redshark63

2014 AFL Thread

More Moya:

"The one great thing about being in a lineup like this is they can't really pitch around one guy to get to another guy. Mo's got that going for him now that he's got some pretty good hitters around him. But still, just seeing him in the few games he's been in, I think he's making an effort to stay in a little longer. For me, this is really where it's going to help him a lot. I think it'll be a huge advantage."

That's one advantage the Tigers, an organization that sometimes opted for winter ball for prospects in past years, saw in sending Moya to the AFL. It was important enough, assistant general manager Al Avila said, that they negotiated with Moya's Dominican League team, Estrellas, to delay his arrival there.

"They had planned for him to play, but knowing how the situations there can be, if he had a bad week or two he may not [play]," Avila said. "We got permission for him to go to Arizona, where we know he's a priority player and he's going to play every day. And then from there, he will go to the winter ball club, and then if there's an opportunity, obviously he'll play."

The Arizona Fall League wraps up shortly before Thanksgiving, which should give Moya a chance to take a short break and join Estrellas for December. Once the Dominican League playoffs begin after the holidays, younger players like Moya usually give way to experienced hitters, though hot hitters sometimes will stay on.

Between Erie, Detroit and Arizona, Moya has played in 156 games this year, though his 11 big league games were all late-game appearances. Depending on Dominican League play, he could well approach 175-180 games played, a major jump for someone whose career high before this year was 93 games at Class A Lakeland in 2013.

Moya can use AFL as springboard to Tigers | tigers.com

TigersProspectReport ‏@TigersProspects 41s41 seconds ago

Moya is the only member of the Tigers org in the all star game today. He's starting and hitting 4th

He's ok.

He's having a half-empy half-full kind of AFL. OPS is great and walks are up some but his K rate is through the roof >33%.

Tom Reisenweber ‏@ETNreisenweber

.@erie_seawolves alum Steven Moya with a 2-run home run and an RBI double for Glendale in the @MLBazFallLeague. He has 5 HR, 18 RBIs in AFL.

Tom Reisenweber ‏@ETNreisenweber

.@erie_seawolves alum Steven Moya with a 2-run home run and an RBI double for Glendale in the @MLBazFallLeague. He has 5 HR, 18 RBIs in AFL.

Most encouraging is, he hit it off a LHP.

He will admit he is still working on pitch recognition / strike zone judgement. I wouldn't put it past him improve on these aspects, but I'd let him do it at Toledo first.

Moya is going to have to regress to stay in AAA out of ST, IMO, unless DD lands a deal for a real CF. Tough to think that Rasmus is a real option given the spiking occurrence a few years back, the estimated $10M rental fee, and his uneven production throughout the years at the dish and with the glove.