DetroitCity313

2015 Detroit Pistons Lottery Thread

I know how much you hate point guards that don't shoot 3s well, so I shouldn't waste my breath here.

But 6'5+ point guards with upside to leading the league in steals and top-10 in assists don't grow on trees. His turnovers and shot selection issues were magnified in Tankadelphia due to playing with about the worst supporting cast I've seen in awhile. Not sure why he's left for dead at 23 with 15.7/6.5/5.8/1.8 career averages, dude is at least a Sixth Man of the Year type of bench player going forward in the right environment and at best a fringe AS if he learns to shoot and take care of the rock a little better. His turnovers declined quite a bit after the trade and his FG% went up similarly.

I'm fine with a PG who cant shoot.

But the current state of the game almost demands your PG be able to shoot a three. And Jackson needs to be > 33% not 30% :)

And Jackson needs to be > 33% not 30% :)

33.7% in a Pistons uni, almost identical percentage the entire year before.

Neither Mudiay or Jackson excels off ball. Its part of why Jackson wanted out of OKC

How do we know this toddler, who hasn't played a minute of NCAA or NBA ball, won't be able to contribute without the ball?

Jackson wanted to start and rightfully so. Westbrook's 38.37 usage rate last season was 2nd all-time--higher than any year from Jordan, Iverson, Wade, Anthony or McGrady. Only Kobe's 38.74 in '06 was higher. What playmaking guard would ever want to play alongside him with a coach like Brooks? No thanks.

I imagine we discussed Batum with Portland but we just don't have the assets. This draft pick is important as is our FA $$$. The only assets we really had got us Ersan

Who does everyone want?

1. Trade down with OKC for the 13th pick/PJ3/Lamb in exchange for the 8th pick. Maybe throw in Tolliver to get their 2nd rounder if necessary. Draft Turner, Kaminsky or Portis. Package the two second rounders to the Celtics to draft Anthony Brown at 28.

2. Trade Meeks for a rotation big that can play center (McGary or someone who is in a logjam like that), Draft Booker at 8.

3. Offer to draft WCS for Indy/PHX/CHA and see what they will trade us in return along with their slot. Would love it to be PHX with Goodwin coming back to us with slot. Select Turner or Johnson depending on who we deal with.

4. Draft Turner and go HAM for Middleton in FA.

5. Flip a coin between Johnson and Dekker, drink as much of a bottle of aged bourbon as you can in one sitting. If you finish it, start prank calling Dave Checketts.

6. Draft Mario because Arn offers to buy me my favorite case of aged bourbon.

I imagine we discussed Batum with Portland but we just don't have the assets. This draft pick is important as is our FA $$$. The only assets we really had got us Ersan

Batum is perfect if he's 100% again, but with Matthews coming back from a complete Achilles it is hard to imagine dealing Batum unless they are just content to have a reload year . . . which seems entirely possible.

You are right about the draft, which is why I would love to hedge by trading down and getting more assets. It will be interesting to see if BJ's contract comes into play on the market this summer. Scary but exciting time.

1. Trade down with OKC for the 13th pick/PJ3/Lamb in exchange for the 8th pick. Maybe throw in Tolliver to get their 2nd rounder if necessary. Draft Turner, Kaminsky or Portis. Package the two second rounders to the Celtics to draft Anthony Brown at 28.

Those players on OKC have no value. They supposedly just traded Lamb for a non guaranteed contract actually. Straight salary dump. Those draft slots are more valuable than that.

Pistons need to do whatever it takes to move up for Russell. He's going to be the next superstar in this league.

Those players on OKC have no value. They supposedly just traded Lamb for a non guaranteed contract actually. Straight salary dump. Those draft slots are more valuable than that.

LOL OKC for letting Brooks mismanage that team for so long.

Pistons need to do whatever it takes to move up for Russell. He's going to be the next superstar in this league.

I agree.

This morning on NBA radio I heard (I think it was Jay Bilas guest appearing) that word is LA may take Russell. He mentioned the possibility of this being part of a deal to get Cousins since LA is in "win now" mode with Kobe on his last leg, but it also could just be due to the way the NBA is moving away from the big man. Either way, that pick would certainly create some interesting questions. Does Philly take Okafor with the 3rd pick when they already have Noel and Embiid on the roster? If not, the Knicks are sure to take Okafor, but what does that do to the market for Monroe who many think are a lock to go to NY?

It's also interesting to see these two impatient franchises high in the lottery. LA is impatient due to Kobe's closing window and the fact that they can probably build more easily with established NBA players than any other team in the league. NY because they've been bad for a while now, Carmelo is getting older, Jackson has stated that he's only staying on long enough to right the ship, and they have a vocally impatient fan base. I think the potential for high lottery trades is probably higher than usual this year as these two teams are looking more at 2016 than 2019.

I also think you're going to see someone jump on Justise early. The news on him is surprisingly quiet compared to the other names everyone is talking about lately (Okafor, Russell, Mudiay, Porzingis) and that tells me there are probably a lot of teams keeping quiet or hyping other players in the hopes that he drops a spot or two. I think it's far more likely he goes off the board between 3 and 5 rather than the 5 to 8 I'm seeing on most mocks. In fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if Philly or NY grab him without hesitation. The appeal of getting a Jimmy Butler without having to try to pry him away from Chicago is just too good for teams to pass up.

Yes, I'm overly excited about the draft tonight.

This morning on NBA radio I heard (I think it was Jay Bilas guest appearing) that word is LA may take Russell. He mentioned the possibility of this being part of a deal to get Cousins since LA is in "win now" mode with Kobe on his last leg, but it also could just be due to the way the NBA is moving away from the big man. Either way, that pick would certainly create some interesting questions. Does Philly take Okafor with the 3rd pick when they already have Noel and Embiid on the roster? If not, the Knicks are sure to take Okafor, but what does that do to the market for Monroe who many think are a lock to go to NY?

It's also interesting to see these two impatient franchises high in the lottery. LA is impatient due to Kobe's closing window and the fact that they can probably build more easily with established NBA players than any other team in the league. NY because they've been bad for a while now, Carmelo is getting older, Jackson has stated that he's only staying on long enough to right the ship, and they have a vocally impatient fan base. I think the potential for high lottery trades is probably higher than usual this year as these two teams are looking more at 2016 than 2019.

I also think you're going to see someone jump on Justise early. The news on him is surprisingly quiet compared to the other names everyone is talking about lately (Okafor, Russell, Mudiay, Porzingis) and that tells me there are probably a lot of teams keeping quiet or hyping other players in the hopes that he drops a spot or two. I think it's far more likely he goes off the board between 3 and 5 rather than the 5 to 8 I'm seeing on most mocks. In fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if Philly or NY grab him without hesitation. The appeal of getting a Jimmy Butler without having to try to pry him away from Chicago is just too good for teams to pass up.

If the lakers consider themselves contenders because of kobe bryant they are fooling themsleves.

Its going to be a fun draft to watch. I really think Russell is who LA should take. Have a feeling there will be some major movement tonight.

If the lakers consider themselves contenders because of kobe bryant they are fooling themsleves.

The #1 thing they need to do this offseason is accept that they will not make the playoffs this year

The #1 thing they need to do this offseason is accept that they will not make the playoffs this year

C'mon, it's LA we're talking about here. They will make trades, get free agents, and find themselves back in the playoffs very quickly. Their fans are spoiled for a reason and I don't see that changing anytime soon. If not Cousins, it'll be someone else. They've only got a few (maybe) good years of Kobe left and they're paying him a ton of cash, so they'll be looking for a way to turn things around quickly and seeing as how it's LA I'm pretty confident they'll make that happen.

They're just not good players.

They have a chance to be useful players in the L, I don't think I ever said either would be on an All-NBA team. But hey, if you think Brooks did a good job managing that roster (Del also thinks OKC doesn't have talent, something we went back and forth about months ago) then we definitely have little else to talk about on this subject.

The Pistons need players with athletic talent and scoring/shooting ability from the wings, PJIII and Lamb provide some of that and are certainly worth a look on the cheap. Durant himself called PJIII the most talented athlete on OKC in the past. It appears Lamb is being moved so this is one-half of a dead issue.

C'mon, it's LA we're talking about here. They will make trades, get free agents, and find themselves back in the playoffs very quickly. Their fans are spoiled for a reason and I don't see that changing anytime soon. If not Cousins, it'll be someone else. They've only got a few (maybe) good years of Kobe left and they're paying him a ton of cash, so they'll be looking for a way to turn things around quickly and seeing as how it's LA I'm pretty confident they'll make that happen.

Agree with this. I still can't believe Sac would deal Cousins.

So Arn Tellem is still an agent until August 1st and he still represents Hezonja. Reports are coming out that Hezonja's camp is trying to discourage 1-7 from taking him so he can fall to the Pistons.

I want the guy and it helps my team. But that is a huge conflict of interest.