DetroitCity313

2015 Detroit Pistons Lottery Thread

Gotta love the rumor train this time of year, anything really can happen.

That said, you have to wonder if SVG wouldn't just draft Mudiay to push KCP to SF in a move to not overspend at that position. This would give him money to sign a quality backup big like Kufos. A rotation player/10th man in the 2nd round would be nice as well.

Mudiay would make the phones ring, though. A lot.

Chad Ford has us taking Dekker now at 8. Why wouldn't we move down to draft him if we really want him?

The Celts want to move up bad and I think he's there at 16. Draft Lyles or Portis if he isn't. Then draft Anthony Brown/Upshaw/Frazier with the Celt's other first rounder and then our second rounder. Brown and Frazier can shoot probably shoot with anyone in this draft.

If you are looking to trade down, you want to make sure teams know you like all the players.

I dislike most of these toddlers, but come draft day SVG better be the next coming of Kurt Russell's character in Used Cars.

Rebounding is definitely a craft, one that young players usually aren't great at in the NBA. Drummond is a generational outlier. Remember how much people dogged Ewing for not dominating the boards when the came into the L? Being around Drummond and probably Hakeem will do nothing but help him. But yeah, he'll still grab a few more rebounds per 36 than Ersan.

Winslow is 6'4.5 in shoes. I know, that wing span though . . . but still, is that long enough for a starting NBA SF? And wasn't Winslow the 3rd option on his own team? I just have some doubts, although as a prospect I like him better than most other SF in this draft.

Mario plays a little stiff, is light in the rear and need seasoning. If we could bring him off the bench for at least a year it would be worth the gamble, and who knows, maybe it is anyways. Will he even be there when we draft?

Johnson, as you have noted previously, wasn't overly impressive in conference play. How will he look when he is a semi-common size per NBA SFs? Will he shoot well enough from deep to keep defenses honsest? If he doesn't, are we ok with him being our defensive stopper? I see shades of a young Artest in him, which is a good thing. Johnson says he played PG at his HS powerhouse, if that means he can be some kind of secondary facilitator down the road then that's awesome--because the Pistons are bankrupt of these.

And yeah, LOL at Ourbe sometimes on the court. He is just so raw, but then you see those moments of brilliance and want to forget. Let's just hope Pop doesn't somehow get ahold of this kid.

Winslow is 6'6.5" in shoes, 6'4.5' without.

That would take a lot of guts.

I still disagree. It would take guts not to do it IMO. It would be interesting to see what trade offers we got though. I can't see NY,Sacto and Denver all passing though anyways. I'd argue its more likely he goes 2 than 8

For a while now my gut has been saying that's who we will take. I'm with you in the yuck camp though lol.

That would take a lot of guts.

And a lot of stupidity. Jackson is on the verge of being a star in this league. Mudiay is far from a sure thing.

Not sure why Johnson would be yuck. He might not have the high end upside of somebody like Turner or WCS even, but I can see him step in right away and be a solid contributor.

He could wind up being a Draymond Green type for us if he reaches his potential, they have a fairly similar style of play/personality. Very hard worker and high character kid.

He does need to work on his outside shot and finishing ability at the rim but those things are fixable.

Edited by NYLion

Winslow is 6'6.5" in shoes, 6'4.5' without.

Sorry for the mistyped info, was what I meant. That's what I get for trying to bang out a response when juggling ten things.

I still disagree. It would take guts not to do it IMO. It would be interesting to see what trade offers we got though. I can't see NY,Sacto and Denver all passing though anyways. I'd argue its more likely he goes 2 than 8

For a while now my gut has been saying that's who we will take. I'm with you in the yuck camp though lol.

I wouldn't take guts to draft him. A talent like that slips to #8 you snap him up without thinking about.

The gutsy part would be moving Jackson and going with Mudiay/Jennings/Dinwiddie. Two guys with a combined 30 games in the NBA and another coming off a terrible injury.

I wouldn't take guts to draft him. A talent like that slips to #8 you snap him up without thinking about.

The gutsy part would be moving Jackson and going with Mudiay/Jennings/Dinwiddie. Two guys with a combined 30 games in the NBA and another coming off a terrible injury.

Yah, I honestly don't know what happens with Jackson in that situation. I wouldn't call a sign and trade impossible or even keeping both guys(highly unlikely I'd imagine,but a lot of people think 2 PGs is the future)

These days though, I'm not as afraid to go with the freaky talented rookie PG as I might have been a decade ago. It just feels so common place for them to come in and have an impact early. It would suck to lose a 2nd asset this summer for no value though.

And a lot of stupidity. Jackson is on the verge of being a star in this league. Mudiay is far from a sure thing.

Not sure why Johnson would be yuck. He might not have the high end upside of somebody like Turner or WCS even, but I can see him step in right away and be a solid contributor.

He could wind up being a Draymond Green type for us if he reaches his potential, they have a fairly similar style of play/personality. Very hard worker and high character kid.

He does need to work on his outside shot and finishing ability at the rim but those things are fixable.

Like I said before, I mean yuck compared to others they could potentially draft.

I don't think Johnson is the next bust on his way to a league in the Philippines. I think he probably has a decent NBA career, I just like other people more.

Same here on Johnson. I just don't buy him as a shooter. Draymond GReen isn't a comparison I can get behind either. Maybe defensively, but Draymond has very good ball skills and always has.

Same here on Johnson. I just don't buy him as a shooter. Draymond GReen isn't a comparison I can get behind either. Maybe defensively, but Draymond has very good ball skills and always has.

He's a better shooter than Green was at the same age and Johnson's ball skills are pretty underrated.

Where I see the comparison is with their intensity on both ends of the court, high basketball IQ and a real team player.

I would agree that there are some higher upside picks available but they are also higher risk. I'm not saying that Johnson would be the ideal choice but I'd be absolutely fine with the pick especially with SVG seemingly looking to load up on one dimensional shooters. A strong 2 way player with a very strong work ethic would be welcome.

Admittedly, I have a bias towards these types of versatile, team first players.

Turner protecting the rim is really appealing to me.

If Winslow & Hezonja are gone.. he's the guy I want.

And not just for the rim protection... he's a good shooter too.

This should make you happy. Draft week news is all smoke and mirrors. It probably means Johnson isn't even on the draft board :ninja:

I still like Johnson quite a bit, but I understand the feeling on this board that his ceiling is not as high as some of the other prospects. At this point I'm happy with Johnson or Turner (no way Justise falls to us no matter what the mocks say). Hezonja still doesn't really appeal much to me, although I know most others on this board love him.

I'm mostly interested to see what Stan does and what his tendencies are. There's probably an outside chance we reach a bit for Booker and let him come along behind KCP and Meeks. Stan values shooting and our two SGs are only on 2 years deals, which would be right about the time Booker starts to be productive. Or, it could be that he moves one of the those two as part of another deal. I'd be ok with the pick, but I'll be curious to see how Stan addresses the huge hole at SF with trades and free agents.

If you think about it, the odds of any draft pick becoming a starter or key player on your team year one are pretty slim. So, it might be better that we go after a SG (Booker) or PF (Turner) and let them develop behind the guys we already know will be starters on day 1 (KCP, Ilyasova), but may not be the building blocks of a contending core.

A lot of articles and chatter about the Knicks taking Winslow at #4 if the big three (Towns, Okafor, and Russell) are off the board. Could be true, but I'm guessing it's more likely they're threatening teams in the 5-8 range to see if they can get someone to bite on trading up.

A lot of articles and chatter about the Knicks taking Winslow at #4 if the big three (Towns, Okafor, and Russell) are off the board. Could be true, but I'm guessing it's more likely they're threatening teams in the 5-8 range to see if they can get someone to bite on trading up.

SVG will give them Jennings and #8 for #4.

Bucks may move Michael Carter-Williams in a trade

I don't want MCW. But I might take #17, Henson, and the Clippers pick next year for #8.

You get your backup C in Henson, and he is a legit rim protector. Then at 17 you might have a shot at Oubre/Lyles/Dekker. Plus a pick next year, even though it will be in the late 20's.

I only do it if Mario/Winslow are gone at #8 and I still probably take Turner instead of the trade. But its worth thinking about.

SVG will give them Jennings and #8 for #4.

SVG would take that deal in a heartbeat, but I'm pretty sure they'd want a lot more. Prices are high in this draft. They'd probably want a future first rounder added to that.