cruzer1

Jim Harbaugh to Michigan rumors gaining steam...

T&P, if you got to choose one but only one, would you prefer Harbaugh to U-M or Babcock to the Leafs? I guess your answer would be decided by a combination of which program you care more about along with which organization would be more positively impacted by landing the dream candidate.

The NFL reporters who are claiming that he isn't coming cited at least a couple things that just are not so: That Harbaugh is offended by the rough treatment of Hoke. Per the Michigan insiders they treated Hoke with great respect because the Carr's and other Bo disciples and Harbaugh insisted that Hoke be treated well.

Also, that Harbaugh is still steamed at "Michigan" for not having been asked in 2008 or 2011 or having been handled without respect. That was a different group of individuals and they are gone now.

He may not be coming but i see through the smoke screen that he's definitely not.

I don't buy these two either. Hackett gushed about Hoke in the press conference announcing his firing. I like Hoke a lot but even I thought Hackett might be choosing his words for the Harbaughs.

I think the other thing Harbaugh was supposedly mad about is that Carr didn't hire him as a QB coach.

Of course Michigan could harbor resentment over Harbaugh waiting for Bo to die before ridiculing Michigan's academic support/priority for athletes.

Could it be Harbaugh vs Hoke at Michigan Stadium on 9/12/15?

According to a report from 247sports.com's Josh Newberg, Oregon State has contacted Hoke to discuss its vacant head coaching position.

The Beavers lost Mike Riley to Nebraska last week after a 5-7 campaign in 2014. Riley had been Oregon State's coach since 1997, going 93-80 in that span.

Hoke, of course, has a history with Oregon State. He served as an assistant coach with the Beavers program from 1989-1994. It was the last assistant coaching job he had before joining Lloyd Carr's staff at Michigan in 1995.

The other tie-in here, of course, comes with Oregon State athletic director Bo De Carolis. De Carolis served a variety of roles inside Michigan's athletic department for 19 years. When Hoke arrived in Ann Arbor in 1995, De Carolis was still a senior associate athletic director with the school, a job he kept until 1998.

Should any more movement happen here, potentially leading to a hire, then Hoke would be inside Michigan Stadium for the Wolverines' 2015 home opener.

Michigan is scheduled to host Oregon State on Sept. 12.

Report: Oregon State contacts Brady Hoke about vacant head coaching job | MLive.com

Of course Michigan could harbor resentment over Harbaugh waiting for Bo to die before ridiculing Michigan's academic support/priority for athletes.

He should have done it while Bo was alive?

He should have done it while Bo was alive?

He probably shouldn't have done it at all since reporting after doesn't show his Stanford team choosing majors much different than Michigan players.

The NFL reporters who are claiming that he isn't coming cited at least a couple things that just are not so: That Harbaugh is offended by the rough treatment of Hoke. Per the Michigan insiders they treated Hoke with great respect because the Carr's and other Bo disciples and Harbaugh insisted that Hoke be treated well.

Also, that Harbaugh is still steamed at "Michigan" for not having been asked in 2008 or 2011 or having been handled without respect. That was a different group of individuals and they are gone now.

He may not be coming but i see through the smoke screen that he's definitely not.

Michigan's Jim Hackett at Bust: Interest 'has blown me away'

Brady Hoke was at the Michigan Football Bust tonight?! If that's not going out with grace and respect from Hackett et. al., I don't know what is.

He probably shouldn't have done it at all since reporting after doesn't show his Stanford team choosing majors much different than Michigan players.

I didn't have any personal knowledge of cases 1st hand, but in the Carr era I had always heard FB players were discouraged from going to engin school, among other more demanding majors. I do know this was NOT the case under Bo, nor was it the case under Rich Rod - to his credit.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I didn't have any personal knowledge of cases 1st hand, but in the Carr era I had always heard FB players were discouraged from going to engin school, among other more demanding majors. I do know this was NOT the case under Bo, nor was it the case under Rich Rod - to his credit.

Harbaugh said it was the case under Bo. I think it makes some sense to caution kids about time demands. It surprises me a little to see Carr's name but only because he was known to use books to create season themes and cite poetry. And wasn't it said that he had a dictionary outside of his office and players had to find/define a new word to gain entry?

Rodriguez probably didn't have to worry about demanding majors given the academic wash outs and graduation rates of his recruits.

Harbaugh said it was the case under Bo. I think it makes some sense to caution kids about time demands. It surprises me a little to see Carr's name but only because he was known to use books to create season themes and cite poetry. And wasn't it said that he had a dictionary outside of his office and players had to find/define a new word to gain entry?

Rodriguez probably didn't have to worry about demanding majors given the academic wash outs and graduation rates of his recruits.

I graded papers of two engineers who were varsity starters under Bo. Bo also had a starting QB graduate and be admitted to UM dental school (Tom Slade). There were a number of Bo's players in Bus Ad school as well (of course it probably wasn't as tough there as it is now). These were people I knew about 1st hand. It wasn't Harvard on the FB in the 70's by any means, there were plenty of general studies majors, but no-one told you couldn't play if you wanted to go to school seriously as well, which is what the accusation under Carr was. Maybe later (when Harbaugh was there) Bo got worse about this, but at least in the beginning he wasn't.

That makes more sense.

The issue, as you see it, is the action rather than the timing. The original claim made it sound as though the timing was the issue.

Sounds like all is going according to plan in Ann Arbor:

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 21m21 minutes ago

Michigan. RT @JohnKollm: @FootballScoop How do they seem so far behind? Not like search was a surprise.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 1m1 minute ago

What I have been hearing from coaches>> RT @JohnKollm: @khochs @FootballScoop No rush to hire but no semblance of organized process in place

FootballScoop Staff @FootballScoop · 5h 5 hours ago

Re: Report that Michigan has reached out to Cut. I spoke w source who knows Cut well. He didn’t feel there was any way Cut would go to UM

Sounds like all is going according to plan in Ann Arbor:

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 21m21 minutes ago

Michigan. RT @JohnKollm: @FootballScoop How do they seem so far behind? Not like search was a surprise.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 1m1 minute ago

What I have been hearing from coaches>> RT @JohnKollm: @khochs @FootballScoop No rush to hire but no semblance of organized process in place

Well, OTOH, in a case like this, silence and no appearance of motion is what a properly run search should produce right up the moment of a deal. Every bit of the kind of information that the media needs to validate its idea of a search is just toxin to the University's actual interests and probability of success in the search.

That being the case, from the outside you may not be able to tell a bad search process from a great one until you see the result. Which is not to say that are not screwing this up, only that Football Scoop probably doesn't know jack one way or the other at this point.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Well, OTOH, in a case like this, silence and no appearance of motion is what a properly run search should produce right up the moment of a deal. Every bit of the kind of information that the media needs to validate its idea of a search is just toxin to the University's actual interests and probability of success in the search.

That being the case, from the outside you may not be able to tell a bad search process from a great one until you see the result. Which is not to say that are not screwing this up, only that Football Scoop probably doesn't know jack one way or the other at this point.

It would be how Dave Dombrowski handled it.

Then there's this.

FootballScoop Staff retweeted

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 11m11 minutes ago

Was told tonight #Michigan officials offered David Cutcliffe their job but the #Duke coach turned it down. Times sure have changed.

That makes more sense.

The issue, as you see it, is the action rather than the timing. The original claim made it sound as though the timing was the issue.

I do think it's something he wouldn't have said had Bo been around.

Bob Wojnowski ‏@bobwojnowski 52m

Mich is using a search firm. They contact tons of people for due diligence. Cutcliffe will get a raise out of it, just like Butch Jones did.

Bob Wojnowski ‏@bobwojnowski 58 minutes ago

There is zero chance the Duke coach was offered the Michigan job. Come on people. #sillyseason

On the tiny chance he was offered, I'm glad he turned it down.

It would be awkward when Jim shows up for work in a few weeks.

If Dukes head coach becomes Michigan's head coach, I am quitting being a Michigan fan and becoming a fan of my alama mater Texas A&M

Bob Wojnowski ‏@bobwojnowski 52m

Mich is using a search firm. They contact tons of people for due diligence. Cutcliffe will get a raise out of it, just like Butch Jones did.

Bob Wojnowski ‏@bobwojnowski 58 minutes ago

There is zero chance the Duke coach was offered the Michigan job. Come on people. #sillyseason

Goodness, Bob better be right.

Goodness, Bob better be right.

I believe it. When I saw the Duke rumor last night I immediately dismissed it.

On a related note: I hope (i)AD Hackett has initiated a search firm to replace Jim Brandstatter as the play-by-play voice. He's not suited to that role. Matt Shepherd would be fine. A home run would be someone as good as Dan Dickerson is with the Tigers.