DaBishop

Fun with trades

So here's my latest thoughts. Charlotte probably wants out of Stephenson, Cleveland needs a better big man to give them some inside presence, and we need a young SF. No brainer.

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

I'd rather have KCP and see what he can become. His shooting % should only get better and he is improving while taking a high volume of 3's. Which is cool. As far as Lance I am not sure he fits, while I normally don't mind headcases, Lance isn't one that looks like a fit. MKG also doesn't fit IMO.

We need a ball handler to build the future around but I'd rather wait and do it with a rookie or a SVG handpicked FA.

Not sure where you are getting your lineup info from, but it appears to be wrong. Waiters is in their 3rd most used lineup and 3 of the top 6 total.

2014-15 Cleveland Cavaliers Team Lineups | Basketball-Reference.com

And yes, Monroe veto's because of Bird rights. It severely limits where he can go as a free agent.

I have read several places that Bird rights transfer with a player when they are traded. Does this not apply to players who sign a one year deal as a restricted free agent?

I do wonder if Monroe's bird rights are going to help him as much as he thinks. He is not a max contract player. The good teams are going to go over the cap for the better free agents, not Monroe. The bad teams are likely to have the space to sign Monroe without needing to use his bird rights.

I have read several places that Bird rights transfer with a player when they are traded. Does this not apply to players who sign a one year deal as a restricted free agent?

It's signing a QO that kills Bird rights. NOt sure what objective that accomplishes in terms of why it's in the CBA that way, but it is.

It has to do with the qualifying offer being signed. If he had signed a normal 1 year deal and not the QO, he would still have his Bird rights after being traded. Its the reason some of us wanted him and the Pistons to work out a one year deal instead of the QO.

I do wonder if Monroe's bird rights are going to help him as much as he thinks. He is not a max contract player. The good teams are going to go over the cap for the better free agents, not Monroe. The bad teams are likely to have the space to sign Monroe without needing to use his bird rights.

His Bird rights have nothing to do with a max contract.

It has everything to do with cap space. Say the above Cleveland trade happened. Without Bird rights they need actual cap space to sign him this summer. Cleveland doesn't have cap space next summer, so the only thing they can do is use the MLE on him and that is a maximum of 4/$28M. Monroe is going to get a lot more than $7M a year on the open market.

The other problem with Cleveland is they couldn't sign-and-trade him next summer, because again they don't have the cap space. So Monroe would only be able to sign with the 13 or 14 teams who have the cap space to sign him. But if he stays with Detroit, they have his Bird rights and can go over the cap to sign him (nevermind theye have tons of cap space and wont need to do this). That means all 29 teams are in play for him because he can be signed-and-traded.

.... But if he stays with Detroit, they have his Bird rights and can go over the cap to sign him (nevermind theye have tons of cap space and wont need to do this). That means all 29 teams are in play for him because he can be signed-and-traded.

So ironically the bottom line is that in the end he can get a better deal for himself on a sign and trade sometime during this season than if walks away at the end of the season as a FA? Goofy CBA they have in the NBA.

So ironically the bottom line is that in the end he can get a better deal for himself on a sign and trade sometime during this season than if walks away at the end of the season as a FA? Goofy CBA they have in the NBA.

Well, the contract value won't change any. He will just have more teams to pick from. I guess that could drive the price up a bit though.

And the S&T cant happen during the year. It will have to be this summer.

And the S&T cant happen during the year. It will have to be this summer.

right, forgot that - that's another twist with the QO?

Not sure where you are getting your lineup info from, but it appears to be wrong. Waiters is in their 3rd most used lineup and 3 of the top 6 total.

2014-15 Cleveland Cavaliers Team Lineups | Basketball-Reference.com

And yes, Monroe veto's because of Bird rights. It severely limits where he can go as a free agent.

I was looking at nba.com but I don't doubt I was looking at it wrong.

Does Jerebko for Draymond Green make sense? Both guys are free agents and I don't think the Warriors will be afford to keep Green. Jerebko has more size for them to play the four position while still providing that outside shooting threat. Green would step in at small forward for the Pistons.

Just ran it on Trade Machine and it doesn't work salary wise but I would think something could be done with minimal dollars that are being exchanged. Jerebko is one of my favorite Piston players and I do not like that thought of giving him up but Green has a lot of nice things going for him as well.

Green is so much better than Jerebko. Even if they can't afford him, the are in win now mode and losing him would really hurt their chances this year.

I would fire a large chunk of that cap space at Green this summer.

Green is so much better than Jerebko. Even if they can't afford him, the are in win now mode and losing him would really hurt their chances this year.

I would fire a large chunk of that cap space at Green this summer.

I agree with all of this. Green's basketball IQ and skill set would be a great addition.

Green may cost $10 million per. That is steep for him but where else are we going to use our cap space? I think he would be willing to come home if the Pistons make a competitive offer.

Tobias Harris is another guy I am keeping an eye on. He will probably cost even more than Green but he can really score the basketball.

Green may cost $10 million per. That is steep for him but where else are we going to use our cap space? I think he would be willing to come home if the Pistons make a competitive offer.

Tobias Harris is another guy I am keeping an eye on. He will probably cost even more than Green but he can really score the basketball.

I wasn't that crazy about Green originally but have really come around on him.

He is smart with a high BBIQ. Shows leadership qualities. Can play SF or PF. Can probably guard 2-4 and possibly the 5 now and then. Is already a lock down wing defender who right now should be the favorite to win defensive player of the year, although it usually goes to some shot blocking big. Rebounds extremely well (13%) considering half of his minutes have been at SF this year.

Undersized at the PF position. At the SF spot I would like to see him keep his 3P% above 35%. But no player is perfect.

At $10M I bet GSW match since he is restricted. Be prepared to go something like 4/$50 for Green. Still a good chance they match at that price.

I wasn't that crazy about Green originally but have really come around on him.

He is smart with a high BBIQ. Shows leadership qualities. Can play SF or PF. Can probably guard 2-4 and possibly the 5 now and then. Is already a lock down wing defender who right now should be the favorite to win defensive player of the year, although it usually goes to some shot blocking big. Rebounds extremely well (13%) considering half of his minutes have been at SF this year.

Undersized at the PF position. At the SF spot I would like to see him keep his 3P% above 35%. But no player is perfect.

At $10M I bet GSW match since he is restricted. Be prepared to go something like 4/$50 for Green. Still a good chance they match at that price.

Haven't the Warriors always been reluctant to pay the luxury tax? If they went that high, I believe that would put them well over the luxury tax threshold unless they can move some salary.

They also got to think about a max contract here for Curry here in the near future and between Curry, Thompson, Iggy, and Green, that would be a heck of a lot of money tied up into your wing positions...unless they consider Green more of a four.

Haven't the Warriors always been reluctant to pay the luxury tax? If they went that high, I believe that would put them well over the luxury tax threshold unless they can move some salary.

They also got to think about a max contract here for Curry here in the near future and between Curry, Thompson, Iggy, and Green, that would be a heck of a lot of money tied up into your wing positions...unless they consider Green more of a four.

I agree they wont want to go over the luxury tax and it is a ton of money for their wings. I just think he might be too good to let him walk away if you can match a reasonable offer.

I imagine they try to move Iggy, but that won't be the easiest thing to do. They might just have to suck it up a year or two and pay the tax. If they don't want to pay him then maybe your Jerebko idea would work, if Detroit tosses in a 1st round pick. But I still think they would keep him to make a run this year.

I agree they wont want to go over the luxury tax and it is a ton of money for their wings. I just think he might be too good to let him walk away if you can match a reasonable offer.

I imagine they try to move Iggy, but that won't be the easiest thing to do. They might just have to suck it up a year or two and pay the tax. If they don't want to pay him then maybe your Jerebko idea would work, if Detroit tosses in a 1st round pick. But I still think they would keep him to make a run this year.

I am not giving up a first round pick for a guy who is a restricted free agent. I might be willing to go 4/$50 if what you say about his defense is true. Anymore than that is too much. Even though he is young, I don't think he is getting a lot better than what he is. And I wonder if there will be some drop off when he is not next to Curry and Thompson.

I am not giving up a first round pick for a guy who is a restricted free agent. I might be willing to go 4/$50 if what you say about his defense is true. Anymore than that is too much. Even though he is young, I don't think he is getting a lot better than what he is. And I wonder if there will be some drop off when he is not next to Curry and Thompson.

I think you give up the pick. You put all the required protection on it, top 10 this year, top 3 next year, top 1 the year after. But you make that deal.

Considering one dimensional players like Parsons and Hayward got max deals last year, Green is good value at $50M. He wont score like those two but he will play a much more well rounded game with his defense.

That gives them the elite perimeter defender (Green) and the elite paint defender if Drummond develops. And the makings of a really good perimeter guy coming off the bench in KCP.

Green is good value at $50M. He wont score like those two but he will play a much more well rounded game with his defense.

That gives them the elite perimeter defender (Green) and the elite paint defender if Drummond develops. And the makings of a really good perimeter guy coming off the bench in KCP.

Sign me up for some of this.

Any guesses what happens with Monroe and the 4 spot??

Sign me up for some of this.

Any guesses what happens with Monroe and the 4 spot??

I don't think its so far fetched he comes back, especially with Smith gone. I bet SVG would love him back as well. I think him and Drummond form a pretty formidable tandem on the blocks. Plus, SVG seems pretty set on the 1/4 system. If Monroe comes back you start him and Drummond, and tweak your sub pattern so you have one of Drummond and Monroe on the court surrounded by shooters for 48 minutes a night.

I don't track team salary commitment information, and honestly don't know where to begin to look, but how many teams realistically have a shot at signing Monroe based on the state of their cap?

I don't track team salary commitment information, and honestly don't know where to begin to look, but how many teams realistically have a shot at signing Monroe based on the state of their cap?

NBA Contract Index | Basketball-Reference.com

The projected cap is $66.5M which makes a max deal for Monroe start at $16.6M. That means a team would need to be under $49.9M this summer. So 10 teams if you take out Detroit.

A couple of warnings about that statement.

I don't know how accurate that link is without drilling down into each team. I'm not doing that but the Pistons number looks pretty good. But at the same time, I know for a fact the Pistons can get more space by cutting someone like Butler, since his $4.5M is not guaranteed next season.

I figured it with Monroe getting the max. Since guys like him have been getting around $12M a year the past two years, thats a more realistic number. If they do a Josh Smith type contract where all 4 years are equal dollar amounts, they obviously need $12M in cap space to sign him. If they do max (4.5%) raises each year, the first year salary starts smaller. They would need something around $10.7M or there about. And of course all of this changes if the cap goes up more/less than projected.

This is why Monroe wants to stay in Detroit all year and keep his Bird rights. If he does that, all 29 teams are now in play to sign him, assuming a team over the cap can work out a sign-and-trade with Detroit. And this really is the best option for both Monroe and the Pistons. Monroe gets to go to the team he wants and that team has to trade enough value to the Pistons so they agree to the S&T.