cruzer1

Jim Harbaugh to Michigan rumors gaining steam...

He's from the South and isn't coming here.

I have a hard time seeing a bible beating guy like Richt getting the Michigan job.

That too! Although I LOVE how Richt runs a VERY clean program. It looks really bad when his guys constantly get in trouble, but I believe a lot of that has to do with the fact that he is very adamant about holding his guys to a high standard. He seems to report anything and everything that may be against NCAA rules, and isn't afraid to bench a big name if they break team rules. I think his being a "good guy" probably costs him some games. I honestly think he would rather people view his program as being transparent and clean, then to win a lot of games and/or a national title and have controversy loom over it (i.e. Auburn, Texas A&M, FSU, etc.)

UGA is too smart to let a guy with his record get away. Richt may leave, but he isn't getting fired anytime soon.

The sports people on campus do get some measure of a pass on what the normal cultural critque might otherwise be. Take Frank Beckman - politically he'd have been 'run out of town' (metaphorically) years ago if his association with the U had been anything but football. Still, it's a good point that his own comfort level on a liberal campus might be lacking.

UGA is pretty liberal too. I went there for a year and then lived in Athens a few years later. Athens is like Ann Arbor a lot more than you'd think (a lot more affordable). Plus if he wins, nobody cares.

You just hope he doesn't have doug collin's disease where his obsession with winning causes him to alienate everyone he works with.

Jim Harbaugh is a humorless prick. You may say "good", but it will wear thin, especially if he doesn't win right away. As intense as Bo was, but Bo could crack a joke now and then. It would have to be the absolute right AD for it to work. But I strongly believe that he is merely using Michigan as leverage for another NFL deal. The Raiders will want a coach, the Chargers would surely fire their coach for him. Stephen Ross would throw a lot of money at him for the Miami job and The Rams would just love to have a name like Jim Harbaugh when they bring the team back to L.A. in a year or two. I think he'd be an instant upgrade over Brady, but I also feel like he'd be eyeing the next job pretty quickly.

Michigan needs a humorless prick. They suck. They all know he's difficult, but he's the best for the job. And really the only one who can save Michigan, imo.

Jim Harbaugh is a humorless prick. You may say "good", but it will wear thin, especially if he doesn't win right away. As intense as Bo was, but Bo could crack a joke now and then. It would have to be the absolute right AD for it to work. But I strongly believe that he is merely using Michigan as leverage for another NFL deal. The Raiders will want a coach, the Chargers would surely fire their coach for him. Stephen Ross would throw a lot of money at him for the Miami job and The Rams would just love to have a name like Jim Harbaugh when they bring the team back to L.A. in a year or two. I think he'd be an instant upgrade over Brady, but I also feel like he'd be eyeing the next job pretty quickly.

So...you want a coach...based on the fact he can crack a joke or not?

No, he is saying that Jim is extremely difficult to work under and humor can go a long way to smooth the inevitable rough patches.

At least I think that is what he is saying.

No, he is saying that Jim is extremely difficult to work under and humor can go a long way to smooth the inevitable rough patches.

At least I think that is what he is saying.

Pretty much what I am saying. Bo was intense as hell. So is Tom Izzo, but they also knew when to breathe and give other people a chance to breathe. Not sure Harbaugh does just yet. Hey, he could come in and win right away, and that would be great, and he also has the advantage of having his players only really put up with him for 3-5 years, but it's not the players I am concerned with - it's the other people in and around the University. I am torn on the Harbaugh thing. I want him as coach, but I don't want him as coach. I really don't think he'd leave California (other than maybe Miami) and I don't think he's done with the NFL and I don't want a guy who is eyeing two or three years at Michigan before he bolts for the pros again. Yeah, that's a lot to ask these days since most coaches seem to be looking elsewhere all the time and Michigan is not the destination it used to be (for now, anyway).

Pretty much what I am saying. Bo was intense as hell. So is Tom Izzo, but they also knew when to breathe and give other people a chance to breathe. Not sure Harbaugh does just yet. Hey, he could come in and win right away, and that would be great, and he also has the advantage of having his players only really put up with him for 3-5 years, but it's not the players I am concerned with - it's the other people in and around the University. I am torn on the Harbaugh thing. I want him as coach, but I don't want him as coach. I really don't think he'd leave California (other than maybe Miami) and I don't think he's done with the NFL and I don't want a guy who is eyeing two or three years at Michigan before he bolts for the pros again. Yeah, that's a lot to ask these days since most coaches seem to be looking elsewhere all the time and Michigan is not the destination it used to be (for now, anyway).

I don't see any reason Harbaugh would come here if he didn't plan on staying - I just don't see the mechanics of how moving to the college ranks becomes any kind of leverage to another NFL team if his objective is still a SuperBowl win.

Of course, if he really wants another NFL gig, you would think the best strategy would be to play nice in SF but just not sign another contract.

I don't see any reason Harbaugh would come here if he didn't plan on staying - I just don't see the mechanics of how moving to the college ranks becomes any kind of leverage to another NFL team if his objective is still a SuperBowl win.

Of course, if he really wants another NFL gig, you would think the best strategy would be to play nice in SF but just not sign another contract.

I don't think the NFL is going to line up for him, and I think he'll want to go long with UM.

Honest question as I don't really do football... why would a guy coaching in the NFL, who would presumably get other jobs if he wanted them, go coach in college? Seems the hassles of recruiting and NCAA regulations would make the job less appealing.

Honest question as I don't really do football... why would a guy coaching in the NFL, who would presumably get other jobs if he wanted them, go coach in college? Seems the hassles of recruiting and NCAA regulations would make the job less appealing.

All things being equal, nodoby would want to do that.

I heard Colin Cowherd talking about this last week. He said there is a lot more stress on an NFL coach in terms of what is expected. The NCAA rules limit the amount of practice in season and out of season compared to the NFL, and basically limit the amount of work a college coach can do compared to NFL rules. There's a distinct advantage to coaching a top 40 program in terms of team building compared to the NFL (all teams are pretty much on the same plaing field with a salary cap). In terms of salary, an elite college coach isn't far behind an NFL. Also, college coaches have a a lot more leverage to cut/limit play of players on their team then an NFL coach has. If you take a kid high in the draft, you're expected to make him fit on the team. In college football, there are 4* and 5* kids who are red shirted or even released from teams every year and fans don't often care (as long as your winning 9+ games a year. Finally, he said that there are several owners of NFL teams who are major pain in the butts. You rarely see that in college sports (meddling AD's)

Colin's bottom line was, if you have an very good to elite QB in the NFL, you'll have plenty of job security. Once you lose that QB, many NFL coaches soon find the "hot seat". His question is, what team, with a decent QB, would Harbaugh want to take next year that would probably have a coaching vacancy? He didn't say that a college job is better, but can understand why someone would consider it over an NFL job.

I heard Colin Cowherd talking about this last week. He said there is a lot more stress on an NFL coach in terms of what is expected. The NCAA rules limit the amount of practice in season and out of season compared to the NFL, and basically limit the amount of work a college coach can do compared to NFL rules. There's a distinct advantage to coaching a top 40 program in terms of team building compared to the NFL (all teams are pretty much on the same plaing field with a salary cap). In terms of salary, an elite college coach isn't far behind an NFL. Also, college coaches have a a lot more leverage to cut/limit play of players on their team then an NFL coach has. If you take a kid high in the draft, you're expected to make him fit on the team. In college football, there are 4* and 5* kids who are red shirted or even released from teams every year and fans don't often care (as long as your winning 9+ games a year. Finally, he said that there are several owners of NFL teams who are major pain in the butts. You rarely see that in college sports (meddling AD's)

Colin's bottom line was, if you have an very good to elite QB in the NFL, you'll have plenty of job security. Once you lose that QB, many NFL coaches soon find the "hot seat". His question is, what team, with a decent QB, would Harbaugh want to take next year that would probably have a coaching vacancy? He didn't say that a college job is better, but can understand why someone would consider it over an NFL job.

The other thing that attracts coaches to a college job is the fact that if you are successful enough, you obtain a god-like status at the school that I can't imagine more than a handful of NFL coaches have ever achieved. NFL coaches are viewed like the players, that is to say hired guns to do a job. It's all about the Ws. Hired to be fired.

I wonder if NCAA jobs are less attractive since the Joe Paterno/Jerry Sandusky scandals. Sandusky got away with horrible crimes because Joe Paterno and company squashed the reports because Joe Paterno could squash the reports because he had demigod status at PSU.

And in particular at Ann Arbor with the crazy anti-whatever community that even Bo had to contend with...you have a strong headwind. I imagine the Harbaugh family well-understands that headwind because of their ties to the community though...so we shall see. To be the Coach that saves the most important NCAA program in College football history (forgive my hyperbole) would be quite an awesome accomplishment. One could enter Protestant Heaven with your head held high if you had done that.

The Harbaugh Family is a thing? Like the Bernsteins. And Corleones?

Jack, John Jim all have aa ties and are of the Bo coaching tree

Yeah, the owner tweeting out apologies to the fans about how bad they were doesn't really seem like a ringing endorsement.

Schefter on ESPN right now, saying people around the league expect Harbaugh to be gone. Niners still have to play the Chargers, Seahawks and Cardinals.

IMO, I would give it at least a 50/50 shot of him landing in Ann Arbor next year (although my gut tells me it is a done deal that he will coach Michigan next year). I would prefer his brother John, but I have no complaints about landing either guy. I listen to Colin Cowherds podcasts, and he consistently asks people who think Harbaugh will land another NFL team next year, "What team would he want to coach?" Harbaugh has a resume that will likely get the attention of all NFL owners/GM's in need of a coach, but I think there is little chance he goes to a team that needs a lot of help. He could take over a Michigan program that has a lot of high ceiling athletes, get some control, give them a great game plan, and then when a NFL team with some good talent tanks for a year or two, he can leave for the NFL again.

John Harbaugh, on the other hand, would be ideal. John would help keep Mattison on board. If we can keep Mattison, and most of his recruits, we could see a turnaround in a year or two IMO. Either way, I'm glad that Michigan is moving past the Hoke era. Hopefully we have a Harbaugh on the sidelines in the spring.

Jim Harbaugh has been the ideal Michigan coach for the past 8 years now, hopefully it works out this time. I would love to see him kick some ***.

I don't see him as the type of guy that's going to go to Michigan only because he can't find a better NFL job. He's an ******* but he's an honest *******. If he comes to Michigan it's because that's where he wants to coach. If he doesn't want to leave the bay area he'll coach in the Bay area. He's going to do what he wants or nothing at all.

Conventional wisdom says he stays at the highest level, but he doesn't give a **** about that.

Jim Harbaugh has been the ideal Michigan coach for the past 8 years now, hopefully it works out this time. I would love to see him kick some ***.

I don't see him as the type of guy that's going to go to Michigan only because he can't find a better NFL job. He's an ******* but he's an honest *******. If he comes to Michigan it's because that's where he wants to coach. If he doesn't want to leave the bay area he'll coach in the Bay area. He's going to do what he wants or nothing at all.

Conventional wisdom says he stays at the highest level, but he doesn't give a **** about that.

I was just reading some other predictions. Several think he stays in Cali and takes over the Raiders. They have some nice, young talent on that team. It seems like an ideal spot for him if he decides to stay in the NFL.