T&P_Fan

Dave Brandon Resigns

I know it was said in the next AD thread, but I thought it warranted it's own discussion point.

RT @McMurphyESPN Dave Brandon is resigning as Michigan’s AD, source told @ESPN. Press conference this afternoon

Press conference at 1:30.

I know it was said in the next AD thread, but I thought it warranted it's own discussion point.

Press conference at 1:30.

After all those emails i am surprised it took this long. You simply do not do that kind of thing...you want to and would love to, but you do not get baited into replying like he did.

Great news. Hopefully UM does a comprehensive AD search before naming a permanent successor.

Great news. Hopefully UM does a comprehensive AD search before naming a permanent successor.

I think the search was already well underway.

My money is on Bates.

I think the search was already well underway.

My money is on Bates.

When it comes to being an AD, he should be called a master!

I thought there was a lot to like what Schlissel said, but it was just words. Most importantly, he said he had "excellence" in mind, not the prereq Michigan Man bullsplit

Here's the thing about that block "M". It needed no branding. It stood for something.....not just a football team I didn't even like when they put the "Michigan" on the banner in front of the M. Leave it alone. Keep it simple and straightforward. Dave Brandon and Bill Martin understand money, they are good at it - and the facilities that were upgraded because of their work are beautiful and, despite the extra expense, were designed to fit in with the brick-and-mortar aesthetic of the rest of the university. They both deserve credit for an excellent job there. But the AD is not a job for a spotlight-seeker. You make your mark quietly in that role. Hire the right coaches, let them do their jobs and if they need your help, they'll let you know. As far as being a "Michigan" man goes, Bo was not a Michigan man until he was hired. Neither was Fritz Crisler. Just hire the best person and stay out of their way.

Here's the thing about that block "M". It needed no branding. It stood for something.....not just a football team I didn't even like when they put the "Michigan" on the banner in front of the M. Leave it alone. Keep it simple and straightforward. Dave Brandon and Bill Martin understand money, they are good at it - and the facilities that were upgraded because of their work are beautiful and, despite the extra expense, were designed to fit in with the brick-and-mortar aesthetic of the rest of the university. They both deserve credit for an excellent job there. But the AD is not a job for a spotlight-seeker. You make your mark quietly in that role. Hire the right coaches, let them do their jobs and if they need your help, they'll let you know. As far as being a "Michigan" man goes, Bo was not a Michigan man until he was hired. Neither was Fritz Crisler. Just hire the best person and stay out of their way.

Well said. In terms of replacements, among others, I've heard Jeff Long's name mentioned. I suspect a guy who hired John L. Smith (after he voluntarily slapped himself on camera in a press conference at MSU) probably wouldn't be a real popular hire right now in Ann Arbor.

Credit to Dave for stepping down. I expected him to dig in, to be honest.

That was my expectation as well. Instead he took the approach I would have in his shoes: get paid $3 million to simply walk away without causing a ruckus.

Credit to Dave for stepping down. I expected him to dig in, to be honest.

I don't feel like giving him much credit for messing up the dept and then taking the 3 million in return for just going away quietly instead of just going away.

I don't know how I feel about bringing in another corporate type, even if his only job is the search - would rather sees sports expertise return to center stage.

I think the offer was be fired or resign, take your $ 3 million and don't say anything bad about anybody on your way out. I guess he gets kudos for choosing the latter. Either way, he was gone.

He's universally hated by students on campus, though. At some point that has to get old and one probably just wants to get out of that toxic environment and take a long vacation.

I think the offer was be fired or resign, take your $ 3 million and don't say anything bad about anybody on your way out. I guess he gets kudos for choosing the latter. Either way, he was gone.

He's universally hated by students on campus, though. At some point that has to get old and one probably just wants to get out of that toxic environment and take a long vacation.

I like Schissel's style so far though - don't talk too much, just pull the trigger.

Back to the people.

I like Schissel's style so far though - don't talk too much, just pull the trigger.

Well, I think he's tired of the athletic department being a clown shown and media circus b/c it distracts from everything else. He needed to clean house. I imagine a lot more people in that department will end up be laid off, as well, when the next AD is hired. Brandon had added a lot of employees and I get the feeling that Schlissel wants to downsize a little bit. It's somewhat telling that they didn't just promote someone from the current athletic department to handle the day to day duties for the next month and instead brought in an outsider.

I don't feel like giving him much credit for messing up the dept and then taking the 3 million in return for just going away quietly instead of just going away.

I don't know how I feel about bringing in another corporate type, even if his only job is the search - would rather sees sports expertise return to center stage.

I give him zero credit for how he ran the department.

I do give him credit for having the sense to simply walk away.

My perception is a lot of people in that position can't admit defeat even when it is painfully obvious.

My perception is a lot of people in that position can't admit defeat even when it is painfully obvious.

Brandon is probably a Type A personality, and those types of individuals can have difficulty admitting when they are wrong. It doesn't help that Brandon is jerkish by nature.

I dont care about college sports much but I assume if fans know who the AD is then thats bad news.

I dont care about college sports much but I assume if fans know who the AD is then thats bad news.

Generally speaking, that's true. Brandon had become the focus of all UM athletics for all the wrong reasons.