take a chance with Smith. He has an ego. He's a coach. Of course he's going to want to think he may have an impact on him.

More than anything about this team - even more than the losses piling up - Josh Smith was just death to me with this franchise. When we play volleyball, I have these players I call "black holes." They are players either physically unable to do anything or mentally unwilling to do what it takes physically to do anything right. Therefore whenever the ball gets to them the just suck the life out of the play and make it unfun for everyone involved. It's not even a matter of being frustrated or mad. You just see the void and at a certain point you just know it's never going to get better and stomach it. You can't even get emotional about it. At the NBA level, this guy is a complete "black hole." You see some physical tools to where you can see it's possible to make this guy a quality piece to your team, but after awhile you just realize it's not going to happen and you you find yourself just accepting the garbage because there's nothing you can do about it. That's that person and it's not going to change. You put him out there, and you know what you are getting.

Apparently it took SVG about 1/3rd of a year to figure the guy was hopeless. And until he left progress was essentially impossible.

One of the most skilled players that is a semi-regular to my drop in skate is a black hole. Every time he touches the puck you know you aren't getting it as a teammate unless someone knocks it off of his stick and onto yours. It is too bad because he is fast like the wind, can stickhandle well and has a top notch shot, but most of the time all that skill gets him is a bad angle shot because the d-man knows he won't pass and can force him to the boards.

Damn near hate playing with him and I doubt he is going to change at this point.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

One of the most skilled players that is a semi-regular to my drop in skate is a black hole. Every time he touches the puck you know you aren't getting it as a teammate unless someone knocks it off of his stick and onto yours.

I have to imagine he used to drive coaches crazy when he was playing on hus youth teams 5 years ago because he is fast like the wind, can stickhandle well and has a top notch shot, but most of the time all that skill gets him is a bad angle shot because the d-man knows he won't pass and can force him to the boards.

Damn near hate playing with him and he isn't going to change at this point.

This describes both Smith and Jennings. They both have the physical skills to be good players but they lack the corresponding mental skills. I hope SVG gets rid of Jennings soon.

One of the most skilled players that is a semi-regular to my drop in skate is a black hole. Every time he touches the puck you know you aren't getting it as a teammate unless someone knocks it off of his stick and onto yours. It is too bad because he is fast like the wind, can stickhandle well and has a top notch shot, but most of the time all that skill gets him is a bad angle shot because the d-man knows he won't pass and can force him to the boards.

Damn near hate playing with him and I doubt he is going to change at this point.

And because he fails to do anything else, he doesn't make anyone else better and he actually makes it harder on himself. That means through the course of his playing time he has a negative-sum affect on the game for the team.

There's a part of me that wants to purchase a couple of tickets for Friday's game now.

Last night I was thinking, "At least I don't have to worry about the Pistons until Friday."

And because he fails to do anything else, he doesn't make anyone else better and he actually makes it harder on himself. That means through the course of his playing time he has a negative-sum affect on the game for the team.

Yup, but he'll get 2 goals in drop in based purely on volume shooting and carry the puck as much as anyone (easily) so he'll convince himself that he is dominating.

I have a blackhole on my beer league line... but it is because he isn't very good. Never in the right place and he panics when he gets the puck and just ends up throwing it away to the other team. My line constantly feels like we are on a penalty kill. It is different than your situation though...it is super frustrating to play with him but I can't really yell at him for just not being very good.

Super nice guy though...

What? How do you think his money will be offset?

Whatever his new team pays will offset the money the Pistons owe him, supposedly Houston was going to offer the bi-annual at 2 m/yr. Minor amounts, but a little less of a hit.

Why would they stretch out the cap hit? They won't be a contender the next two years anyway so they might as well just take the hit rather than extend it into years when they might actually start turning it around.

Why would they stretch out the cap hit? They won't be a contender the next two years anyway so they might as well just take the hit rather than extend it into years when they might actually start turning it around.

That's true, but the main thing is cap inflation. If the cap is going up year by year, you are taking less of a total hit in 'today's cap dollars' by pushing them out to when the cap is higher.

Eh, the main thing is how much and when do you need the cap space.

No sense stretching him to create a bunch of cap space now when you already have $20-$25M in cap space this summer, even with Smith's full contract counting against the cap.

Now if they have a couple of free agents in mind for this summer and feel they have a realistic shot at them, it probably makes sense to stretch him and have enough cap space to sign them.

Imagine if you owed money to someone and you knew that the dollar was going to go way down in value two weeks from now. You'd rather pay them 3/5ths of that money after the dollar declines in value rather than pay now while the value is still high.

Same thing with the cap. Every cap dollar will be worth much less from 2017 on, so pay your bills when the dollar is worth less. In the meantime you get an extra 8 mil per year over the next two years to spend on assets while the value of the cap dollar is still high.

It makes all the sense in the world to spread this hit out.