Born in Detroit

1974 Tigers Scrapbook

My sister made a scrapbook for me for my 11th birthday in 1974. She was 14. It's a little messy, and I had to clip some of the top or bottom of pages because they are a little too big for my scanner, but hopefully you can read them.

We were living in Ohio then, so our local paper usually only had a short summary of the Tigers game, but she got a lot of Detroit News clippings from our cousin. It wasn't a great season, but there are some good memories in here. You might see some names you haven't thought of in a long time.

The average file size is about 150K per page. Not sure how long that will take for you modem people. But I didn't want to make them smaller because they would be hard to read.

1974 Tigers Scrapbook

Pretty cool collection. It was particularly interesting to read the box score of the All Star game and to see those names followed by a big story about streakers in Tiger Stadium on the next page.

BTW, fellow Netscape users.......you have to look at this one on IE.

Oh yeah, IFRAMES is a Microsoft tag. I don't even have Netscape installed, so I'm not gonna worry about supporting it. What do they have these days, about 7% market share?

I wonder if they ever did give The Bird that 1977 T-Bird......and if they did......did he get a 1978?

That car in that picture is a monster!

I added a page selector. The All-Star game Biff referenced is on page 21.

My mom had a 1975 T-Bird, candy-apple red with a white top. From the driver's seat to the front bumper was about 10 feet.

The Yankees ended up in 2nd place in 1974, but I found this funny as I was reading through the clippings:

On page 22, in the July 4, 1974 clipping, it refers to "the lowly New York Yankees". :D

What was impressive about that yr was that the Tigers finally began to rid of the hold-overs from '68.... I would compare

the 2002 Tigers to the '74 team in a heartbeat... I believe the last remaining player from '68 was Mickey Stanley.....

I wish Al Kaline had played longer, since he would have been the first w/ 3,000 hits and 400 Home-Runs.....

I guess you didn't look at it Mo, but the '74 Tigers had lots of '68 Tigers playing major roles. Horton, Stanley, Northrup, Cash, Lolich, Freehan, and Kaline were all big parts of both teams.

Kaline (finishing with 3007 hits and 399 HR) would have been at that time I guess the 5th player (behind Aaron, Mays, Musial, and Yaz?) to get 3000 hits and 400 HR. Instead, Cal Ripken Jr. got to have a mid-All-Star-game ceremony so Bud "Idiot" Selig could congratulate him on having 3000 hits and 400 RBI.

3,000-HITS  500-HOME RUNS
Player Hits HR

Hank Aaron 3,771 755
Willie Mays 3,283 660
Eddie Murray 3,255 504

3,000-HITS 400-HOME RUNS
Player Hits HR

Stan Musial 3,630 475
Dave Winfield 3,110 465
Carl Yastrzemski 3,419 452
Cal Ripken 3,184 431

I've just sampled a few pages, John, but this is major league cool.

What an outstanding gift.

:)

Actually, I did browse at the entire scrap-book.... I guess I should rephrase what I said in my previous post... It was the final yr for most of them since Northrup and Cash were released during the season and Kaline of course retired... I think Freehans and Hortons final seasons were '76 respectively, Lolich I believe was in '75.....

Wow, I went 0 for 2 in my last post in not being specific..HAHA.. I apologize for that.... I meant Kaline would have been the 1st in the AL to accomplish the feat of 3000 hits and 400 HRs.. I guess my awkward sleeping habits are now affecting my posting ability... HAHA....

Seriously, that was an excellent book, you must definitely hang onto it.... Im soo much into nostalgia myself, thats something I would cherish..... My sister kept clippings of '84 and '87, I wonder if she still has them.....

I will have to hunt and dig up what I have for the '84 season from the Jackson Citizen Pat and the Free Press. I think I had "baseball cards" that you could clip out of the paper and save. I may have thrown most of it away though in subsequent moves. I do recall having one of Joe Falls rambling columns where he notes that Cal Ripken had played in 500 consecutive games and sarcasticly notes "he only has blah to go!"

11 straight complete games by Lolich, Weaver has a ways to go eh?

I saw that Norm Cash should have accepted being picked up by the A's in '73 which would have given him another World Series ring or two to finish off his career. Instead he stayed here only to be dumped in mid '74. I wonder if that desicion bothered him more than he let on.

He was my favorite Tiger.

I remember that book!

Do you still have the cool poster she drew, with Kaline swinging that classic swing, and "Thanks For The Memories - 3000" written on it?

Yes, I still have the picture. She cut out a picture of Kaline getting hit #3000, and then drew squares on it, and then reproduced it by drawing each square, like those old puzzles in Dell crossword books.

Of course, she liked me best. She still does. Doesn't everyone?

Hiya, GGET! Good to have you around again.

No, I didn't get a scrapbook. She just did things like that for our little brother, since he was . . . . Well, I think "special" is the accepted term in today's social climate. Heck, we all did little things for our special little brother. I used to tie his shoes for him. But after he got married, it really wasn't my place anymore.

This scrapbook sounds pretty cool, is there still a good link available for it ??

EDIT: My bad, I see that "Born In Detroit" is no longer with us ......