RedRamage

What's wrong with the Offense?

Just looking over some of the WP stats from yesterdays game. Even after Tate made the catch to get the Lions to the 40 the Lions chances of winning was still on 21%. Riddick's catch increased the probability to 40% after his fantastic one handed catch.

Also, before the TD pass to the Tate the Lions WP was at 3 percent, and only jumped to 12 percent after the TD.

Edited by T&P_Fan

The missed kick was a bad snap and a bad hold.

Was the hold bad or was it just a case of a bad snap made it difficult to provide a good hold?

Not sure if that made sense as I was typing it...

Made complete sense. The snap was surely bad, and when I looked at it again it looked like Martin had time to get the ball placed correctly, but it looked like he didn't get it fully in position. Also Prater slipped. The 5 yard penalty was a blessing in two ways. Obviously we got to re-kick the missed FG, but also Prater got to move back 5 yards where Prater said the turf was better for footing.

Echo I was curious if you read my analysis of WPA and it made sense to you.

Yes and no. Your explanation makes some sense but if that is the case, what is the real purpose of the stat? It just doesn't seem like a stat I would ever use and I imagine it will get thought of as more of a "WAR" stat and that isn't accurate.

New offensive system + injuries to vital players + inconsistent quarterback = shaky offense

I suspect they'll be much improved after the bye.

Thank god the bye week is behind us, that was brutal.

Bush, Calvin and Fauria practiced today. Ebron was running on the side with trainers. Only 3 players missed practice: Pettigrew, Ebron and Fairley.

This is will be a real good test for the offense this week. Finally getting some bodies back headed into a game against the #3 defense.

That Miami pass rush scares me I'm not going to lie. Gotta make plays to the backs and TEs and Calvin has to win his matchup vs. Grimes.

I think Calvin Johnson is still banged up. They did not throw to him that much today.

I also think we are playing a little conservatively knowing the defense can get the offense field position.

The offensive line has been really bad, and to me that's the biggest problem with it. I think I can count on one hand how many times Stafford actually had a clean pocket to work with and wasn't under duress. The offense basically can't do any long developing plays cause of the line(including play action) which hinders them big time. When you're basically forced to do quick routes it puts you behind the 8 ball.

Its bizarre. Even if you are a Stafford "hater", we've never seen the offense struggle to put up points and yards under him like this before. Not to mention that he has his best weapons right now. The OL has had its issues and losing Warford sucked, but I don't think it was the difference today. Starting to think it might be Lombardi, and I mentioned in the other thread that I think firing him immediately may be the smart move at this point.

Edited by Nastradamus

Lombardi was the coach I was most excited about.

Fire him.

I can't believe I actually miss Scott Linehan.

Yep. Linehan was too conservative too, but he schemes well for the OL.

Lombardi is lost out there.

Its bizarre. Even if you are a Stafford "hater", we've never seen the offense struggle to put up points and yards under him like this before. Not to mention that he has his best weapons right now. The OL has had its issues and losing Warford sucked, but I don't think it was the difference today. Starting to think it might be Lombardi, and I mentioned in the other thread that I think firing him immediately may be the smart move at this point.

It was IMO. Both sides of the ball we got man handled at the line.

People, stop looking at stats and watch the games..............Stafford focuses on ONE receiver way too often (usually Calvin) and does not seem to see the field. Even when he has time and throws to open or semi-open receivers the throws are off their mark far too often. The 4th quarter heroics are great, but with 6 years under his belt and the pieces around him, he shouldn't have to have comebacks, he should have comfortable leads the way the defense is playing. Best Lion QB in my memory (mid 70s), but that ain't sayin' much.

People, stop looking at stats and watch the games..............Stafford focuses on ONE receiver way too often (usually Calvin) and does not seem to see the field. Even when he has time and throws to open or semi-open receivers the throws are off their mark far too often. The 4th quarter heroics are great, but with 6 years under his belt and the pieces around him, he shouldn't have to have comebacks, he should have comfortable leads the way the defense is playing. Best Lion QB in my memory (mid 70s), but that ain't sayin' much.

Little of that is really remotely true.

Disagreed. They moved the ball much better with inferior pieces.

Hard to know how bad the play calling was without breaking down the O-line play in more detail than you can do from a network telecast. Superficially, you would have thought more misdirection to take the Cards out of the big rush would have been the way to go, but even misdirection will fail if the D is flat out beating you off the blocks and out running you to the sideline even off the blitz. Then again a better running game........ I don't quite know why the O-line is getting more a pass than Stafford lately when they still can't make a single yard against a defense looking pass.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Little of that is really remotely true.

I don't think Stafford is 100% to blame like MCS seems to' date=' but I also think much of what he said has truth to it. Stafford focusing on a single target has been a theme. Now, to be fair, that was primarily due to him not having many targets outside of Johnson but this year [i']should have been different but there are stretches where he falls back into that routine.

Stafford has never been a very accurate QB, his comp% rank the last 4 years (22, 30, 18, 5). A major "knock" on Stafford is that he has the ability to make any throw but is inaccurate.

The 4th quarter heroic are great, but like MCS said, we shouldn't have to rely on heroic comebacks at this point. The offense (including Stafford) should be better than this. The weapons are there; Johnson, Tate, Bell, Bush, Ebron, Pettigrew, Fauria, etc. We should not be 26th in points per game. If our offense didn't disappear for long stretches throughout games we wouldn't have to rely on luck and last minute heroics.

Stafford is also the best Lions' QB in recent memory.

I think quite a bit of his post was true.