Deleterious

2014 Preseason Games

Threes, Long Twos:

2008: 117, 246

2009: 102, 197

2010: 13, 250 (not sure 13 or 7 is correct on three attempts; different sites show different numbers)

2011: 178, 348

2012: 113, 430

2013: 221, 301

2014: 265, 283

Do you se a pattern here? Not much of one. Most years, he is somewhere between a 1:1 to 1:1.5 ratio three pointer:two pointer. The only year that would prove your point is 2012. For the most part, the more threes he shoots the more long twos he tends to shoot...which tells me it is a more a mentality on offense of either floating on the perimeter or attacking the rim. If he shoots less threes this year, he is also more likely to shoot less long twos based on history.

I am assuming your percentage breakdown uses total shots in the denominator. That is a different argument than the ratio of threes to long twos. If you think he should take more threes because he shoots a relative strong percentage from the corner and on the the break threes, then you are also probably going to have to live with more long twos. Just out of curiosity, what were his percentages and total shots attempted in those two categories?

With no offense intended to those involved, this conversation makes me want to bash my head against a wall.

Hopefully Josh can give us 3-4 defensive win shares(or however you care to quantify playing near elite level defense) and not be a negative offensively. That's my best hope at this point.

With no offense intended to those involved, this conversation makes me want to bash my head against a wall.

Hopefully Josh can give us 3-4 defensive win shares(or however you care to quantify playing near elite level defense) and not be a negative offensively. That's my best hope at this point.

+1

I would like to know the % on mid-range shots that are off a pass that would be considered an assist. Larry Brown would be a good example of a coach who used mid range as a part of his offense. I found his dislike of the 3 point line maddening, but he was successful, and he did call a lot of plays where 18 foot shots were part of the read. He would abuse Tayshaun if he didn't take the shot.

It is also why he was a maniac on the sideline, because he probably knew that if he didn't control the type of mid-rangey shots his team took, they would sink his offense.

Basically, Morey isn't going to win a title simply by eliminating mid range shots and over valuing players like Kevin Martin almost exclusively based on FT rate and 3 pt ability. Kevin Martin is a loser even though he fits the profile to a Tee. He doesn't work off some other smart guy's 5 year old script, that is what the other guys in the NBA do.

He is going to win a title by getting better players who have an unstoppable brand of offense and by finding players who will give max effort on D in the playoffs. I personally think he was smart enough to see that Chandler Parsons was redundant on his team and that is why he gambled with him last year. Because if it blew up in his face, it wasn't the back breaker his critics thought it was. At least not for his team based on how it is currently constructed. I think he'd just assume trot out Ariza over Chandler on a 3/45 deal. I think he values Patrick Beverly more than 90% of his team. I think he is working off a script that has evolved and improved and his wannabees in the League are still working off a script written 5 years ago.

I am sure if he could do it over, he would have traded Parsons, I think Parsons to him, was only allowed FA for Sign and Trade purposes. Sign Chandler over the cap and then deal him for a player he wanted. Like Carmelo, who has mid range as big part of his game.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

I would like to know the % on mid-range shots that are off a pass that would be considered an assist. Larry Brown would be a good example of a coach who used mid range as a part of his offense. I found his dislike of the 3 point line maddening, but he was successful, and he did call a lot of plays where 18 foot shots were part of the read. He would abuse Tayshaun if he didn't take the shot.

It is also why he was a maniac on the sideline, because he probably knew that if he didn't control the type of mid-rangey shots his team took, they would sink his offense.

Percentage of FGM that were assisted.

Less than 5 feet = 56.7%

5-9 = 28.1%

10-14 = 28.6%

15-19 = 68.2%

20-24 = 82.4%

25-29 = 93.2%

Pistons are on FSD today at 1PM. This is the only preseason game on TV locally.

Todays game is also on NBATV for those living out of the area.

I loved the article today about van gundy chastising Smith for being lazy and not getting back on defense. Is it a coincidence that Smith missed practice with a groin injury after being called out?

On offense Smith should be chained to the block, the minute he wanders 10 feet from the basket bad things happen. Van gundy should put a dog collar on his neck so that every time he shoots a 15 foot jumper he gets shocked.

You talk about a conversation making you want to bash your head in. Then bring up DWS. The irony.

Hey, fair enough. I know how you feel about them by now. To each their own.

Again though, no offense intended. It wasn't your opinions that made me say it, just the fact that we as Piston fans have to talk about whether Smith takes too many long 2s or too many 3s or both.

For all the grief we're giving Scrub...the Pistons have taken primarily long 2's ever since the quick start by Detroit forced a Bullets time out(a quick start featuring 2 alley-oops, a driving lay-up and a fade away by Drummond) which allowed the Wizards right back into the game. Lots of quick long twos.

The shot selection by this team is garbage.

anyone know why when Detroit is on NBATV it's always the opposing teams broadcast?

KCP goes down awkwardly on a wet spot under the basket and has to be helped to the locker room with a knee injury. Has all the makings of a ligament tear. I really hope that's not the case because he's been one of the bright spots for this team so far.

Drummond has the hook going today with both hands but has struggled with foul trouble. Sitting in the bench with 5.

They said a knee sprain for KCP. The girl (Former nurse) said that is just a standard reply until they can get an MRI. What a shame it would be to lose him since he has looked so good.

Even though Monroe airballed the shot, again they got a good look out of a timeout at the end of the game. 2-2 on that so far in games I was able to watch.

Only watched the last four minutes of this game, but:

--Drummond looked eager and competent with the ball on the low block

--I still hate that Kyle Singler gets real PT. Watching him get minutes at SG is awful, injuries or not.

--If I was going to turn down a contract extension, as a big with no value other than as a rebounder and 8' and in scorer--that would set me up for life--I would definitely live in the weight room over the summer. Monroe's lack of strength today showed twice late today with the rock in scoring position.

I am sick to my stomach thinking about losing KCP for a significant period of time. He is one of the few reasons I was looking forward to watching the Pistons this year.

We can (rightly) rue the Darko pick, but Thabeet makes Darko look like Olajuwon.

How was that guy the #2 pick?

How big of a bust is Otto Porter?

I remember some folks around here being really high on him...

I am sick to my stomach thinking about losing KCP for a significant period of time. He is one of the few reasons I was looking forward to watching the Pistons this year.

Exactly how i feel. I was really looking forward to KCP taking a big step forward in his development in SVG's system. Apparently the word is that the Pistons dodged a bullet and that it's only a knee sprain but i'll await final confirmation before feeling too comfortable.

I saw bits and pieces of the game on replay (it's really hard to watch long stretches of preseason game), and the one thing that stuck out to me is that Drummond actually looks comfortable in the low post and has developed a nice little jump hook. I honestly didn't think he had it in him but it appears that he has put in some real work this offseason. If he can develop a legit low post game, that will really lessen the loss of Monroe and give the Pistons more options to build around Drummond.