LooseGoose

Pistons Waive Josh Smith

He may not have earned his pt, but he certainly earned his waiver.

Must not have been able to trade him without attaching a pick.

So, I am not well versed on this. Is there a salary cap hit this season, or do the remaining years of his contract count against the cap for those seasons? My guess is the latter, but I don't know. I would imagine whomever picks him up isn't going to do so for much more than minimum, if more at all.

I suspect this means Monroe will be the starting PF the remainder of the season. I also suspect this is an attempt to convince Monroe to re-sign with the Pistons.

Pistons Waive Josh Smith | Hoops Rumors

So here's a bit more to it and a the plan for his salary.

The Pistons have waived Josh Smith, the team announced via press release. A source tipped Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press to the news shortly before it happened (Twitter link). The team will use the stretch provision, tweets Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News. The stretch provision will spread Smith’s $13.5MM salaries for 2015/16 and 2016/17 in equal $5.4MM amounts each season through 2019/20, but his full $13.5MM for this season is stuck on the payroll, assuming he clears waivers and assuming Smith and the team didn’t agree to a buyout.

“Our team has not performed the way we had expected throughout the first third of the season and adjustments need to be made in terms of our focus and direction,” Pistons president of basketball operations Stan Van Gundy said in the team’s statement. “We are shifting priorities to aggressively develop our younger players while also expanding the roles of other players in the current rotation to improve performance and build for our future. As we expand certain roles, others will be reduced. In fairness to Josh, being a highly versatile 10-year veteran in this league, we feel it’s best to give him his freedom to move forward. We have full respect for Josh as a player and a person.”

It’s a shocking move, but the team was had been “desperately” seeking to trade Smith and teams were insisting that the Pistons attach a first-round pick to him, according to Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press (Twitter link). The Kings have maintained interest in trading for Smith, though reports make it unclear just how warm Sacramento has been to the idea recently after the team appeared to make a strong push for Smith over the summer, when Van Gundy rejected the Kings’ entreaties.

Smith is close with with new Maverick Rajon Rondo, Chris Mannix of SI.com points out (on Twitter), and the two have spoken many times about playing together, according to Smith. The 29-year-old Smith will surely be a sought-after commodity on the free agent market once he, as expected, clears waivers in two days. The high cost of his contract makes him an unlikely candidate to be claimed off waivers.

I suspect this means Monroe will be the starting PF the remainder of the season. I also suspect this is an attempt to convince Monroe to re-sign with the Pistons.

I think I agree with you on both.

This news is so big I had to post again...

SVG (and Gores) just gave Piston's fans a massive holiday gift! If anyone thought these two didn't have the guts to make bold moves and do whatever it takes to change the franchise, they better think again. I'm honestly shocked, in a good way.

I feel like it's Thanksgiving though because I need to list all of the things I'm thankful for:

--I never have to hear people say "JSmoove" and "Pistons" in direct relation to each other anymore.

--I never have to watch Josh completely take us out of a run by turning the ball over and jacking up a bad shot two plays in a row (last night)

--I never have to hear about the "big three lineup" again.

--I can root for the Pistons and actually like the majority of the players on the court (well, there's still Jennings...)

--I don't have to hear about Josh being a great "Point Forward" as he gets 7 turnovers to go with his 8 assists.

--I don't have to try to dream up trades that will never happen because nobody would take on Josh willingly...except for Joe D.

--We can stop building that new practice facility we've been putting together with all of Josh's bricks.

--No more watching Josh brick free throw after free throw and then spot up for a just inside the three line shot on the very next play as if he could make that.

At least there's some value there opposed to giving away another 1st.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 16m16 minutes ago

Detroit had opportunity to move Josh Smith to Sacramento for Carl Landry and Jason Thompson in summer, but passed on the offer.

There is the reason Smith was getting PT- to try to showcase him for a trade. Big move by SVG- we are on the hook financially though.

Sunk cost. No one was going to take him. If the Lakers wouldn't move Nash for him, if the Kings' owner/coach was the only one to show interest and ultimately decline, then no team was going to take him unless they could come out ahead in terms of time and/or take valuable assets along with JSmoove (one more time just for Betrayer).

Detroit had opportunity to move Josh Smith to Sacramento for Carl Landry and Jason Thompson in summer, but passed on the offer.

Van Gundy probably thought he could do something with Smith at the time. Tough lesson to learn.

This is so much better than trade because a trade have meant another overpaid bum. Now they can spread out that money and it won't be too much a drag financially in the coming years.

Van Gundy probably thought he could do something with Smith at the time. Tough lesson to learn.

Or maybe they wanted us to ship a pick over as well and Stan refused.

I expect to see a lot more playing time for Jerebko with this move. He's been busting his butt on the court and playing pretty well on both ends. Not the most talented guy but he gives you 100% effort at all times and I think that's more important to Stan right now than anything else as he tries to change the identity of the team.

On a related note, I've heard some buzz around Dinwiddie lately and Stan wanting to get him on the court more...could a move for Jennings be in the works as well to clear the way for more Dinwiddie playing time?

I don't believe that any team was willing to take Smith without the Pistons giving up a pick.

I don't believe that any team was willing to take Smith without the Pistons giving up a pick.

I am not sure if this is great timing or bad timing...the Lions are taking over the local sports talk...this has barely got a mention. Good for the organization? I would think so...

Yah, we'll never know. Joe D probably fed Woj that story anyways.

Stein reporting something similar to Woj.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 7m7 minutes ago

Kings original offers to Detroit in June featured Jason Thompson/Derrick Williams. Subsequent pitches involved Landry subbed in for Williams