DetroitCity313

2015 Detroit Pistons Lottery Thread

I watched Johnson and he was OK. Hard to tell though since he wasn't playing a DI opponent. Maybe Arizona plays NJIT or EMU soon.

I watched Johnson and he was OK. Hard to tell though since he wasn't playing a DI opponent. Maybe Arizona plays NJIT or EMU soon.

My first impression of Johnson was that he reminded me of Trevor Ariza--great hops, fast, decent stationary 3pt shooter, gets into passing lanes, very active on D.

My first impression of Johnson was that he reminded me of Trevor Ariza--great hops, fast, decent stationary 3pt shooter, gets into passing lanes, very active on D.

Active when his man was involved in the play. When he wasn't, he turns his back to the ball and his man too much.

I don't know, i think he's quite a bit different than Ariza at least offensively. He looks to drive the ball more than shoot and isn't a very good shooter when he does shoot. He has a stockier build than Ariza so he looks to play in the post with more frequency. What I really like about him though is his defensive intensity and non stop motor, the kid is an ELITE defender.

I don't know if he's the best fit for the Pistons mainly because his shot is lacking but I really like everything else about his game.

Someone is going to end up with a Larry Sanders type defender when they draft Cauley-Stein.

I would aim higher with WCS. Tyson Chandler upside. I can't even remember how athletic a young Tyson Chandler was at this point, but Stein reminds me off a more athletic raw current Tyson Chandler.

Tankathon - Draft Power Rankings

This calculation assigns a value to every pick in the draft and ranks teams based on the sum of their pick values. Data from previous draft picks' performance, playing time, and salaries are factored into a pick's score. The height of each pick in the chart is a loose representation of its value.

Details on the starting point for this formula can be viewed here.

I don't know, i think he's quite a bit different than Ariza at least offensively. He looks to drive the ball more than shoot and isn't a very good shooter when he does shoot. He has a stockier build than Ariza so he looks to play in the post with more frequency. What I really like about him though is his defensive intensity and non stop motor, the kid is an ELITE defender.

I don't know if he's the best fit for the Pistons mainly because his shot is lacking but I really like everything else about his game.

Ariza wasn't much of a shooter at all in college--about 24% from 3. If Trevor wasn't getting out on the break or going to the hoop he pretty much wasn't scoring. Here is a 2008 scouting report of Ariza.

Johnson is bigger, Ariza longer--but they both had the kind of motor you look for in an NBA 3. I would have no problem with the Pistons drafting that kid.

I think the Pistons will make the playoffs.

If they had waived Josh smith in the offseason and started 6-0, I think many would expect that they could be good enough to play .500 going forward.

Playing .500 going forward will give them a real chance to make the playoffs.

.500 the rest of the way is 35 wins. I'm not sure that gets them in. I don't think anyone has got in with that low of a number in the past 5 years. I think 38 is the low water mark for the playoffs.

.500 the rest of the way is 35 wins. I'm not sure that gets them in. I don't think anyone has got in with that low of a number in the past 5 years. I think 38 is the low water mark for the playoffs.

Of course 35 wouldn't necessarily get them in. There is no way to know the exact number.

But it would give them a chance.

The sportsclubstats website is a pretty handy tool for this type of stuff. It gives them a 50/50 shot if they get to 37. It gives them about a 10% shot if they get to 35.

My point is, if they can play at a 500ish pace, which isn't all that catches given their recent run after making a substantial personnel change, they will be in the hunt.

Could get themselves into a group of four with Brooklyn, indiana, and Miami battling for two spots.

Their current overall odds of making it are about 10%, but that is based on their overall numbers this season. If they are close to a 500 team, maybe their current odds are closer to 20% or so. I don't know, that's just a guess.

Just saw a thing on Twitter.

The Pistons play for all possessions for which Josh smith was not on the floor translates to that of a 59 win team.

The Pistons play for all possessions for which Josh smith was not on the floor translates to that of a 59 win team.

Insane.

Got a link? Or just tell me who Tweeted it and I can look it up.

Got a link? Or just tell me who Tweeted it and I can look it up.

I think it was in a tweet by bbstats

I think it was in a tweet by bbstats

OK, got it. I cant reproduce the numbers he is talking about, but oh well.

OK, got it. I cant reproduce the numbers he is talking about, but oh well.

The on/off numbers for Josh smith are right there on bbref. It's pretty absurd.

I don't know how to translate net efficiency to wins so I have to take his word on that. But it's a pretty clear net positive when comparing on/off numbers.

It might not be so crazy to think this team could win more games than it loses going forward.

The on/off numbers for Josh smith are right there on bbref. It's pretty absurd.

I don't know how to translate net efficiency to wins so I have to take his word on that. But it's a pretty clear net positive when comparing on/off numbers.

It might not be so crazy to think this team could win more games than it loses going forward.

Oh, I was talking about his article where he says they are outscoring their opponents 7.1 points per/100 without Smith. Not important, he is a good writer and I'm confident he is right.