RedRamage

What's wrong with the Offense?

Someone should tell this to Lombardi, who insists on ground and pound with a second-rate back:

Considering only accepted penalties, so far there have been 137 defensive pass interference walk-offs this season, compared to 110 at the same point in the season a decade ago. That's a 25 percent increase. There have also been 137 accepted defensive holding penalties, compared to 99 at this juncture a decade ago. That's a 38 percent increase.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11876599

All it took for Arizona to beat Detroit last weekend was two deep balls.

I have complained that Stafford hasn't developed into a QB, rather than simply a chucker, but if that's the case, at least let the guy chuck it.

@davebirkett: Joe Lombardi said the Lions are paring down their game-ready playbook by about 20% in an effort to jumpstart their offense

Here's this.

its not stafford, its the offensive line.

All of the above.

I do like to see Lombardi trimming the playbook. It seems that he may have been too in love with the complexities of the Saints offense - but Brees and company learned that complexity over several seasons.

EDIT: If this story (which I read after posting) is accurate - that players were running the wrong routes or didn't know who they were supposed to block - this is inexcusable, and totally on Lombardi. At the very least he is taking responsibility and trimming the offense, rather than throwing his players under the bus. After all, he is by far the major variable from previous seasons to this one.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/11/detroit_lions_cutting_number_o.html

Edited by Jason_R

Someone should tell this to Lombardi, who insists on ground and pound with a second-rate back:

NFL More flags on D spins scoreboards - ESPN

All it took for Arizona to beat Detroit last weekend was two deep balls.

I have complained that Stafford hasn't developed into a QB, rather than simply a chucker, but if that's the case, at least let the guy chuck it.

Interesting that penalties are up so much, yet scoring is down. I don't know what to make of that to be honest.

What's wrong with the offense?

- New, rookie OC

- Starting RT in and out of the lineup, not healthy when in

- Backup RT out for the season

- Starting RG and probably our best OL currently out

- Calvin Johnson, one of the best players in the game when he's right, has missed almost half the games and hasn't been himself

- Bush, who gave us 1,000 yards rushing at 4.5 ypc and 500 receiving yards last year, has been banged up all year and has less than 400 total yards this year, at 3.6 ypc.

- His backup(who is not effective as a rusher), has also missed time

- Reiff, our starting LT, went out of the last game.

- All 3 of our top TEs have missed time, sometimes concurrently

- Rookie TE trying to work his way into the mix

- Raiola's getting old

- Tough slate of defenses recently, with Arizona and Miami being top 5 and NE hitting its stride recent and having a top 2-3 secondary.

What's wrong with the offense?

- New, rookie OC

- Starting RT in and out of the lineup, not healthy when in

- Backup RT out for the season

- Starting RG and probably our best OL currently out

- Calvin Johnson, one of the best players in the game when he's right, has missed almost half the games and hasn't been himself

- Bush, who gave us 1,000 yards rushing at 4.5 ypc and 500 receiving yards last year, has been banged up all year and has less than 400 total yards this year, at 3.6 ypc.

- His backup(who is not effective as a rusher), has also missed time

- Reiff, our starting LT, went out of the last game.

- All 3 of our top TEs have missed time, sometimes concurrently

- Rookie TE trying to work his way into the mix

- Raiola's getting old

- Tough slate of defenses recently, with Arizona and Miami being top 5 and NE hitting its stride recent and having a top 2-3 secondary.

Matt Stafford's QBR Sunday was 19.1; only Mettenberger, RGIII, Vick, and Bortles were worse. For the season, he ranks 21st at 53.3 (average is 50.0), essentially tied with Alex Smith, and behind the two-headed monster of Josh McCown and Mike Glennon.

Stafford has been in the NFL long enough that there is no reason to make excuses for him. He is just not a leader, and will never take control of this offense the way a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton Manning would. As Lombardi flounders, someone needs to take control of the offense, but it won't be Stafford.

Stafford is a franchise QB in the sense that he has the huge contract, but at this point, I think one has to conclude that he never will be the kind of leader that the great franchises have.

Matt Stafford's QBR Sunday was 19.1; only Mettenberger, RGIII, Vick, and Bortles were worse. For the season, he ranks 21st at 53.3 (average is 50.0), essentially tied with Alex Smith, and behind the two-headed monster of Josh McCown and Mike Glennon.

Stafford has been in the NFL long enough that there is no reason to make excuses for him. He is just not a leader, and will never take control of this offense the way a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton Manning would. As Lombardi flounders, someone needs to take control of the offense, but it won't be Stafford.

Stafford is a franchise QB in the sense that he has the huge contract, but at this point, I think one has to conclude that he never will be the kind of leader that the great franchises have.

You did see the numerous drops - including two in the endzone, right?

That's your opinion. Many don't agree. You look at the numbers without context.

Stafford has struggled a bit, but I think the inconsistency around him is the main issue. We have the 30th ranked run game, our OL is 24th on Football Outsiders and Calvin hasn't contributed much. The TEs have been non factors. Even Pettigrew, who is what he is at this point, usually gives you 3 or 4 catches in most games. He has done nothing this year, same for Ebron and Fauria.

Stafford is always going to have imperfect accuracy. Its a flaw of his. I think he's a good player in spite of that flaw.

You did see the numerous drops - including two in the endzone' date=' right?[/quote']

if the lions roster is as talented as you say it is, why are they dropping so many passes?

All their problems can be traced to the oline, imo. That being said, stafford was not accurate yesterday (again) even when he wasnt being chased all over.

if ever there was a week to get better, it should be this one. The bears defense is terrible.

Stafford has struggled a bit, but I think the inconsistency around him is the main issue. We have the 30th ranked run game, our OL is 24th on Football Outsiders and Calvin hasn't contributed much. The TEs have been non factors. Even Pettigrew, who is what he is at this point, usually gives you 3 or 4 catches in most games. He has done nothing this year, same for Ebron and Fauria.

Stafford is always going to have imperfect accuracy. Its a flaw of his. I think he's a good player in spite of that flaw.

i agree on stafford. He's "good." Not elite. And he has been really inconsistent.

and if youre trying to run 3 te sets with ebron fauria and pettigrew, youre not going to get too many yards. Ebron has been awful so far.

Stafford rated on pff as the 33rd best qb. Right ahead of jake locker and right behind jay cutler.

i agree on stafford. He's "good." Not elite. And he has been really inconsistent.

and if youre trying to run 3 te sets with ebron fauria and pettigrew, youre not going to get too many yards. Ebron has been awful so far.

Yah, I've never put him in the Rodgers/Brady/P.Manning group. He's as good as most of the rest though IMO and I like his ability in the pocket better than most of them.

Stafford rated on pff as the 33rd best qb. Right ahead of jake locker and right behind jay cutler.

I didn't hear you banging this drum when he was 7th last year, just sayin'....

I didn't hear you banging this drum when he was 7th last year, just sayin'....

actually, i dont agree with pff. I dont think he should be that low this year.

if the lions roster is as talented as you say it is, why are they dropping so many passes?

All their problems can be traced to the oline, imo. That being said, stafford was not accurate yesterday (again) even when he wasnt being chased all over.

if ever there was a week to get better, it should be this one. The bears defense is terrible.

Because drop passes happen - especially when they are passed to our third string TE and fourth string WR. It happens.

Now our execution needs to be better - much better. The transition to the new offense has been difficult, and I have talked about the difficulty of that transition from the beginning of the year. We have to right the ship. Now. And, as you mentioned, this is a good week to do it.

Luckily if we can survive on Thanksgiving, things are looking good for us to get Reiff and Warford back in two weeks.

actually, i dont agree with pff. I dont think he should be that low this year.

Fair enough. You probably should have included this in your post though. I think QBs are what PFF does worst honestly.

Because drop passes happen - especially when they are passed to our third string TE and fourth string WR. It happens.

Now our execution needs to be better - much better. The transition to the new offense has been difficult' date=' and I have talked about the difficulty of that transition from the beginning of the year. We have to right the ship. Now. And, as you mentioned, this is a good week to do it.

Luckily if we can survive on Thanksgiving, things are looking good for us to get Reiff and Warford back in two weeks.[/quote']

but its more than just the third string te or 4th string wr. It's everyone on the team other than golden tate. Its the inaccurate passes from stafford too.

Im willing to give ebron a pass because he's a rookie, but he's been poor. Calvin hasnt looked the same since week one but that might be injury. Bush is nothing to me, riddick is better. The oline is devoid of talent other than warford (who hasnt been nearly as good this year) and rieff (who is an average talent at best).

Im hoping to god they destroy the bears. This town will be insufferable if they dont.