roarintiger1

Are you satisfied with the Tiger's current team?

When Dombrowski says he disagrees with people who thinks the tigers system is bad do you think he's lying? Or just wrong?

I don't think any GM would say publicly that his team's system is bad.

The system is bad relative to other systems. That doesn't mean that there aren't players that have some value. It just means that if another team with an average system wanted to make the same deals, they could do so, and still have enough to make even more deals.

Let's not kid ourselves. The Tigers system is garbage (relatively speaking).

But let's also not kid ourselves and act like giving up a first round pick in the 20s is going to mean all that much 4 years from now.

I agree with all of this.

I've been reading about the terrible system for years now. I would think in the decisions you ponder when signing a guy to a contract of that size that losing a draft pick is low on the pecking orderm. This isnt the nfl or nba.

Dombrowski should be fired immediately if his thinking was "I wanted shields but was afraid of losing our draft pick". There are reasons to not want to sign as guy. Thats not a big one.

I think he's thinking more on the grounds of "is a 33 year old declining RHP worth a first round pick, when I already have a pretty good rotation"?

If you do it right, when you pull the plug you do it when you can move the vets for enough solid MILb talent that you have some hope to get out of the dumps in only a few years. Trick is not to run the vets until they are valueless like they did after 72.

Yes. Even worse, the '72 team was the '68 team, other than Brinkman and Rodriguez. Jim Campbell's lasting regret was "I let the '68 team get old".

Check this out...my goodness, are they old.

1972 Detroit Tigers Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Aurelio Rodriguez is the only position player under 29. At some point after '68 you'd have to think that a trade involving Dick McAuliffe or Jim Northrup would have brought some youth back.

Also - why in the heck wouldn't you trade Larry Herndon right after '84 and stick HoJo in left field in '85? This is the 30th anniversary of me wanting them to make that move.

Yes. Even worse, the '72 team was the '68 team, other than Brinkman and Rodriguez. Jim Campbell's lasting regret was "I let the '68 team get old".

Check this out...my goodness, are they old.

1972 Detroit Tigers Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Aurelio Rodriguez is the only position player under 29. At some point after '68 you'd have to think that a trade involving Dick McAuliffe or Jim Northrup would have brought some youth back.

Also - why in the heck wouldn't you trade Larry Herndon right after '84 and stick HoJo in left field in '85? This is the 30th anniversary of me wanting them to make that move.

I think Sparky caught HoJo with a J (or more likely a little spoon), and in his world in that day that was the end of that.

I don't know the circumstances but Sparky for some reason did not like or want HoJo.

I don't know the circumstances but Sparky for some reason did not like or want HoJo.

I always thought that it was just the bad glove at third, so left field would have seemed like a reasonable alternative.

No I do think there either was an incident or just a general displeasure with his attitude. I believe Gibson spoke to it too at one point.

IIRC....right around the time...a little before or a little after...that HoJo was traded Sparky made some comments about not wanting guys who (paraphrasing here) looked scared to compete when the game was on the line. It seemed like he was referring to Johnson at the time....

I think Anderson was the type of manager who was great with a veteran club because he knew how to handle egos, but I got the impression he was not very patient with young players. For example, I remember after they traded Rico Brogna, he said something like "I believe he's going to be a good hitter some day, but I don't want to wait to find out".

Edited by tiger337

I am pretty satisfied with the Tigers.

Most comments that I read say that Miguel Cabrera needs to bounce back to being what he can be. I really, really disagree with this as he was SECOND in runs batted in in the American League; THIRD in runs scored; and FIRST in 2-b hits. What more can be asked? I DON'T THINK THAT IT IS EVEN ARGUABLE THAT THE FIRST TWO STATS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT IN CONTRIBUTION TO A TEAM. And that he was able to accomplish the figures that he had while having a fairly low home run contribution in 2014 is incredible!

Mr. C. was able to knock in his teammates when they were in a scoring position, AND, he was on base ready to score a run when the next batter(s) came to the plate! A healthy Miguel Cabrera has every chance of exceeding these numbers in 2015.

I am also expecting a healthy Justin Verlander will put up some of the numbers that I believe he is still capable of.

I am pretty satisfied with the Tigers.

Most comments that I read say that Miguel Cabrera needs to bounce back to being what he can be. I really, really disagree with this as he was SECOND in runs batted in in the American League; THIRD in runs scored; and FIRST in 2-b hits. What more can be asked? I DON'T THINK THAT IT IS EVEN ARGUABLE THAT THE FIRST TWO STATS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT IN CONTRIBUTION TO A TEAM. And that he was able to accomplish the figures that he had while having a fairly low home run contribution in 2014 is incredible!

Mr. C. was able to knock in his teammates when they were in a scoring position, AND, he was on base ready to score a run when the next batter(s) came to the plate! A healthy Miguel Cabrera has every chance of exceeding these numbers in 2015.

I am also expecting a healthy Justin Verlander will put up some of the numbers that I believe he is still capable of.

Not even arguable?

Mostly satisfied also.

I hope Cabrera can be healthy. He isn't the same obviously. I used to love to watch him hit, now it's VMart that I enjoy.

I hope JD can have another year like he did. If he drops off a little, so be it. I just hope he doesn't pull a Orange Crush thing on us. Forgot his name. Outfielders aren't too hard to replace but his bat will be.

And I'd like a plan B for 3rd base if Nick continues his strike outs without home runs. And his not-so-great fielding.

Generally it's a really good roster and the better the roster the better the chances are of resigning Scherzy IMO.

I think we can all say that the Tigers system sucks because they gave up first rounders for free agents (losing 1st rounders then made more sense when the payoffs were larger; I don't think Shields, a 33 yo declining SP is worth the pick, but Fielder at the time and Victor were). I think we can all say that the Cubs have a ton of young talent that the Tigers will never catch up with. This dream world where the Tigers are going to win "this year" isn't getting it done. They are not the most complete team, not even with both Scherzer and Shields, imo. It isn't money spent wisely in my opinion. I think DD is doing it correctly this year. He wasn't going to do Porcello straight up for Cespedes, but when they threw in the reliever and the young arm; plus they had Simon on the way, it made the trade worth doing. I don't think the Tigers will sign Scherzer or Shields. I'm fine where they are at right now.

What "dream world" are you talking about? They have been to the playoffs 4 years in a row now....what more do you expect?

Shields is 33 yo but he's probably not declining. You see 3 years of reduced K rate and 33 yo and you automatically assume "decline". The reality is that the 1st of those 3 years was way above his career average, the second year was average, and the 3rd year was below average, so it's not a decline but swings around the norm....people made the same mistake looking at Granderson's OPS after 2009. Oops.

Not to mention you completely ignore the fact that his BB-rate went waaaay down and his velocity was stable, while all of his other peripherals remained at or better than career averages. But hey his K rate is below normal so he's declining. C'mon.

Mostly satisfied also.

I hope Cabrera can be healthy. He isn't the same obviously. I used to love to watch him hit, now it's VMart that I enjoy.

I hope JD can have another year like he did. If he drops off a little, so be it. I just hope he doesn't pull a Orange Crush thing on us. Forgot his name. Outfielders aren't too hard to replace but his bat will be.

And I'd like a plan B for 3rd base if Nick continues his strike outs without home runs. And his not-so-great fielding.

Generally it's a really good roster and the better the roster the better the chances are of resigning Scherzy IMO.

I'm glad you brought up plan b, because by looking at the Tigers 40 man, there really isn't a plan b, except for case of injury. In that case, I think they would either move Cabrera back to 3b or Hernan Perez. They really don't have a plan b in place, so Nick has to play well.

What "dream world" are you talking about? They have been to the playoffs 4 years in a row now....what more do you expect?

Shields is 33 yo but he's probably not declining. You see 3 years of reduced K rate and 33 yo and you automatically assume "decline". The reality is that the 1st of those 3 years was way above his career average, the second year was average, and the 3rd year was below average, so it's not a decline but swings around the norm....people made the same mistake looking at Granderson's OPS after 2009. Oops.

Not to mention you completely ignore the fact that his BB-rate went waaaay down and his velocity was stable, while all of his other peripherals remained at or better than career averages. But hey his K rate is below normal so he's declining. C'mon.

I think the Tigers are declining right now. They don't need declining players. I think Shields is a declining pitcher at his age.

I think the Tigers are declining right now. They don't need declining players. I think Shields is a declining pitcher at his age.

Winner...+1

I'm glad you brought up plan b, because by looking at the Tigers 40 man, there really isn't a plan b, except for case of injury. In that case, I think they would either move Cabrera back to 3b or Hernan Perez. They really don't have a plan b in place, so Nick has to play well.

That's the way I feel and that concerns me. We are supposed to in a win now mode.

That's the way I feel and that concerns me. We are supposed to in a win now mode.

"Win now mode" is just something fans and talk shows make up. The Tigers have supposedly been in win now mode since 2006. You know, because guys like Magglio and Guillen were getting old and the team was only going to be good for a couple years.

How Much Can Nick Castellanos Improve? | FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball

The reason is that Castellanos was one of the best hitters in baseball this year in terms of squaring the ball up. Among 146 qualified hitters, Castellanos had the second highest line drive rate (28.5%) and the 12th lowest infield fly ball percentage (2.1%). There were only four other qualified hitters with a line drive rate higher than 25% and an IFFB% lower than 3%. All four of those hitters had a BABIP between .342 and .351. You could pretty easily make the argument that Castellanos’ BABIP was actually unlucky.

"Win now mode" is just something fans and talk shows make up. The Tigers have supposedly been in win now mode since 2006. You know, because guys like Magglio and Guillen were getting old and the team was only going to be good for a couple years.

Thought it also had to do with the contracts we've been signing players to.

Can we sustain all of these huge contracts over years if we are not winning and don't have all the fans showing up?

Also, weren't the A's in that mode and then are retooling now? BoSox?

Thought it also had to do with the contracts we've been signing players to.

Can we sustain all of these huge contracts over years if we are not winning and don't have all the fans showing up?

But it's all speculation. It's highly possible they remain competitive for the next 5+ years and can still maintain this payroll. Plus I think they have a new cable contract coming up, if I'm not mistaken. You can also trade some of the heftier contracts for younger players ready to step in like Boston did. The Tigers are always re-tooling anyhow. Cabrera, Victor, and Avila are the only starters left from the starting lineup in '13. It doesn't take long to re-tool. Fielder, Infante, Peralta, Hunter, Jackson, Dirks, all gone.

At any rate, "win now mode" isn't a thing until there's some evidence that they're going to cut payroll, and right now it's highly unlikely anytime soon.

Edited by Yoda

But it's all speculation. It's highly possible they remain competitive for the next 5+ years and can still maintain this payroll. Plus I think they have a new cable contract coming up, if I'm not mistaken. You can also trade some of the heftier contracts for younger players ready to step in like Boston did. The Tigers are always re-tooling anyhow. Cabrera, Victor, and Avila are the only starters left from the starting lineup in '13. It doesn't take long to re-tool.

At any rate, "win now mode" isn't a thing until there's some evidence that they're going to cut payroll, and right now it's highly unlikely anytime soon.

All good points.

I read the same about cable contract.

I guess I read too much into the win now for Mr I speculation. I'm concerned if he isn't the owner years to come that payroll will shrink significantly.