cruzer1

Jim Harbaugh to Michigan rumors gaining steam...

Harbaugh To Michigan Update, The Rumors!

In the afterglow of Michigan’s announcement that Dave Brandon is out as AD, there are a ton of rumors circulating around Ann Arbor about the future of the football program. We know Brady Hoke will not survive, the question is, does Harbaugh want the job?

Here is what I am hearing and most of them are rumors at this point, but still, VERY, VERY interesting because of who they are coming from at the moment.

None of this is confirmed as my original story about Brandon being fired was on September 22, 2014. However, some of the same people who told me about Brandon’s future are telling me about these rumors. It’s odd, they aren’t calling them rumors, but NOBODY wants to be the guy who betrays the trust of those involved. So, until one will confirm, I have to call them rumors at this point.

The biggest rumors that have people yapping in Ann Arbor are both involving Jim Harbaugh. While Harbaugh is under contract with the SF 49′ers, he isn’t talking and wants nothing to do with the coaching search. He is intent to sit back, wait and play this correctly. He doesn’t want this to be a messy break with the 49′ers. However, there are reports tonight that Jim’s father Jack has told a couple of folks close to the family that Jim would indeed take the Michigan job if offered! Remember, contrary to EVERY report out of Detroit, Harbaugh was never approached about the Head Coaching job four years ago. Dave Brandon was hell bent on Brady Hoke from day one, he wanted a Head Coach he could control and he wasn’t going to control Jim Harbaugh or Les Miles.

Multiple sources also claim that there will be a meeting in Ann Arbor next week between President Schlissel and a representative from the Harbaugh camp. This is a rumor that is making the rounds among some in the University.

If I had to bet on these two rumors, I would bet a lot on the sources being correct. I’ll keep digging, but again, NOBODY wants to talk right now. In Ann Arbor now is the time to “lay low.”

Also, Jack Harbaugh mentioned on Sports Final Edition Sunday night that Jim would "absolutely take the Michigan job".

If Brandon never even talked to Harbaugh four years ago, then my opinion of him just got even lower.

Anyways, DO IT.

Harbaugh To Michigan Update, The Rumors!

Also, Jack Harbaugh mentioned on Sports Final Edition Sunday night that Jim would "absolutely take the Michigan job".

To clarify, Bernie Smilovitz mentioned on a newscast what Jack Harbaugh had said, and it was not on SFE. I got that from a UM board.

Don't count on it folks, Jim is trying to up his salary with the 49ers or forge his next NFL contract with the Raiders. Jim Harbaugh & Mark Davis in the same business........that'll be fun. Mark Richt from Georgia will be you next Michigan Head Coach.

Don't count on it folks, Jim is trying to up his salary with the 49ers or forge his next NFL contract with the Raiders. Jim Harbaugh & Mark Davis in the same business........that'll be fun. Mark Richt from Georgia will be you next Michigan Head Coach.

Back to the people.

The 49ers don't want harbaugh.

As I read the tea leaves, they would be getting the cart in front of the horse if they make an offer to Harbaugh before they can tell him who the AD would be. I don't see JH agreeing to a job where he didn't know who he was going to have to work with/for and the ground rules had been established between them - IOW it would be a package of a new AD and coach. JH is going to want control of his domain - just my own long distance reading of the man, but I'm guessing that will be a bigger issue than money - how much autonomy will an institution like UM give him?

not that I agree with what I'm going to type, but.......:

Is he the best choice?

If nothing else, the issues at Stanford are about as close to those at UM as anywhere. What he did there is a pretty powerful plus on the resume. More impressive to me than Saban being able to turn around Alabama for instance.

To me the big downside risk with Harbaugh is whether he is willing to be an organization man enough to survive in a big bureacratic place like UM and the NCAA. Will he play nice with all the people he will have no use for but who can make his life difficult?

Edited by Gehringer_2

I think college might suit him better because they basically get to have little dictatorships as long as they win and "follow the rules".

The chances of it feel slim to me.

If Brandon never even talked to Harbaugh four years ago, then my opinion of him just got even lower.

Anyways, DO IT.

Wasn't the speculation that Mary Sue talked to Harbaugh in Fl during the NFL playoffs? At least according to the airplane tail number tracking frenzy that was going on all week! There did seem to be some kind of possibility that they in close enough proximity to each other that would have made a face to face conversation possible had it been desired.

Can't disagree.

I feel like the chances are higher they get Les Miles. Not sure if that's as good. I'd def be ok w/ it.

The Mark Richt part is a joke, I get it. But Richt is an interesting choice in that he always recruits very well but never follows through all the way in the end. I'd be interested in seeing what Richt can do outside of the SEC, in a less competitive environment. I'm not saying I want Richt, but Michigan could do worse, much worse.

Gregg Henson claims that Jack Harbaugh wants this to happen. Depends on the AD of course. I hope interim AD Hackett and Schissel find us a good AD.

As I read the tea leaves, they would be getting the cart in front of the horse if they make an offer to Harbaugh before they can tell him who the AD would be. I don't see JH agreeing to a job where he didn't know who he was going to have to work with/for and the ground rules had been established between them - IOW it would be a package of a new AD and coach. JH is going to want control of his domain - just my own long distance reading of the man, but I'm guessing that will be a bigger issue than money - how much autonomy will an institution like UM give him?

I kind of wonder about this as well. Unless they know who will be the next AD and they are simply waiting for time to pass by for some reason before making the hiring public.

I have a feeling that Jim Harbaugh could quickly turn things around, but I also wonder how long he would last. (Yeah, I know, the irony is rich coming from a fan of the school with Meyer as coach.) But even if he didn't last long enough, he very well could set up the culture and support staff well enough for a replacement to keep things going.

I still think the Mullen suggestion intrigues me the most. Young coach that has brought success to a program that hasn't had much. Mississippi State might not be a sustainable success story for the long haul. The Big Ten East is probably more navigable than the SEC West.

There's too much smoke for there not to be a little fire. I think harbaugh is a serious possibility now.

harbaugh would have his pick of nfl jobs based on his success in the nfl. The fact that the michigan job is open doesnt raise his demands or asking price by one penny.

I think college might be a better place for someone with Harbaugh's personality. He would be KING at Michigan, could make just as much money as in the NFL, keep getting a new slosh of players he could dictate too, as opposed to the NFL players who are getting burnt out on him.

Mark Richt from Georgia will be you next Michigan Head Coach.

Although I would LOVE for this to happen, Richt isn't going anywhere. The dude has averaged nearly 10 wins a year in his tenure at Georgia. The fans down here are very angry with him, but the administration still loves the guy. Unless he has a few years of 8 or less wins, and loses to his rivals in a bad way (over several years), then he will be just fine keeping his job in Athens. Again, I'd love to see it happen, but I don't see how Richt has any chance at losing his job at UGA in the near future.

You just hope he doesn't have doug collin's disease where his obsession with winning causes him to alienate everyone he works with.

I think college might be a better place for someone with Harbaugh's personality. He would be KING at Michigan, could make just as much money as in the NFL, keep getting a new slosh of players he could dictate too, as opposed to the NFL players who are getting burnt out on him.

I agree with this. I think he'd be a huge boon for M, at the expense of salary only. But, CFB is still not the NFL, and even if his temperament isn't perfect for the NFL (or vice versa), he can still be very successful there if he wants. And I think that's ultimately what he wants.

Although I would LOVE for this to happen, Richt isn't going anywhere. The dude has averaged nearly 10 wins a year in his tenure at Georgia. The fans down here are very angry with him, but the administration still loves the guy. Unless he has a few years of 8 or less wins, and loses to his rivals in a bad way (over several years), then he will be just fine keeping his job in Athens. Again, I'd love to see it happen, but I don't see how Richt has any chance at losing his job at UGA in the near future.

He's from the South and isn't coming here.

I have a hard time seeing a bible beating guy like Richt getting the Michigan job.

He's from the South and isn't coming here.

I have a hard time seeing a bible beating guy like Richt getting the Michigan job.

The sports people on campus do get some measure of a pass on what the normal cultural critque might otherwise be. Take Frank Beckman - politically he'd have been 'run out of town' (metaphorically) years ago if his association with the U had been anything but football. Still, it's a good point that his own comfort level on a liberal campus might be lacking.

Good news! Drew sharp was in the radio in chicago saying there was no chance harbaugh would come, which just increased the odds of him coming ten-fold.

Bad news, hub arkush said he has a harder time seeing harbaugh leaving cali than going back to college. And he actually talks to harbaugh from time to time.