Yoda

Porcello traded for Cespedes

I think it is just as easy to find a right fielder with a 750 ops as it is a starting pitcher who throws 200 innings with a mid 3s era.

Normally that would be true, but there seems to be more pitchers available this year. I'm not a big fan of the trade, but it could make a lot more sense shortly.

If he deserves, we would extend a qo to Cespedes and get that pick if he leaves anyways.

I'm coming around on this trade actually. Porcello is going to be somewhat of a Binary season. Either he will tear it up in 2015 and demand a $20M a year contract right alongside David Price or he will suck and the trade will work in the Tiger's favor anyways.

His contract prevents a qo

why would the pick be in the mid 30s?

I think it is just as easy to find a right fielder with a 750 ops as it is a starting pitcher who throws 200 innings with a mid 3s era.

Because that is where QO picks are.

Last year's QO picks were 28-34, and they are slotted based on record. I expect the Tigers to have one of the best records of teams that lose QO players, so they would be near the bottom of that range had they kept Porcello and let him walk.

Both Valverde and Jones struggled at the end.

Valverde was pretty good with his original contract. He shouldn't have been brought back in 2013. He was still 35 for 40 in Dave's his final year.

Apparently Cespedes has a clause in his contact where he can't be extended a qualifying offer.

Wow. Didn't know that since I thought he signed with Oakland before the current QO system existed.

He was one of my favorites as well. This is the second straight year they traded a favorite pitcher of mine. This time they actually got a fair return though.

Mine too. I am disappointed.

I don't disagree but I was addressing a post that claims he doesn't care and more specifically I am interested what moves DD should make this off-season to address the bullpen.

I'm not sure throwing more money into is the way I would go.

I'm sure he cares. It just feels like it's an after-thought for him, to me.

I would've been interested in Neshek or Gregerson. I would've been interested in Duke. I'd still be interested in a number of guys out there, none of which we have been connected to. And I can't understand why you wouldn't at least poke your head in and check on Andrew Miller.

More recently, I'd like them to keep Alex Wilson. That'd be nice. I'd be happy with a freaking middle reliever. In fact, I think that's what they need (while I think Nathan is done, I'm happy with the idea of Soria stepping in) a few of.

Valverde was pretty good with his original contract. He shouldn't have been brought back in 2013. He was still 35 for 40 in Dave's his final year.

Save percentage is a lousy way to evaluate any pitcher and 35 for 40 isn't that good anyway.

EDIT: Nathan was 35 for 42 this season, for example.

With the talk of Porcello building a home in Vermont and wanting to play for Boston, what are the chances he signs with Detroit anyways?

I suspect this could be more of a factor than most suspect.

This trade has Illich written all over it, because it seemed DD was always really partial to Porcello. Never thought he would trade Rick.

My heart hates the deal, but as TP put it, the trade makes the lineup more formidable. I hope hitting on front of Cabby will unlock some of that buried Cespedes potential. Moreso, it makes the OF above-average defensively.

One question--does this make Davis trade fodder?

Cespedes should not bat in front of Cabrera. He should bat 6th or 7th.

And Davis is not trade fodder. He will platoon CF and spell Martinez periodically + pinch run and be a defensive replacement for JD.

Good value for a bench player.

No it gives you the Davis/Gose baserunner off the Bench. And Davis can play multiple OF spots so becomes a good 3.5/4 OF.

Todd Jones and Valverde paid off well. Detroit has been very successful with closers despite the fans outcry. Only Nathan had struggled.

jones and valverde both struggled after initial periods of success.

smyly and benoit were good additions...but we all know how that turned out.

dombrowski's inability to create a solid bullpen and his manager's inability to properly manage his bullpen is one of the biggest reasons the tigers have failed in the playoffs, imo.

and then there's his ability to draft and develop cheap bullpen arms....

This trade has Illich written all over it, because it seemed DD was always really partial to Porcello. Never thought he would trade Rick.

My heart hates the deal, but as TP put it, the trade makes the lineup more formidable. I hope hitting on front of Cabby will unlock some of that buried Cespedes potential. Moreso, it makes the OF above-average defensively.

I sure hope not. Keep Davis for platoon with Gose, and for the bench. The bench is another thing Dombrowski neglects.

Here's my problem with the Tigers lineup, you have an (if healthy) awesome 3-4-5 power combination. And they have ZERO players on the roster who get on base at an even average clip to bat in front of them.

Who is batting 1st and 2nd this year? Even Kinsler only had a .307 OBP last year...

I sure hope not. Keep Davis for platoon with Gose, and for the bench. The bench is another thing Dombrowski neglects.

Is having it as a low priority equivalent to neglecting?

I have hated his bench construction pretty much all of the time the last 10 years, but the reality is the bench doesn't matter than much.

Why would batting in front of cabrera help? Cespedes is not going to see more strikes because he's hitting in front of cabrera because he swings at anything. There is no reason to throw him a strike because there is no fear he will ever take a walk.

he should be hitting lower in the lineup to make better use of his power. Someone who can get on base should be hitting ahead of cabrera.

Here's my problem with the Tigers lineup, you have an (if healthy) awesome 3-4-5 power combination. And they have ZERO players on the roster who get on base at an even average clip to bat in front of them.

Who is batting 1st and 2nd this year? Even Kinsler only had a .307 OBP last year...

I think Cespedes will bat second because he'll be a better hitter with Cabrera in back of him...Either that or Gose will lead off because he's fast.

I think Cespedes will bat second because he'll be a better hitter with Cabrera in back of him...Either that or Gose will lead off because he's fast.

I hate you :-|

It's a fair trade, but mostly a lateral move until they acquire another SP. It does help get full value out of a Gose and Davis platoon in CF, so that is a side benefit.

Cespedes and Porcello are pretty equivalent players and then the two minor leaguers offset a mid 30's draft pick.

I'd have a platoon of Avila/McCann and bat 2nd. I'd have the Gose/Davis platoon lead-off.

EDIT: I expect this will never happen. Nor will batting Miguel 2nd happen.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Is having it as a low priority equivalent to neglecting?

I have hated his bench construction pretty much all of the time the last 10 years, but the reality is the bench doesn't matter than much.

Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry.

The bench doesn't matter -that- much, but the end of the 1-2 loss to Baltimore that wrapped up the season was a fine reminder that it CAN make a difference.