DaBishop

Fun with trades

So it's that time...trades are about to start happening. Here's my latest and greatest idea

Detroit gets:

Lance Stephenson

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Charlotte gets:

Monroe

Choice of Butler, Augustin, Jennings

Detroit gets:

Derrick Williams

Jason Thompson

2nd Round pick

Sacramento gets:

Josh Smith

Indiana wants Stephenson back but their current contract situation makes it pretty hard to do. I wonder if they would be interested in getting out from under the West contract.

Three team trade.

Indiana -> Stephenson

Charlotte -> Smith

Detroit -> West

Why for each team?

Indiana: They want Stephenson back.

Charlotte: As bad as Smith is, he is probably an upgrade over Zeller or whoever else they play at PF.

Detroit: Mostly to get away from Smith. Even though West has been hurt and not playing well this year, I think he would be pretty good off the bench for 20-25 minutes a night. He only makes a million less than Smith, but his deal is a year shorter. Possibly two years since he has a player option. But I doubt he uses it since nobody is going to give him $12.5M at 35 years old.

Like the Pistons are giving up Datome.

No kidding, why would you give up the beast for that no name clown.

Indiana wants Stephenson back but their current contract situation makes it pretty hard to do. I wonder if they would be interested in getting out from under the West contract.

Three team trade.

Indiana -> Stephenson

Charlotte -> Smith

Detroit -> West

Why for each team?

Indiana: They want Stephenson back.

Charlotte: As bad as Smith is, he is probably an upgrade over Zeller or whoever else they play at PF.

Detroit: Mostly to get away from Smith. Even though West has been hurt and not playing well this year, I think he would be pretty good off the bench for 20-25 minutes a night. He only makes a million less than Smith, but his deal is a year shorter. Possibly two years since he has a player option. But I doubt he uses it since nobody is going to give him $12.5M at 35 years old.

Not bad. Can't imagine the there is a bad trade that exists where we rid ourselves of Smith AND don't take on any more money.

Just out curiosity, what do you think we can get for Monroe? A low first round pick?

Not bad. Can't imagine the there is a bad trade that exists where we rid ourselves of Smith AND don't take on any more money.

Just out curiosity, what do you think we can get for Monroe? A low first round pick?

I don't think we will be able to trade him.

https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/544572056558645248

Teams calling Pistons about Greg Monroe get same answer: Monroe, who must approve trade, uninterested & wants to keep Bird rights, I'm told.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that no - trade with Moose.

Explain to me how keeping his Bird rights helps him? Doesn't he have to sign with us to have his rights?

Oh yeah. Forgot about that no - trade with Moose.

Explain to me how keeping his Bird rights helps him? Doesn't he have to sign with us to have his rights?

It puts all 30 teams in contention when he hits free agency via a sign-and-trade. A team who doesn't have cap space next summer and wants Monroe, will have to work out a sign-and-trade to land him.

Lets say he was traded to OKC and of course they wouldn't have his Bird rights. OKC has no cap space next summer, so they couldn't execute a sign-and-trade. At that point he would only be able to go to a team with the necessary cap space.

I honestly have no problem letting him walk. He's a good player but Joe D screwed us by signing Smith and that killed any chance of Moose staying here long-term. SVG was put in a terrible spot because really the only option was moving him in a S & T and it seems he didn't want to take back salary so they could have their maximum cap space this summer.

I'm hoping they trade Jennings. Smith will be a difficult sell on someone but it seems the Kings are even dumber than we are.

Looks like another piece of Joe's legacy is not maxing out Monroe two years ago like Sacramento did with Cousins. Man he did not make a whole lot of good decisions the last few years did he.

If SVG can get rid of Monroe, Smith and Jennings I would happy as a bug on a rug.

At this point, the two I would want to unload the quickest is Jennings and Monroe.

Monroe should ride it out and stay with us until the end of the year.

Jennings and Smith gotta go but it's easier said than done. I think SVG attempting to help them this year was about building trade value but I don't think it has worked.

The best chance to extract maximum value for Monroe is probably a sign-and-trade this summer. A team will be more willing to part with assets knowing he is locked up long term.

Do you think Monroe would allow a trade to a really good team that has a great chance to win the championship? For example, San Antonio with an aging Duncan where Monroe can take Duncan's place when he retires.

Do you think Monroe would allow a trade to a really good team that has a great chance to win the championship? For example, San Antonio with an aging Duncan where Monroe can take Duncan's place when he retires.

I feel the only way he allows a trade this year is if the team has the cap space to sign him this summer. And its a team he wants to sign with. If not, it limits him too much and he would be better off sticking with the Pistons.

The Spurs might have the cap space to sign him but it all depends on if Duncan/Ginobli/Parker are coming back or not. If all three come back they wont have the cap space. to sign Monroe.

Maybe we need to start Monroe to beef up his stats a little and get him a few extra minutes per game if we are looking to trade him in the offseason.

To clarify, I mean move Drummond to the bench. We have tried Drummond, Smith, and Monroe together and I don't believe that is going to improve Monroe's trade value at all.

So it's that time...trades are about to start happening. Here's my latest and greatest idea

Detroit gets:

Lance Stephenson

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Charlotte gets:

Monroe

Choice of Butler, Augustin, Jennings

Detroit gets:

Derrick Williams

Jason Thompson

2nd Round pick

Sacramento gets:

Josh Smith

I'd rather have Josh Smith than Lance Stephenson. Smith may be an idiot but he's not a clubhouse cancer like Stephenson.