Tenacious D

Tigers acquire Anthony Gose for Devon Travis

I agree that those are the right positions to emphasize defense, but I'd prefer more dimensional players.

We'll really need Castellanos to step up offensively, since he is the opposite and must hit to contribute.

Of all the lineups that can afford it, we can.

Castellanos will probably be better next year, so a 2-6 of Kinsler-Miggy-VMart-JD-Casty is about as good as any in the league. We still need someone who can lead off, though.

I think they probably have some money left for corner outfield since they spent nothing in center.

My concern with Gose isn't that he is likely to be a #9 hitter. It's that he won't even be good enough to be a #9 hitter.

I think they probably have some money left for corner outfield since they spent nothing in center.

Melky? I would be ok with that.

I guess I just don't understand trading an asset during the middle of free agency when you can just sign a similar player (speed, defense). But I get it in the sense Gose makes league minimum and under team control through 2018. Also, because Travis is blocked by Kinsler and the Blue Jays have a better player in Dalton Pompey.

I guess I just don't understand trading an asset during the middle of free agency when you can just sign a similar player (speed, defense). .

Was there a similar player available at such a low salary? The kind of defense that Gose supposedly has costs more than it did a few years ago.

Edited by tiger337

Was there a similar player available at such a low salary? The kind of defense that Gose supposedly has costs more than it did a few years ago.

Rasmus was really the only legit CF option in FA. He is also a platoon player, not great defensively and is gonna cost at least 10 mil for 1 year.

We've been discussing this for a while now. The trade market appears very weak as well... Neither Bradley or Bourjos (if he's even available) are any better than Gose.

Again, it really makes me wish DD/Illitch would have doled out the extra $ for Castillo.

We just have to hope there's some real room for growth in Gose's bat. He + Davis could make a pretty solid CF platoon in 2015. But we're stuck with Gose for a while.

I think/hope this means that DD will go out and get a full-time corner OFer who can hit. Can't count on Collins to hold down the bulk of LF at this point. And Moya could easily spend all of 15 in AAA.

Rasmus was really the only legit CF option in FA. He is also a platoon player, not great defensively and is gonna cost at least 10 mil for 1 year.

We've been discussing this for a while now. The trade market appears very weak as well... Neither Bradley or Bourjos (if he's even available) are any better than Gose.

Again, it really makes me wish DD/Illitch would have doled out the extra $ for Castillo.

We just have to hope there's some real room for growth in Gose's bat. He + Davis could make a pretty solid CF platoon in 2015. But we're stuck with Gose for a while.

I think/hope this means that DD will go out and get a full-time corner OFer who can hit. Can't count on Collins to hold down the bulk of LF at this point. And Moya could easily spend all of 15 in AAA.

I'm pretty confident they will get a corner outfielder. The Red Sox still look like an obvious trading partner.

They need another really good position player somehow. I'm guessing they'll need to be cheap and creative with the bullpen and give the #5 spot to Lobstein or Ray and trade for a starter in-season if needed.

I think they end up squeezing 3 wins out of CF for something like 6.5 mil. I'll take it. Gose is much more useful to us than Travis IMO.

I like this move. I just set fire to a dumpster full of empty Ouzo bottles outside a Greek restaurant in celebration of our 2015 World Series championship. I haven't been this excited since the Tigers traded Brett Jacobson for Aubrey Huff.

I was worried about the Tiger's chances next season. Now I fully expect them to win the WS.

Hopefully my comment will be bumped nine months from now when he is batting .350.

I didn't think much of Rajai Davis' acquisition at the time. I also thought more of the Ian Krol acquisition than was warranted.

I was not at all a fan of this upon initially hearing about it. But reading through this thread has calmed my nerves a bit. I didn't realize Travis was already 23 and I didn't realize Gose's defensive capabilities.

I really have no idea, but I would be curious what the initial reaction was to Austin Jackson when we first got him for Granderson. Wasn't he a speedy CFer who had issues hitting as well? That one turned out pretty good.

Didn't you JUST do that in the off-season thread when making your lineup?

Yes, and followed it with a "sorry" because I knew it was horrible. Rod will do it many times, thinking he's clever.

I really have no idea, but I would be curious what the initial reaction was to Austin Jackson when we first got him for Granderson. Wasn't he a speedy CFer who had issues hitting as well? That one turned out pretty good.

Jackson had a much better hitting track record in the minors than gose. Jackson had a few full seasons of hitting 300 or better while gose has never hit better than .263.

But Jackson isn't close to the kind of athlete gose is. Gose is an off the charts athlete with 70 grades on his arm, speed, and cf defense. He stole 70 bases in AA and has the pop to hit double digit homeruns. While being a gold glove caliber cf'er with a right rf'ers arm.

Gose just struggles to make hard contact and hasn't hit at all in the majors so far.

Jackson had a much better hitting track record in the minors than gose. Jackson had a few full seasons of hitting 300 or better while gose has never hit better than .263.

But Jackson isn't close to the kind of athlete gose is. Gose is an off the charts athlete with 70 grades on his arm, speed, and cf defense. He stole 70 bases in AA and has the pop to hit double digit homeruns. While being a gold glove caliber cf'er with a right rf'ers arm.

Gose just struggles to make hard contact and hasn't hit at all in the majors so far.

I didn't know he was that highly rated. I can understand why DD was willing to take a chance on him and see if he pans out.

I really have no feelings either way on this deal. I suppose, if Gose is that talented, I agree it's worth taking a chance on him.

Yes, and followed it with a "sorry" because I knew it was horrible. Rod will do it many times, thinking he's clever.

What would be really funny is if Rod does it once, follows it up with a 'sorry partner' or something like that and then never use it again.