DetroitCity313

2015 Detroit Pistons Lottery Thread

True. Who could forget andreas glyniadakis?

I knew I could count on you to get my Glyniadakis reference.

This sudden Porzingis hype is giving me deja vu of a certain European from the 2003 Draft.

Especially with Ford being the conductor on the hype train, again.

Here are some more lengthy videos of the workout.

DraftExpress: ASM Workout Outtakes: Kristaps Porzingis Dunks/Jumpers/Post-Moves

I like it because I don't want him. So him going ahead of us pushes someone else down to us that I like.

This sudden Porzingis hype is giving me deja vu of a certain European from the 2003 Draft.

I think Dirk was drafted before 2003 actually

The elevation and form Porzingis gets on his jumper reminds me of Durant. Unfortunately, nothing else about him reminds me of Durant.

Sam Bowie was NOT a bust. He had injuries that he worked his *** off to overcome and he was a solid NBA center for a number of years. The man could have cashed his checks and gone home, but he worked through a shot ton of agony and had some success. Drives me nuts when I see people call him a "bust".

Sam Bowie was NOT a bust. He had injuries that he worked his *** off to overcome and he was a solid NBA center for a number of years. The man could have cashed his checks and gone home, but he worked through a shot ton of agony and had some success. Drives me nuts when I see people call him a "bust".

Me too. Bust is a bad word to attach to a player who is badly injured. When people call Bobby Hurley a bust, I set aside how much I despised him in college and think about how much it must suck to have your abdomen sliced open and see your intestines hanging out after a career-ending car accident.

Bust is relative to where you are drafted

Sam Bowie is what you get when you pick for need.

Portland had Drexler and Paxson already so they passed on Jordan for Bowie. You know the rest.

Drexler was as close to a championship player without a championship (not counting his 'ship as a support player) as you can get. Passing on Jordan is something 95% of all people who have ever existed, including NBA masterminds, would have done.

You have an All-Star in the true sense at one position heading into his prime, you don't draft his position, you should find supporting players. That's a pretty sound rule. Portland never found a top 50 player to support Clyde and Clyde dragged Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey (RIP) Buck Williams and a Nephilim into B2B Finals. Clyde could have beaten Jordan with the roles reversed, Clyde in Chicago w/ Phil and Pippen and with Jordan on Portland with Kevin "Duckey" Duckworth and perpetual bridesmaid Rick Adleman. No one is ever going to put a ring on Adleman's finger.

Drexler was as close to a championship player without a championship (not counting his 'ship as a support player) as you can get. Passing on Jordan is something 95% of all people who have ever existed, including NBA masterminds, would have done.

/QUOTE]

Funny you mention this, as I always thought Drexler was always a natural SF and could have thrived next to Jordan in Portland. When Orlando drafted Webber and then traded him for Penny plus a handful of future first-rounders, I really felt it was a similar scenario. How would anyone have stopped a Shaq/Webber combo? Penny was a great player for Orlando and the Magic were a lot of fun to watch, but I definitely know what direction I would have gone. Just for fun, check out the players Orlando got with those future picks . . .

Bust is relative to where you are drafted

If Jordan gets hit by a bus in 1988, was he a bust?

Bust doesn't seem to a well defined term. Is the pick the 'bust' or the player the 'bust'? Is it a player who does not perform, or just a pick that made sense that turned out bad because the player gets hurt - or both?

/QUOTE]

Funny you mention this, as I always thought Drexler was always a natural SF and could have thrived next to Jordan in Portland. When Orlando drafted Webber and then traded him for Penny plus a handful of future first-rounders, I really felt it was a similar scenario. How would anyone have stopped a Shaq/Webber combo? Penny was a great player for Orlando and the Magic were a lot of fun to watch, but I definitely know what direction I would have gone. Just for fun, check out the players Orlando got with those future picks . . .

Penny took a barely .500 team to a 50 win team his rookie year, then took them to the NBA finals his sophomore year. If Penny didn't get injured and Orlando didn't botch the 3 first rounders that could have been one of the best trades of all time.

Penny took a barely .500 team to a 50 win team his rookie year, then took them to the NBA finals his sophomore year. If Penny didn't get injured and Orlando didn't botch the 3 first rounders that could have been one of the best trades of all time.

Penny took that team to 50 wins as a rookie, and then to the NBA Finals? It sure sounds like you left a lot out of that statement. You do realize that Shaq averaged MVP numbers both of those years--29.3/12.4/2.6--right? And that Nick Anderson was coming into his own as a defensive stopper and put up like 15.5/4/4 and turned in a 41.5% 3pt performance the second of those years. And Dennis Scott was one of the best 3pt shooters in the league by then. But hey, it was all Penny--right? And Webber's 20/10/2 slash wouldn't have helped at all, right?

Please don't make it sound like Penny had nothing to work with, he walked into a team that had the L's ROY/best center in the EC and two of its best young wings. Oh, and Skiles who had finally turned into a quality pg. Drafting a guard took minutes away from Anderson--who had averaged 19.9 PTS the previous two seasons--and Scott, who was averaging 15.9 and 40% from 3pt. This was a team everyone knew was going to be great with someone besides Tom Tolbert and Jeff Turner starting next to Shaq.

Orlando did botch the first rounders because they were terrible at drafting outside of the lottery. And Penny's story is sad for sure, and was replayed again years later by Grant Hill--Magic fans will cry you a river over that. But the fact of the matter is that Orlando had a chance to put the two of the most talented bigs I have ever seen side-by-side but they gambled instead. Scott Skiles averaged 15.4/9.4 the year before they drafted Penny, so it isn't like the team was in dire need of a point guard. Were they in dire need of a second star to pair with Shaq? Yup, but it didn't have to be Penny. At that time, Webber was projected as possibly the best PF prospect of all-time. Of course, Webber never claimed that throne. Would he have if he would have been guarded by the opposing team's 2nd best big every night instead of its best? If he wouldn't have had to be the best player on the team, a pressure we all know he never handled all that great?

Especially with Ford being the conductor on the hype train, again.

Here are some more lengthy videos of the workout.

DraftExpress: ASM Workout Outtakes: Kristaps Porzingis Dunks/Jumpers/Post-Moves

I like it because I don't want him. So him going ahead of us pushes someone else down to us that I like.

I think for quite awhile Porzingas was slated to go in the top 7. He's been called 5th best for awhile, so him rising further up only cements that.

I think the real key for us is WCS going in the top 7. If he does, that means one of Winslow or Porzingas falls to us. And I have a major desire to draft Hezonja... I wanna deadly-from-anywhere shooter on our team in a big way...

It also means that opens up the most possibilities for us (I think) for trade-down opportunities if SVG wants to go in another direction.

Penny took that team to 50 wins as a rookie, and then to the NBA Finals? It sure sounds like you left a lot out of that statement. You do realize that Shaq averaged MVP numbers both of those years--29.3/12.4/2.6--right? And that Nick Anderson was coming into his own as a defensive stopper and put up like 15.5/4/4 and turned in a 41.5% 3pt performance the second of those years. And Dennis Scott was one of the best 3pt shooters in the league by then. But hey, it was all Penny--right? And Webber's 20/10/2 slash wouldn't have helped at all, right?

Please don't make it sound like Penny had nothing to work with, he walked into a team that had the L's ROY/best center in the EC and two of its best young wings. Oh, and Skiles who had finally turned into a quality pg. Drafting a guard took minutes away from Anderson--who had averaged 19.9 PTS the previous two seasons--and Scott, who was averaging 15.9 and 40% from 3pt. This was a team everyone knew was going to be great with someone besides Tom Tolbert and Jeff Turner starting next to Shaq.

Well there's that.....

I think for quite awhile Porzingas was slated to go in the top 7. He's been called 5th best for awhile, so him rising further up only cements that.

I think the real key for us is WCS going in the top 7. If he does, that means one of Winslow or Porzingas falls to us. And I have a major desire to draft Hezonja... I wanna deadly-from-anywhere shooter on our team in a big way...

It also means that opens up the most possibilities for us (I think) for trade-down opportunities if SVG wants to go in another direction.

Go look at his mock history on DraftExpress. He has consistently been 9th or 8th since February. Only jumping to the top 3 four days ago.

DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Kristaps Porzingis, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

If say, the Kings went Winslow and Denver went Hezonja, Boston would likely be calling for WCS . They have 16, 28,33 and a handful of extra future 1st rounders. They might be able to put an offer on the table that would pique our interest.

If say, the Kings went Winslow and Denver went Hezonja, Boston would likely be calling for WCS . They have 16, 28,33 and a handful of extra future 1st rounders. They might be able to put an offer on the table that would pique our interest.

My guess is Detroit rejects that.

Pure speculation on my part but I think Detroit wants an established player included in any deal for their pick.

Pure speculation on my part but I think Detroit wants an established player included in any deal for their pick.

Might well be true.

Only if that player fits SVG's profile. If the right player isn't offered, SVG might go for the picks if he thinks he can get several young players that do fit his style... I'm just guessing...

Go look at his mock history on DraftExpress. He has consistently been 9th or 8th since February. Only jumping to the top 3 four days ago.

DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Kristaps Porzingis, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

Every mock draft I've seen for the past two months has Porzingas in the Top 7 (ESPN, NBADraft.Net, SBNation, Bleacher Report, etc.).

That makes Draft Express the outlier. And obviously they have no clue what they're doing if they've had Porzingas at 8 and 9 the past 4 months.

I thought of that after I posted (not the Boston scenario specifically, but that WCS falling to us might actually create much greater Trade-up Interest in our pick than if Winslow or Hezonja fell to us...).

But I want Hezonja so badly I really don't want to see that scenario. I'd rather Mario fall to us, even if that means less trade interest, and then let SVG determine the best course of action from that point: Select Hezonja/ select someone else/ trade the pick down for more assets.

Every mock draft I've seen for the past two months has Porzingas in the Top 7 (ESPN, NBADraft.Net, SBNation, Bleacher Report, etc.).

That makes Draft Express the outlier. And obviously they have no clue what they're doing if they've had Porzingas at 8 and 9 the past 4 months.

Yeah, the only guy who made his bones scouting European basketball knows nothing about the Euros.

Draft Express really has no peer in comprehensive coverage of NBA prospects either here or abroad IMO.